Why do some people receive allergy shots to treat MM?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by KennedyLane, Apr 27, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

I was wondering what the primary treatment target is when one is receiving allergy shots for MM? I know that seasonal allergies cause eustachian tube issues in some people and that some people with MM have eustachian tube dysfunction.

Do the shots indirectly help Meniere's by relieving ETD or is there some other target other than the eustachian tube? For example, is the theory that the allergy shots alter the body's immune response, directly impacting the endolymphatic sac?

2. dwaynehoover

dwaynehoover keep exercising!!! if you can

My opinion , it is purely guesswork, I , 100% believe that eustachian tube problems can directly/indirectly cause Meniere's . I know doctors disagree , of course they are so smart with there beautiful diuretics and wonderful surgeries, whether you need it or not. I know better and many of you know better. Yes, allergy shots may help with sinus inflam., eustachian tube and probably middle and inner ear inflammation. Staying away from allergens may fix your Meniere's also, inhaled and eaten. I am not on the viral bandwagon but I can't really knock it and at least those folks are trying an alternative, but try other things as well!! yeah, do the allergy shots! I am. Thats my opinion anyway. Thats my rant.

3. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Allergic and immunologic features of Ménière's disease
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21621052
    Ménière's disease (MD), which by definition is idiopathic, has been ascribed to various causes, including both inhalant and food allergies. Patients with MD report higher rates of allergy history and positive skin or in vitro tests compared with a control group of patients with other otologic diseases and to the general public. Recent immunologic studies have shown higher rates of circulating immune complexes, CD4, and other immunologic components in patients with MD compared with healthy controls. Published treatment results have shown benefit from immunotherapy and/or dietary restriction for symptoms of MD in those patients who present with both allergy and MD.

Is allergy related to Meniere's disease?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22457225
    Meniere's disease (MD) is characterized by episodic rotational vertigo, fluctuating sensorineural hearing loss, aural pressure, and tinnitus. The cause of MD is thought to be multifactorial, with anatomic and genetic contributions. Allergy is thought to be one of the possible extrinsic factors that, when combined with underlying intrinsic factors, may lead to MD. We review the epidemiologic associations of MD and allergy and review the recent literature on the association of allergy and MD.

4. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Allergic management of Meniere's disease: an outcome study.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10652386

The effect of allergy immunotherapy and elimination of suspected food allergens was evaluated in patients with Meniere's disease. A total of 137 patients with Meniere's disease for whom allergy treatment had been recommended were identified and were mailed and returned a symptoms questionnaire. One hundred thirteen had received allergy treatment; 24 did not have treatment and served as a control group. Information regarding history, signs and symptoms, allergy test results, and audiologic data were obtained by chart review. The 113 patients treated with desensitization and diet showed a significant improvement from pretreatment to posttreatment in both allergy and Meniere's symptoms. Ratings of frequency, severity, and interference with everyday activities of their Meniere's symptoms also appeared better after allergy treatment than ratings from the control group of untreated patients. Vertigo control results, by use of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery classification, categorized 47.9% as class A or B. Hearing was stable or improved in 61.4%. Patients with Meniere's disease can show improvement in their symptoms of tinnitus and vertigo when receiving specific allergy therapy. The inner ear may be the target, directly or indirectly, of an allergic reaction.

5. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

Kennedy and Dwayne, i think us 3 def have similar ETD issues affecting Meniere's.

Have you guys tried Sudafed? The original stuff behind the cashier and not the stuff on the counter? I've tried Sudafed on two occasions, each time for 3-4 days (I don't think you're supposed to take them long term or you might get more severe side effects). Both times my symptoms seemed to be relieved for a couple days. Since you cannot take sudafed for too long, it's hard to say if the relief was coincidental/fluctuations or not.

this is not a long term solution, but may prove that our Meniere's has to do with congestion and allergies, etc.