1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

More Info On A Supplement Said To Kill Viruses

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Vicki, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Studies performed at the Respiratory Virology Branch, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia, Monolaurin was found effective against 14 human RNA and DNA enveloped viruses in cell culture (3). These included influenza, RSV, Rubeola, Newcastle's, Coronavirus, Herpes Simplex types 1 & 2, Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) and cytomegalovirus. (Monolaurin has no effect on naked viruses, such as polio, encephalitis virus, coxsachie, or pox viruses.).

Monolaurin removed all measurable infectivity by disintegrating the virus envelope.

JOH you are familiar with this supplement? I would be interested in your thoughts about it.

2. centrallanding

centrallanding New Member

Apr 2, 2015
    These reviews on WebMD make me want to run out and get some:
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientreview-1149-monolaurin.aspx?drugid=1149&drugname=monolaurin&pageIndex=0&sortby=3&conditionFilter=-500

Cheryl

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I know its amazing on amazon great reviews too. It would be wonderful if it proves to do all it says it does.

4. Vicki

Vicki Guest

it would be better than an antiviral for Meniere's its OTC, no doctors to beg for a script. and it kills the virus not just suppresses it plus boosts the immune system. I wish there were human trials but how exciting to find something like this.
    If anyone tires it please let us know if it helps with MM

5. serbian

serbian Member

Mar 25, 2015
    This really sounds exciting!

6. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Not familiar with this. But read a pile of reviews of it on Amazon; looks interesting. If I had full-blown Meniere's symptoms, I'd give this stuff a try. Not expensive, few side effects.

Someone, give it a 6-week trial, and let us know how it worked.

--John of Ohio

7. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Thanks for your input JOH I hope someone tries it, would be great to know, if av's weren't doing such a good job controlling my symptoms I would too, but if someone does try it and it works I might go off antivirals and try it.

8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    No prescription required. Over the counter, and few or no side effects. Inexpensive.

Go at it, someone.

--John of Ohio

9. Sharon406

Sharon406 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    JOH, I've been reading about this and the dozens of reviews. I've been on Acyclovir for almost 8 months with limited results. Also take 2000 lysine a day. But the daily dizziness continues. I am always looking for something new to try and have seen no negatives in trying this Monolaurin although I couldn't find anyone with Meniere's who has tried it. Not sure which brand to try as there seems to be several on Amazon. I may just go to my local health food store and see what they carry. After two years of daily symptoms and trying UCC, acupuncture, loso, supplements, and anti virals, I'm willing to try just about anything.

So thank you Vicki for continuing to research new treatments even though you are doing well with anti virals, and thank you JOH for offering your time and opinions even though you have enjoyed control for years on your plan. I appreciate every idea presented here because I'm still searching for my "magic pill".

10. Vicki

Vicki Guest

It seems it has been around for quite awhile and on my searches many nutritionists suggest it to their patients
    ie:
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/tips/articles/monolaurin_a_natural_immune_boosting_powerhouse/
    as well as articles:
    ie:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/do-turmeric-and-monolaurin-supress-the-herpes-virus-which-may-be-one-cause-of-hypertension

this is off a herpes treatment site,
    Dosage should be individualized, and Dr. Jon J. Kabara, the physician/researcher who developed monolaurin, says that the usual recommended initial dose is 1.5 grams once or twice a day for one or two weeks. The dose can be increased to 3.0 grams once or twice daily thereafter. A maintenance dose can be 3.0 grams two or three times a day. The idea is to start with a low dose and then increase it gradually until you notice a positive response. Take monolaurin only under the supervision of your physician, who can determine your best dosage and monitor your progress. Dr. Kabara has, however, generously offered to respond to individual questions about dosage submitted with orders via his Web site, www.lauricidin.com.

