Mastoidectomy - Endolymphatic Sac Decompression

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Verti_Geaux, May 28, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

I've got to say, I'm really surprised you're going through with this surgery Anne-Marie. Most people consider surgery only as a last result and from what you've written you are far from that stage. Are you ok if the surgery sets you back some?

2. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Hi Amethyst,

June has been good to me and I can't say that thoughts of postponing the surgery haven't went through my mind. BUT, I was SO BAD in Mar., Apr., & most of May!!! I was bedridden! Spinning & puking every 3-5 days. Losing weight like crazy, not able to go anywhere, not able to hardly walk, it was horrible!!! I'm a teacher and I missed so much work, plus I was spinning and puking at school!!!

I think the only reason I'm doing so much better in June is b/c the doctor has had me on STERIODS since May 3rd. (No telling what that is doing to my body.) I also know that no matter how GOOD I feel today, it could change in the blinking of an eye! That's how my MM does. I can feel wonderful one minute and puking the next.

So, I'm aware that the surgery may set me back, but I have to prepare for the future. My attacks are worse in Mar. and Oct. b/c of allergies, so I need to fix myself before that. And I need to fix myself before school starts back.

I'm afraid if I postpone the surgery, I'll be spinning and puking for weeks on end again, and I'll regret it.

I just don't want to be like I was in Mar. & Apr. again! I wanted to die that's how bad it was. Plus I've been fighting this for 3 years. I have good months, then I'll have horrible months. No rhyme or reason! So, it was a "lost resort" thing when I scheduled it in Apr. I'm better now, but fear it is lurking around the corner. If I stopped taking the steriods, don't know what would happen.

Hi Lisa -

Keep an EYE on that EAR!!!!!!!!!! We don't want you to get in trouble with it again!!!

Yeah, I'm ready. No mater how good I feel today, I know how BAD it was in Mar., Apr., & May. It took a long time to set up the surgery and take all the tests, so I just want to get it over at this point.

I think I'm only going to get groceries today and relax. I'm tired!!!

Watch that ear!!!!!!!!! I don't like that drainage!!! Huggs!!!!!!!!

Anne-Marie

3. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Best of luck with surgery Anne-Marie. You will be in my thoughts. Lisa B. :)

4. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Sounds like you have everything well thought out. Thanks for letting me know a little more of your history - now I can see why you made the decision you did. All the very best to you - you'll be in my thoughts too.

Amethyst

5. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

who may i ask is your surgeon?

6. barcl003

barcl003 Guest

Anne-Marie ~ Hi! Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!!! You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow. I'm sure with all of the good vibes going your way, everything will go great with your surgery! Try to keep us posted on your progress, when you can!! Good Luck!!! Heidi

7. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Good luck with your surgery. I hope it is a success and you heal quickly!

8. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Anne-Marie,

I will keep lifting you up in prayer, but know you will do fine in surgery tomorrow. I will also be praying for a speedy and uneventful recovery. This is a walk in the park for you though, you're a cancer surviver! Tomorrow will be a breeze. Still, know that I am with you in spirit. Take care of you, Lisa

P.S. When you get a chance to post we'll be here waiting!

9. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Dr. Arriaga. He is based in PA and flies into Baton Rouge one week per month. He will be doing my surgery.

10. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Well, it is about 8 hours until surgery time......... I wanted to stay busy today, but NOT like it turned out!!! Started off fine........ dropped off my child at the Health Club for lifeguard camp, got my nails done, went to the grocery store, got home, was ready for a couple of hours of computer time and rest, and I got a phone call. Daughter had fallen on her arm that she had broken in Jan., and 3 others fell ON it, not sure WHAT they were doing. Playing some kind of game. It was swelling, so to be safe, took her to ER for an x-ray. It was okay, just bruised and sprained. They wrapped it, but there went my afternoon!!! : ( She had a softball game tonight, but could only play 1/2 of it b/c her arm was hurting. So, was at the game until 10:00 p.m. I am home now trying to get everything ready to leave at 4:00 a.m.

Just wanted to say THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! to all of you for the Prayers and well wishes!!! I will post again as soon as I can.

My surgery is at 7:00 a.m. I was getting a little scared, but then the trip to the ER and softball game got my mind off of it. I'm okay now. It might be a different story in the morning at 4:00 a.m. when we are leaving.

Anywho............ I am putting it in God's hands!!! Keep me in your Prayers!!! Also, please PRAY that God will guide my surgeon's hands!

Thanks again!!!

Anne-Marie

11. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

We will keep praying. I am thankful your daughter's arm wasn't re-broken. Talk to you soon, Lisa

12. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Thanks!!! Me too! That was a nightmare when she had the cast. Okay, heading to bed!

13. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

14. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am managing to write you a quick note. The surgery went fine. It started at 7:00 a.m. and I was home by 1:00 p.m. Remember we had to drive 60 miles one way. I'm surprised at how well I feel, but I know it could be leftover morphine or the pain killers that he has me on. I'm not in a lot of pain though, just minimal. Been napping off and on. I'm eating well! And I'm not in a lot of pain, a little, but not a lot. I've had some "popping", but not a lot. I guess I'm surprised! I have a FANCY head dressing. Mine is UPTOWN! Mine is not gauze, it's a huge plastic cup thingy, larger than a softball that covers my ear and straps around my head. I'll get my daughter to take a pic.

I'm certainly not taking the "feeling good" for granted b/c I know it could change. But, I'm thanking God for today! It was not bad AT ALL!!! The worse part was putting the needle in my arm.

Keep PRAYING for me. The Prayers are working! I'll write more later, but need to lay back down! Just wanted to check in! Thank yall SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! Yall are GREAT!!!!!

Huggs!!!

Anne-Marie
    P.S. I posted this in a new post also, for any Newbies that didn't know about this one!

15. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I did want to add that Dr. Arriaga do NOT put the shunt in my ear. He said that he got about the same results with or without the shunt, so he has decided not to use them anymore. So, I thought that was interesting. I had read where they got clogged up easily and sometimes scar tissue grows around them. They're only a couple of millimeters long anyway. So, thought I'd share this.

16. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Anne-Marie,

I didn't get a shunt either. I have to go back to see my surgeon at 3:00. I am feeling much better, but still a bit wiped out. I feel like I should be back to normal by now, but maybe it was the infection. Or maybe i am a wuss! lol

I hope you are still doing well. Talk to you soon, Lisa

17. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I'm a little wiped out today! Really tired. Guess my drugs are wearing off. Ha! Ha!

I hate this!!! Today is my daughter's 13th Birthday!!! I hope it doesn't suck for her! I bought gifts in advance and her dad's bringing a cake. My friend is going to take cupcakes to her softball practice tonight, and then we'll order pizza afterwards when they get home. I wish I could go out to dinner with her, but I'm just too tired!!! Maybe this weekend...........

18. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

I think I'm feeling some better today. It is Day 3. I still feel a little woozy, but I slept SO MUCH yesterday, it was unreal! We got through the birthday okay. I think she had a good one. I did the best I could...........under the circumstances. :-\

I have a little pain, but nothing severe. I've been having a little jaw pain. Did any of you have that???

Anywho........ just wanted to say HI and thanks so much for your Prayers and kind words!!! Yall are the best!!!

Anne-Marie

19. dzymom

dzymom Road Trip

Anne-Marie,

My jaw was a nightmare! Lisa

20. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

It's weird, huh??? I've been having a lot of jaw pain today!!! Not severe, just there! Wonder what that's all about???