Mastoidectomy - Endolymphatic Sac Decompression

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Verti_Geaux, May 28, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

I had no jaw pain at all Anne-Marie. I'm not sure about what you and Lisa have experienced. Anyone else out there who can comment on the jaw pain?

My issues after the surgery all related to dizziness - oscillopsia and disequilibrium. I also had a lot of motor control issues.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Amethyst

2. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Not to scare you Anne-Marie, but the infection that started in my ear spread to my jaw area. Keep an eye on your pain. Call right away if you develop a fever. By the time I went in to the hospital the whole left side of my face was swollen and I couldn't move it. The most pain I have ever been in...
    For you though, it could be b/c everything is connected in there. Keep me posted, Lisa

3. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

It's not bad pain, just little ones. There's nothing coming out of my ear and my incisions are clean. I had my friend check everything a while ago. I haven't had any drainage or seepage. And I showered today! Yea!!! I'm still on the couch. Decided not to go to the ballgames. Daughter pitched the first one and they won 15-1 !!! They are about to play the 2nd one, but I'm afraid of that heat. So, I am home........... : (

4. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Good move staying home. Congrats on the shower. Awesome feeling to be clean, isn't it? I am so happy your jaw area doesn't seem to be getting infected. The sharp little pains are nerves regenerating after being cut during surgery. Lisa

5. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

It KILLED me to stay at home. I wanted to cry b/c I am there for EVERY event! But, I just couldn't do it! She has another game at 7:00 p.m. tonight, so I'll play that by EAR! LOL!!! It's overcast today, so it may not be as hot. It's double-elimination. They lost the 2nd game last night, so tonight might be their last game.

Glad to know that about the sharp little pains. Was wondering what that was. Hope you are doing well today! Huggs!!!!!!!!!

6. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Well, I made it to the game!!! ;D I went to the 7:00 p.m. game. It was overcast all day, so it wasn't too hot. I took loads of water, paper towels, my chair, and my portable fan!!! I did fine. Gayle picked us up and took us. I felt a little woozey out there, but popped another pill and that took care of that!!! I feel pretty good. I'm tired, so I'm going to rest all night. It was good to get OUT of the HOUSE!!! That helped my "mood". And they won 11-0 !!! ::) So, we advance to the semi-finals! They play at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow, but I'll just have to play it by EAR! Okay.......... back to my couch!!! :)

I'm going to rest now though. Take my meds and sleep! I feel like I've been asleep since Tues., heck I have!!!

Tomorrow will be Day 5 !!! I hope I didn't mess things up by going to the game. I am having a little ear pain, but not too bad. So, going to dose up now.

P.S. I STILL CAN'T TALK!!!!!!!!! So, don't know what's up with that, but guess what, the "plugged ear" feeling has subsiding a little bit and so has the "tinnitus"!!!!! The Big T isn't as loud!!!!!!!! So, maybe it helped that I went outside for a couple of hours!!!!!!

Hope yall are having a good weekend! Huggs!!!!!!!!

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

darling - motor skill problems before or after surgery?

8. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Anne-Marie,

I hope you are still feeling good today. Pay attention to how you feel and don't push it. I couldn't talk either, it was like my jaw was locked in one place. I had a good deal of swelling due to infection though. Are you able to eat? I couldn't chew for days. (I sure have been making up for lost time now!) Keep us posted, Lisa

9. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I still feel good this morning, so I guess going to the game, didn't hurt me. ;) My jaw doesn't seem to be as bad as it was. Oh yes, I can eat!!!!!!!! I never lost my appetite. The only bad thing about eating is HEARING the chewing process going on! :-\ LOL!!!

My throat is sore today and I still can't talk too well. If it's like this tomorrow, I'm just going to call my local ENT and let him look at it. It hasn't been sore, but it is today.

I feel fine. I think it did me good to get out of the house. :) I haven't been out of the house since Tues. except to water the plants ONCE!

Today the quarter-finals are at 4:00 p.m. The semi-final is at 5:30, and the final is at 7:00 p.m. If they go all the way, that will be rough playing 3 games back on back!!! It's still overcast, so I'm probably going to try and go. The good thing is, today's games are right by the house. We're less than a mile from our park. So, if I get to feeling bad, Gayle could bring me home.