Here is a pdf written by some doctors:
    http://www.touroinstitute.com/natural%20bactericidal.pdf
    Conclusions
    Monolaurin has Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) status
    and is considered to be nontoxic. It is effective against
    many microorganisms and can be taken on a daily basis, given
    that evidence suggests it does not create antiviral or antibacterial
    resistance.
    The general recommended adult dose of monolaurin is 1–3 g.
    Higher amounts can be used to achieve desired results if necessary.
    It is safe for children (ages 3–10) with the recommended
    dose being smaller—30 mg, one to three times per day. Monolaurin
    is available as minipellets that should be swallowed and not
    chewed.19
    Coconut oil, coconut cream, grated coconut, and other products
    listed in Tables 3 and 4 are excellent sources of lauric acid
    and the other medium-chain fatty acids as well. Coconut oil provides
    mostly medium-chain triglycerides that are rapidly
    absorbed and transported to the mitochondria where they are
    utilized for fuel and may be less likely to be stored as body fat.

here is a study by a doctor
    COCONUT OIL IN HEALTH AND DISEASE: ITS AND MONOLAURIN’S
    POTENTIAL AS CURE FOR HIV/AIDS*
    http://www.coconutoil.com/Dayrit.pdf

The Monolaurin Trial on HIV-AIDS
    The first clinical trial (pilot study) using Monolaurin for 6 months as monotherapy on 15 HIV
    patients was just completed (12)

Just some more info about it for anyone who is interested..
    There are tons of information on the net and studies on pubmed.

11. Vicki

Vicki Guest

True Sharon nothing about someone with Meniere's taking it but if someone's MM is caused by HSV or a fungal infection then it might be something to think about since this is said to kill HSV 1 and 2 along with other viruses and fungal infections.

12. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    JOH has never claimed to be a medical doctor, he shares his opinions and his findings during his trial/error/research in helping himself. He responded on this as it was a direct request for his opinion.

It is up to each person to read the different research papers, ingredients, findings, etc and make THEIR OWN decision on what is best for them.

Vicki - thank you for continuing to look for research and information that may help someone (especially as your issues are under control).

JOH - thank you for your time in sharing your thoughts as well. Similar to Vicki,your issues are under control but you still spend time helping others.

For me, the one thing that I have come to believe for certain is that this darn disease/syndrome impacts everyone different and each person responds in a unique manner as well. So all new or potentially new information IMO is always welcomed and appreciated.

13. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Thank you nicgmer and Sharon. I appreciate it. I post new things I find, hoping it will help someone in some way. I can't convey how much I feel I owe these forums. Suffering with this disease for 5 decades with no hope in sight, then to one day, read posts about antivirals on here, tried them and in 4 days get such relief that has continued for over 2 years, it is still an amazing miracle to me. I wish so much and so hard that everyone get the relief I get. No one should have to suffer with this beast.

I agree with you 100% percent nicmger that everyone needs to read up on these things, research them and decide for themselves.

14. centrallanding

centrallanding New Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Thank you Vicki for posting info on this. Several of the reviewers of Monolaurin on Amazon said that it was one of the supplements recommended in a book called 'Clean Gut' by Alejandro Junger. Before my husband started having symptoms of Meniere's he suffered for 2-3 years with what was diagnosed as 'Irritable Bowel'. He finally found some fiber combinations (one called Cholestyramine which is a prescription powder that you mix with a liquid, the other Metamucil wafers) that brought the IBS under control. In the last 6 months while the Meniere's symptoms were starting he noticed that he didn't need the stuff for IBS. The IBS seemed to have disappeared. Hmmmmmm. I got the 'Clean Gut' book and will be reading it on our journey to Boston.
    Cheryl

15. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Thank you for this information Vicki. I’ve been following this thread and your other one about Monolaurin with great interest and have decided to give it a try so I ordered a jar of Lauricidin® this morning. I’ll let everyone know how I do once it arrives and I begin taking it.

Wish me luck!

Lulu

16. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Good luck Lulu I hope it helps you!

17. deadeye

deadeye Member

May 12, 2014
    ordered some this morning; "let johnny try it he'll eat anything" ha will keep you posted! blessings to all

18. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    Good luck, Lulu. I really hope it helps!

As someone who can't convince my Oto or my GP to let me try antivirals again, I am very interested in this.

19. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Thanks Vicki! I also have gut/digestive issues on occasion so I'm anxious to see if it helps with that as well.

Good luck to you deadeye. I hope you have good results from it!

Oh I had the very same problem RedBird. I couldn't convince my OTO or PCP to write me a prescription for antivirals either even though I had cold sores on my lips each time I went to see them. So very frustrating.....

20. Vicki

Vicki Guest

good luck! deadyeye and redwing too!

Lulu and Cheryl.. many of us with MM have gut issues I have IBS, I suffered from a bad gut since I am a young girl. I so hope this helps you all!