How did you quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by rondrums, Apr 24, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Hi, all. It's finally time to give up the cigs. I knew this was coming. Addicts are great procrastinators, but the time has come.
    I'm starting the Stephen Spring protocol, and he told me I must quit if I want to get my immune system back in order.

I'm going to use e cigarettes to get me through the jones period. They're smokeless, just water vapor, but you still get your nicotine fix. They're terribly boring compared to the real thing, so I figure I'll just taper off of them and finally be free of the addiction.

I'll take any quit-smoking tips from anybody who has them!

Shame on me. I've been an inveterate smoker all my life. Now it's time to pay with the agony of withdrawal! :'(

Bless all,
    Ron

2. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

How about a little Skoal between the cheek and gum, rumor has it that the lady's love a man who dips.

3. Donamo

Donamo Guest

I was a very heavy smoker but quit about 22 years ago. I quit cold turkey. It was rough but I always found the tapering off way dragged things on for too long and eventually you hit a day where your will power is a little weaker and bam, you smoke again. By quitting cold turkey you go through a few hellish days and then when the urge to smoke comes you can tell yourself if you smoke just one puff, you will have to go through those hellish days again. It helps keep you from taking that puff.

Its not easy. The week or so after I quit smoking, I quit drinking too because every other time I had quit, and there were several, I had started again after a few drinks. It is a MAJOR life style change. I lost several friends because I was a drag after that, no fun to drink with. However, the rewards were many, mostly I was a better father and husband, could drive them whenever necessary etc. No drunken quarrels in our family.

Shortly after I quit, my daughter had a medical problem late in the evening. Previously I would have had a drink or two by then and driving would have been questionable but now, No Problemo! We took her to emerg. It kind of sealed the deal for me.

4. Nathan

Nathan New Member

I so hear you. Ex-smoker of 6 years myself. It's tough.

Champix, a prescription anicotinic receptor partial agonist, worked wonders for me. I think it may be sold under the name Chantix in the US.

Respect to you, Rondrums.

5. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

LOL. Don't get me started on that shit.........

6. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Yeah, Don, smoking and drinking go hand in hand. Good for you, man. I can live without alcohol, but it's going to suck!

7. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

I have friends who have tried Chantix, and they said the stuff made them mentally insane. Since anti-depressants had that effect on me, I'm kind of scared of it. I'm glad it worked for you, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to go the old-fashioned cold turkey route.

Ron

8. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I haven't stopped smoking and been smoking for over 40 years, I tried the e cigs but they made me queasy. I just bought this book yesterday, I have no idea if it is effective or not.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: The Easyway To Stop Smoking
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615482155/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

over 400 reviewers gave it 5 stars, but I have no idea if the book will get me to stop or not.

9. Donamo

Donamo Guest

When I quit cold turkey, I had an office in the basement with a TV and a treadmill and my computers. I just stayed there except to sleep for 3 or 4 days I think. My wife brought me food, lots of it, I just stayed there and tried to work and ate LOL.

10. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Thanks, Vicki. I'm going to cop.

11. MJPMIN

MJPMIN New Member

I quit by having a really strong will to want to quit and I used Nicorette. I got so depressed that I wish I had gone on Chantix too. I ended up going on an antidepressant. I blame the depression on a chemical imbalance that was caused when I stopped putting all the poison chemicals into my body. I've been smoke free for 14 years and it's one of the best things I've ever done. Good luck!!! It's hard but very doable if your mind is ready for it.

12. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

It's not easy but it is worth it!

I quit a couple of times but always started up again thinking I could have that one puff. Stay away from that one puff!

I quit for the last time in 2000 by using the nicotine patch. I was too afraid to smoke while using it so it worked. :D I never had any success with tapering down so just went cold turkey with the help of the nicotine patch.

It took me about 7 or 8 years to get to the stage where I never had an urge to smoke again. Social situations and holidays the urge would often show up.

You can do this!!

13. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Vicki, you bad girl. You can smoke and deal with Meniere's? I'm envious! I'll read the book and try to survive on e cigs until I get so bored I'll just give it all up.

14. Donamo

Donamo Guest

I found that the first time I went somewhere where I used to smoke, even years later, I would get the craving. I distinctly remember taking a night course at the university I attended 20 years previously, a few years after I had quit. I had this achy weird feeling in my chest and it took me a few classes before I realized that was a weak remnant of the nicotine craving! I had never been there as a non-smoker and the surroundings triggered the craving which I didn't even recognize for a while.

15. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Yes ... exactly that kind of thing. It's so weird and unexpected so many years later!

16. Gracie

Gracie New Member

My step-father passed away one year ago. He was a very heavy smoker. Ron, all the best to you on putting cigs down.

17. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

former smoker here too. smoked for 10 years 19-29 years old. Then "quit" but still enjoyed a cig when I drank on the weekends, went on for 5 more years until Meniere's 5 months ago. Haven't touched a cigarette since.

how do you guys have meniere's and still smoke?? everyday i kick myself for having smoked at all....i don't know how much smoking has to do with causing meniere's but it cannot be good.

as for tips on quitting, i think exercise and healthy snacks helped.

18. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

Best of luck to you Ron. MY MIL smoked roll your owns (no filters). She quit cold turkey, no drugs or patches. She just stopped. It's great that you have more resources to help stop smoking these days. Find the one that works for you znd keep at it. You can do it, and good on ya for trying to quit.

19. jaypr

jaypr New Member

I have never smoked as I was too interested in training and being fit. My father died of cancer and he smoked heavily.My mother died of lung cancer last year and she never smoked but her mum,dad and her husband did. She didn't stand a chance being surrounded by smokers all of her life.

You could say that smokers were selfish but years ago probably never realised the dangers to other people. Can't say I agree that women would like men who chew or dip tobacco but I could be wrong.

20. yellow

yellow New Member

It sounds obvious but you have to want to quit for yourself on your terms ... and forever. It is hard work.

In addition I found that the book The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr was both informative and inspirational.

The insight into my drug addiction was sobering.

After 30 years of medium/heavy smoking I know that it was one of the best things I have done. I like to think that the fact that it was shortly followed by the onset of Meniere’s was purely co-incidental.