Thanks for all the PRAYERS!!! Keep Praying for me!!! God is really taking good care of me and I know it's b/c I've had so many good people PRAYING for me!!! ;D

10. Amethyst

Hi Aladdin - the motor skills issues were primarily after the surgery. Lots of jerky, uncoordinated movements (for a while I had worried they somehow nicked my brain :-\). It resolved itself after about a month. I do have a few issues outside the surgery - whenever I'm doing really badly I have trouble with my legs not wanting to move properly (jerky movements and very weak).

Amethyst

11. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Well, I made it back to the ballpark this afternoon!!! It was HOT, but overcast a little, so it wasn't too bad. We came in 3rd in the tournament!!!!!!! :mad: We should have come in 2nd, but our girls just made too many errors!!!!!!!!! I just hate when softball is over! I played when I was younger and I just love the game!!!

I am doing well on Day 5 !! :D Still no pain, no drainage, no blood. If I could just get my voice back, I'd be set! I think I'll rest tomorrow, and maybe drive on Tues.

Hope yall are having a good weekend!!! Thanks for the Prayers!!! ;)

12. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

13. Amethyst

Aladdin - the surgery I had performed was ESD and it was to deal with the dizziness of mm as well as the pressure.

No one has been able to help me with the Tullio's so far. Actually I had a bad attack off Tullio's on Friday after not having it for a couple of months (I strictly avoid loud noises) - I was at a hospital to visit an audiology clinic and had to get a new hospital card. When the printer started up to make the card (one of those old loud printers) it triggered the Tullio's. I immediately couldn't speak and started falling to the ground. Luckily my partner was there to help get me out of there. It took over 2 hours to subside. Tullio's is such a rotten symptom I wish I could find help for it.

14. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

What is Tullio's??? It sounds just awful! I'll be saying Prayers for you!!!

15. Amethyst

Yeah Tullio's (aka vestibular hyperacusis) is definitely no picnic. I have it with the mm and Aladdin has it with SCD (superior canal dehiscence). Here's a bit on it .......

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/specific-disorders/vestibular-hyperacusis.php

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/symptoms/tullio.html

16. dizzykat

dizzykat New Member

Amethyst,
    This has happened to me in the past. I find it only in certain environments though. I can't explain it, but sometimes in open malls or restaurants in which there are a lot of people talking and the building has poor acustics. Its like I get a pressurized feeling in my head then I start getting the spinning feeling. The thing is that I don't get it all the time. I don't know if it is Tullio's or just another symptom of the Meniere's.

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

when i was at the ent the printer there was a dot matrix and sent me to the ground - most sounds that normal people don't seem to be bothered with can send tullios patients into vertigo - and/or pressure induced vertigo

18. Amethyst

Hi Dizzykat - I'm not sure, you might be describing Tullio's, or at least a mild form of it. Mine is a constant - hit a certain frequency/noise level and I'm out every time. Next time you're at your doctors you may want to bring up this experience and see what he/she has to say about it. There doesn't seem to be any kind of medication to deal with it though and surgery has never been mentioned in my case (Aladdin may be having surgery for the Tullio's though because it has a different root cause in her case), so all I can do to avoid attacks is strict avoidance of the offending sounds. I hear them and I bolt...it's the fight or flight response like I've never seen it before!

Yes Aladdin, I think the printer the other day was one of those old dot matrix things - amazing what types of noises gets to us. It didn't seem all that loud but it was of a particular frequency. It's so hard to anticipate and avoid all the triggers.

Amethyst

19. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Well, I am on Day 7 now!!! One week!!!!!!!! :D I feel great!!! I feel almost normal again! Still have the "packed" feeling and the T is still there, but it is getting better each day. I don't care if the T doesn't go away. I just PRAY that I get relief from the vertigo! Just wanted to check in! I hope yall are all having a GREAT Tuesday!!!

20. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i wanted to leap over their desks and rip out the machine but uh couldn't hold my head up and i hate those fricking tuning forks the surgeons use - well mine doesn't anymore - xoxoxox