Oral Mycostatin as a possible alternative treatment for intractable Ménière's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Vicki615, Apr 28, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24642338

Background: The potential efficacy of antifungal agents (e.g. Mycostatin) in treating acute attacks of Ménière's disease was first suggested in 1983 but few data have been published. Oral Mycostatin has been used as second-line medical treatment for intractable Ménière's disease at our institution for many years. Objective: This preliminary cohort study investigated the role of oral Mycostatin in intractable Ménière's disease. Methods: A retrospective review of patients with intractable Ménière's disease who started oral Mycostatin treatment between 2010 and 2012 was conducted. Results: Of 256 patients presenting with vertiginous disorders, 26 had definite Ménière's disease and had not responded to standard first-line treatment. Following oral Mycostatin treatment, improvements were reported for vertigo (n = 8), aural fullness (n = 7), tinnitus (n = 3) and subjective hearing loss (n = 3). Half of those with symptom improvement persisted with oral Mycostatin for two years and continued to remain asymptomatic. Conclusion: The use of oral Mycostatin to alleviate symptoms of intractable Ménière's disease showed promising results in this case series. Mycostatin may offer a safe and useful alternative for the management of Ménière's disease for patients with chronic unremitting symptoms in whom first-line treatment options have failed.

2. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

what's is "intractable" meniere's?

3. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

means not easily relieved or cured.

4. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

My first line treatment when I got to my NeuoT was Nystatin.

It offered me no improvement :(

5. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

I don't understand the numbers-does it mean 8 people out of the 256 got relief from vertigo?

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I would assume if an fungal infections is not the cause of a person's MM then an antifugal would not give any improvement. I believe poppajoe's symptoms were caused by a fungal infection.

7. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I think this study is saying:

If other treatments fail, oral Mycostatin maybe an alternative treatment.
    Out of the 256 followed 26 people had definite MM, half of those persisted with oral Mycostatin for two years and continued to remain asymptomatic.

8. ring

ring New Member

Why do you need to stay on two years? Can't the the fungus be knocked out?

9. nicmger

nicmger New Member

From what I have read is fungal infections can take quite a long time to get rid of. Don't know for certain but that is what I have read.

10. HappyGrace

HappyGrace New Member

I've been researching this today-PapaJoe on here had good success with it, and here is a link to a letter he wrote for people to take to their doctors to request nystatin for anti-fungal treatment of their Meniere's-it includes several studies (although not such a direct link to Meniere's as the great one that Vicki linked!)

http://www.papadisc.com/MM_Nystatin.pdf

Vicki-have you ever asked Dr. Gacek about the anti-fungal connection? I might ask him if he calls me back today.

11. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Hi HG,
    Nope I never asked him but would have if the acyclovir wasn't working but so far so good.

12. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Double whammy. Leaky gut due to a yeast overgrowth in the gut, plus a couple undetectable tooth infections (internal resorptions).

13. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

how long does it take to see if the medicine works?