Anyone ever heard of this Dr./Treatment out of Italy?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by SweetTater, Jul 26, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter New Member

Thanks for the report, strngday.

From La Torre's website I was under the impression that the drugs were Phase 3 of the program. What he told you, however, is that Phase 1 is water + diet + steroid injections + drugs. Is that right? Can you give us some idea about Phases 2 and 3? Do they involve other types of treatment, or are they repeats of Phase 1?

I wasn't able to find a free copy of the study by the Japanese researchers, but references to it disclosed a few details. The test group was treated solely with water, while the control group received isosorbide and an anti-vertigo med. At the end of two years the test group had fared better than the control group, registering reductions in all symptoms, with the improvements appearing in the last six months of the study. The amount of water consumed daily by test subjects was 35 ml per kg of body weight (in addition to water consumed in beverages like coffee, tea and juice).

When I first read about La Torre's program last week, I immediately started consuming more water. I tried to reach the 3 liters he refers to, but I was never able to get much past 2 liters. (Now that I know that the Japanese researchers would have had me drinking about a liter and half based on body weight, I don't feel like such a wimp.) The first few days there was a reduction in tinnitus - not huge but perceptible - which has persisted. I think I'll continue with the water while I try to think of how to find a cooperative doctor to prescribe the steroids and "neuro drugs".

2. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Again - thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I will pray that you find a Dr. willing to help. This gives me a renewed hope that there is a promising treatment for this beast! I wish you the best and please keep us updated on your progress!
    And thanks for the link on the water article!

3. strngday

strngday New Member

Phase 1 involves: Water, diet, steroids , and otovent. This lasts for about 10 days. Then you rest for 5 and start again. You do this 3 times. If you have success, then you can stop. If not, you begin phase 2.

Phase two consists of: The same as above+ Mannitol through IV. Again you do this 3 times. If you don't have success again, you enter Phase 3.

Phase 3 consists of all of the above + the hyperbaric therapy.

The neuro-drugs must be taken for 3 mths.

The diet is meant to help retain water in the body. He does not want any exercise to be taking place during this time either. Sweat/loss of water. He suggests that you slam a liter of water upon waking, another liter between breakfast and lunch and the the final liter between lunch and dinner.

I too was given some hope from this guy. Somebody has to figure something out. Oh, he also said that otolaryngologists are the worst doctors. He seemed pretty fed up with trying to convince others about his treatment.

4. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

strngday,
    Thanks so much for sharing! I remember reading that Japanese study.Is it possible to post the diet?
    I have ordered the otovent.
    Am really hoping that you get some relief.
    Again thanks for sharing your experience.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I thought you had MAV. Do you have MD too?

6. strngday

strngday New Member

I hope we all get some relief soon. I can't post the diet bc it is a pdf file, but I'm more than happy to send it along if you send me your email.

7. james

That's what we are thinking,my ent and I.But not sure 100 %,if aybody can be with this.I have the hearing loss and have had drop attacks which can be migraine.They say that mav doesn't cause hearing loss,but where are those studies at ?
    Burd lost her hearing too.The docs I have seen are not sure,etc.

Anyway I am just covering all the bases in my search for health.

8. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

From what I've read/understand from Dr. La Torre's website it doesn't really matter the cause of the hydrops, the treatment supposedly works no matter what is causing them. Does anyone else understand it this way?

9. james

I agree Elaine,that's the way I took it too.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter New Member

That's my understanding, too.

Strngday, thank you very much for sharing your experience, information and thoughts. Very helpful.

11. strngday

strngday New Member

My pleasure!

12. strngday

strngday New Member

I forgot to mention what to eat for breakfast and times to eat. Breakfast should be either coffee or tea and fruit. Again, if you have coffee on day 1 then you should have tea on day 2. He suggested chamomile tea. He also wants us to eat according to Mediterranean diet times. So breakfast, lunch around 2 and dinner at 8.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter New Member

Strngday, thanks for the additional info. Did he say anything about things that are not listed in his diet? I'm thinking of things like grains (bread, rice, pasta, etc.) and dairy products (cheese, yogurt, milk, etc.) ... and let us not forget that important food group, chocolate.

It seems that this diet could pose some serious difficulties for vegetarians like me. Legume sources of protein are out. Even the types of fish I have occasionally for health reasons are all on the forbidden list. Big challenge!

14. Jupiter

Jupiter New Member

I should have read the material more carefully. Even though I don't know Italian, the meaning of the Italian words is clear: "Pasta, rice, polenta, soups and pasta dishes in general and cheese, eggs, mushrooms and soy-based food are prohibited. This diet is not compatible with a vegetarian diet." :(

15. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

Thanks, Strngday...this sounds promising, I too wonder about the diet..did I miss where you posted that part? Or do we need a consult ourselves? Once again, as in so many health issues, water and hydration do seem to be a key part of any plan..funny how we get too busy for this simple,free part of our diet...

Thanks again! :)

16. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

If you PM her your email addy she will send you the PDF file of the diet.

17. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Jupiter - on Dr. La Torre's website under The Treatment he specifically says the diet is not compatible with a strict vegetarian diet. Sorry.:(

18. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

Thanks! :)

19. strngday

strngday New Member

Jupiter...he is very accommodating. He specifically asked me if I was a vegetarian...he said we need to eat a lot of meat. I would try emailing him to see if he can modify the diet to work for vegetarians.

20. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Go for the high protien and low carb diet, works for me. i can still wear the clothes i wore in colege