How many different kinds of drugs do you take?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by hollymm, Dec 9, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. June-

June- New Member

Make it easy for him. Do all the leg work for him. Hand him the list etc etc etc.

2. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Hi Holly,
    My experience is that pharmacists are usually very willing to check on drug interactions. They are really a wealth of information. A pharmacist at Walgreens, for example, would probably plug everything into their system and give you good information - but your regular pharmacy should do this as well.

3. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

June,
    I do have the ability to go on line with a number of issues (e mail the 'team'), and have done that. I just need to be more proactive about my own health records and his involvment. I'll start on it tomorrow and see where it takes me... ;)

Jordan,
    I think I will do that. You know, get more than one entity providing me with information so I can compare it my self. Walgreens huh?

I hope others who are in my position are taking notes. This is some good stuff being put out here. Common sense - as if I have any when it comes to my own health...

4. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

As for people who are out there on their own, taking their own regime, how does it work for you to check yourself on the side effects of what you're putting into your own body? I mean, how do you get around that?

5. earshurt

earshurt New Member

That would probably be a good source to check with. If possible check with both a younger one that hasn't been out of school long and an older one too. Might get two different views.

6. Funshine

Funshine New Member

Hummm, you really should not get 2 different views...this would be the pure science of interactions and contraindications...and like everything else, including triaging injuries...there's an app for that.

7. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'm a little confused, why should it make a difference? I'm inclined to agree with Funshine if I read it right. That if it's all the same medications then the answer(s) should be all the same, right?

8. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Yes a pharmacists can use an application in the computer for interactions but they not be using the exact same application so the answers that come out of the application may not be the same.

Applications are only as good as us imperfect humans that design them. The code engines in applications may not be perfect. One little slip in the code writing can cause the application to make mistakes. They have update features that need to work properly, etc...Sometimes a pharmacists may know that an application has given him false information and sometimes he may not. Due to his experience on the job he may or may not agree with everything he sees in the application.

Also he may not even speak to you about it. He may print out a sheet and hand it to you and tell you to have a good day. Maybe he will spend time with you and explain some things though. That often depends on if it is a large corporate chain store or your local independent pharmacy.

Also much of what you get from a pharmacists may be opinion based on their observations on the job. Opinions are seldom identical.

You may get the same exact answers from a young one and an old one. But you may not.

We like to believe all the answers that come out of the medical stream of information are standardized and based on hard core scientific truths but this is often not the case.

Pharmacists may not say the same things their peers do just like doctors do not always say the same things.

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Actually I don't really care if it's a little off as long as it's generally telling me the same thing. That two or more of the durgs I'm taking will take me out given a measurable amount of time. For example Methotrexate and Risperidone in combination will have highly potential "Y" side effect if taken together over an "X" period of time. I understand that people explain the same thing differently. That's a given.

10. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Intrepid I didn't tell her not to listen to her pharmacist. I told her it was a good idea to ask a pharmacist. I simply told her it may be beneficial to ask more than one pharmacists because "they are" the experts, and experts do not always agree.

11. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Why not? Pharmacists can have different experiences and different perspectives, just like any other professionals.

I know one pharmacist who thinks all flu shots are great, and another who thinks they're a total disaster.

12. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

If fully researching your options would make your life a living hell and miserable, then of course you should not do that. Trust whomever you like with your health.

Those of us who do fully research our options don't necessarily make it a full-time occupation. But the results that we live with, we live with full-time.

13. June-

June- New Member

It's a personality thing. Information is comfort to me. There is no such thing as too much information in my world. My siblings just want the cliff notes.

14. June-

June- New Member

Still a personality matter. I could go on about common sense but I'm too tired. Maybe I need some drugs. I took an advil just now, a relatively rare event.

15. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Intrepid wrote:

I would not recommend you ask your fruit and produce person for medication advice only because he hasn't had that training.

Yes you are directly dissing me. I showed Holly how to make healthy things with fruit because she said she is on a limited budget and cannot afford high priced items. Not that I care about your personal vendetta because the fact that you choose to chase me around the forum from thread to thread with a child's playground battle concerns me not. What concerns me is the fact that in order to carry out a personal vendetta you trash good information in order to get at "me" personally and in the end you hurt Holly instead because you put doubt in her mind about perfectly good information. So at the end of the day you may hurt people doing that.

I told her it may be a good idea to ask more than one pharmacist. Pharmacist are a good source of information. Getting second opinions on important health matters is the hallmark of good decision making.

Intrepid wrote:

I choose not to make my life a living hell and miserable by consulting dozens of people on every little thing. I just don't operate that way and I don't have the time in my life to consult 10 pharmacists for one medication.

But for those who have made this their full time occupation - go for it.

I'm sorry your life would be hell and miserable to consult two pharmacists. I said two an old one and a young one. Again you are inaccurate and distracting from the facts, per usual. Maybe it terrifies you so badly to know that people in the medical field can mistakes and that it is more than you can bare and you choose to remain among the unknowing. That is your choice. That is good for you. Whatever.

But if other people want to ask more than one doctor or pharmacist for advice, just because you are too terrified to do the same does not give you reason to insult people and play games with good information and attempt to get them to do the same.

Your crippling fears of exploring further into your own illness to not precede other peoples best interest. Some people have to make med management and illness management a full time job because they take a lot of different meds and their illness is their life. I consider it rude, condescending, insulting, and terrible advice to refer to other people managing their illness full time as if it is a paranoid delusion of their own making.

If you have a problem with me, I would rather you say "earshurt is a stupid person" and stop twisting good information as your means to get at me. That way I can laugh at the fact that your mother does not know you have the keyboard again. But doing it the way you do it hurts other people.

16. June-

June- New Member

Went to the gym ...

17. earshurt

earshurt New Member

"My illness is under control sans ashwawhatever or coffee enemas."

I didn't bring that up. Someone else asked me if I had ever heard of it and I told them that I had heard of it before. I"ve never done that but many people report that it helps them. I find your attitude toward methods of treatment that YOU DON'T LIKE rude, insulting, confrontational, and childish.

18. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I had not planned on going here with you and I don't intend to again. I spent a lot of time trying to find information for Holly last night.

I try to dispense factual information because I trust that people are intelligent enough to know what to do with the information I provide. The fact that you think people are too stupid to take information and use it or not use it wisely is not a belief I share. Therefore I provide as much factual information as possible, and I trust they are intelligent enough to make their own decisions.

Sometimes I work all night helping other people like Holly on limited budgets and to have my efforts trashed hurts those people.

19. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Herbs provide a way for people with no insurance, no money, no nothing, to gain relief. They are inexpensive and effective.

My feelings are not tied to this. I run my hours like a business, even though I don't get paid. That is why I deal in specifics about topics that "matter".

What does it matter what I think? I didn't realize I had this much power to hurt your feelings by not agreeing entirely with your herbalist methodology.

You overestimate.

20. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Earhurts I don't want to get into any kind of fight with you, I really don't - but I think you should be consistent with your messages. You advise Holly to get the advice of two pharmacists, in case one is wrong, but then you get all in a flap when someone (in this case Intrepid) questions the information you're posting on here - the information you say is "good". Well, how do we know it's good? We only have your word for that - the word of a guy on the internet who by his own admission is not a herbalist and researches this stuff himself. Should Holly ONLY listen to you? Why do you feel the need to silence dissenting views?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.