Mastoidectomy - Endolymphatic Sac Decompression

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Verti_Geaux, May 28, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

"Bump" for Barc. :)

2. barcl003

barcl003 Guest

Anne-Marie ~ Thanks for letting me know of this thread. There are a lot of questions answered here that I was wondering also. (including the shaving of the hair!!) I am scheduled for this surgery on July 23rd and I am super nervous especially about the pain after the surgery. I also work and being dizzy is just not an option at work. I feel like I need to do something quick to help my quality of life. I've tried everything from drinking a ton of water, chiropracters, low salt diet, etc. Heidi

3. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Hi Heidi,
    I'm glad I could help! This site has been a God send for me also. I still have questions, like are they going to drill my head open, but I guess I'll ask that when I see the doctor b/f surgery. I've tried a lot of different things for 3 years, and I just have to try this! I'm not really nervous. I just know how I was Mar. & Apr., it can't be any worse than that!!!!!!!!!! I will keep you posted next week! PRAY that I'll do well! It's on Tuesday!!!!!!!!! EIKKKKKKKKKKKKKKk

Anne-Marie

4. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Hi Anne - Marie - they don't drill your head open. After they make the incision behind the ear they shave a little of the mastoid bone off to allow the endolymphatic sac more room. It's all done while you're 'under', but you will be able to feel a little difference when you touch it after it heals.

Bob W

5. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

I hope I don't bother anyone (creep any one out) who's about to have surgery but I'd love to figure out the following:

After surgery my hearing flipped from a low-tone loss to a severe high-tone loss. I've now been told that the high-tone hearing loss is most likely permanent, damage done by the drill during surgery. This came from a doctor who also performs this surgery on occassion. I should have asked her exactly how it happened but I was too busy being creeped out with the idea. I'm going to ask my neurotologist when I see him in a few weeks but if anyone happens to know how that could happen I'd love to hear about it. I was warned there was a tiny chance of hearing loss prior to going through with the surgery but never expected to lose only certain frequencies. Thanks.

Amethyst

6. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

my surgeon will drill my head in order to reach the superior canal; but mine is being done for a different purpose than most - to fill the superior canal dehiscence/temporal lobe dehiscences

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

who are you doctors/surgeons? there are several surgeons who are highly reputable and perform this procedure quiet effectively

8. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

my surgeon - ranked very high in these types of surgery said that low tone loss up to 20 - 30 dc is predictable and anticipated - i tend to conclude the high frequency could have been the drill or nerve - there is also risks of facial/nerve damage - did they attempt to fill the superior canal - but no you don't have scds do you? just tullios? - not just tullios sucks - but there is another procedure being kicked around about building a third window to help with noise/pressure induced vertigo - let you know when i find out more - xoxox

9. Amethyst

Yes please do. Thanks Aladdin.
    ..and you remembered correctly - I have Tullio's but I do not have SCDS. There's a small chance the Tullio's is the result of a tiny tear (fistula) in the oval or round window but my doc thinks that it's only the smallest of possibilities. Although no one has been able to explain it to me, it seems most likely that the Tullio's is simply a bi-product of the mm. No idea how though - anyone out there by chance know how?

Amethyst

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

The same result could occur by simply adjusting the atlas bone, and without surgery. The mastoid has not moved from its original position. Therefore the mastoid cannot be the cause of the problem. The atlas however could very easily have moved from its designed position, is located an inch or so away from the area in question, and could very well be the source of the problem. Anne-Marie, look at the anatomy of the area and see if I am not right in what I say here.

Hank

11. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i ask surgeon 4 u

xo

12. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

LOL!!!!!!!!! I guess that did sound funny! That part does just sort of freak me out! But, I'm doing okay. Staying busy!!!!!!! 3 Days!!!!!!!!!
    AMM

13. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I don't even know what an Atlas is! LOL!!!!!!! How do I know if it has moved? The finger test that you posted a while back ???

14. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

GO to www.nucca.org. That will explain the atlas. PM me your email address. I will send you more information.

Hank

15. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Anne-Marie,

Only two more days! It came fast, didn't it? Well, maybe just for me as this last week has been a blur. Are you all ready for surgery? I have a good feeling for you. This will be the answer and yours will be uneventful.

I sent your name with my husband this morning and he put you on the prayer list at our church. I actually sent a few names of my new meniere's peeps! I probably should just put the whole board on there! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as your surgery draws near.

I am feeling like a million bucks today. Well, compared to yesterday at least! I am about to go take a nap. My husband and I have decided to f/u regarding that nurse at the ER. I guess I need to file a formal complaint to even figure out who she was. She wasn't my nurse, and I was so upset I didn't even get her name. I just know what she looked like and what she said to me. I hope she found out that I needed to go in for more surgery and felt bad. Probably not though. Witch!

Did you see I'm not a newbie anymore? Just because of that I added a picture and everything. I tried to find one of two parents and three little girls, but my eyes were about to shut on me and I had to stick with a van. Pretty appropriate as we are on the go a lot.

Talk to you later, Lisa

16. Amethyst

What a sweetheart you are Lisa! :-*

I'm so happy to hear that you've turned the corner on your recovery...sure sounds like it to me. You handled that infection with such strength, I'm really impressed. That's a great attitude you have.

...and I love the avatar :D

Amethyst

17. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I know!!! Only 2 days, it doesn't seem possible! Still not nervous, but have been way too busy!!! I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Tomorrow I have to get groceries, finish laundry, and make sure my house is in order! Just nit-picky things so I have everything I need once I get home.

What exactly did that nurse say to you?

Yeah, and now I'm a Sr. Member! Sounds old though, like a Sr. Citizen! LOL!!!!!!

Glad you are better! I hope you improve more and more each day!!!

Huggs!!!!!!!!!

Anne-Marie

18. Amethyst

Geez, there's no way I could have done all that before my surgery....getting dressed was hard enough. :-\

19. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I've had a GOOD month! Thank God! Oh, that's not the half of it! Friday we cleaned out the house and storage building for a Yard Sale, did that Sat. morning, softball games Sat. afternoon, out to eat Sat. night, 2 games today, came home did 4 loads of laundry, cleaned the house some, washed a load of dishes, cleaned the kitchen, etc., etc., etc. All week there's been kid drop-offs at camps, soccer try-outs, 2 doctor's appointments, friend had a baby so visiting her, the list goes on and on. This week has just been non-stop, the whole month has been. I've been going and going and going. I think if I stop, I'll crash, but I just have so much nervous energy!!!

Tomorrow I'll finish the house, get groceries, and treat myself to a pedicure, manicure, and massage! I'm just staying busy so I don't think about the surgery!!! : )

20. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Anne-Marie,

Enjoy your day today. Be productive, but pamper yourself too! I think it is great that you are going into your surgery not having had many attacks lately. In my opinion you are still making the right choice. Look how long it takes to set this stuff up! My attacks have come and gone for several years. Even with infection, I am still happy I had the surgery.

I am on hold waiting to set up my f/u appt. My drainage has increased and there is some bleeding again today. No fever, but an elevated temp. last night. We are keeping a close eye on everything this time. Take care everyone, Lisa