Update:Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough, elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Jan 11, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough (You're going to love this Henry)

Ten years of Meniere’s disease research by Dr. Michael T. Burcon results in elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300 patients.

“Cervical Specific Protocol and Results for 300 Meniere’s Patients”
    Grand Rapids, MI (PRWEB) November 1, 2010

[​IMG]

Before treatment (left) and six weeks after treatment (right)(1)

Michael T. Burcon, DC started researching Meniere’s disease (MD) ten years ago after having three MD patients quickly recover from their vertigo under upper cervical specific chiropractic care. His papers have been published in the Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research and the textbook, Upper Cervical Subluxation Complex, a Review of the Chiropractic and Medical Literature, by Kirk Ericksen in 2004.

The First International Symposium on Meniere’s Disease was held in Germany in 1980. Subsequent meetings were held every five years in Boston, Rome and Paris. Dr. Burcon gave his first presentation on Meniere’s to medical doctors in 2005 at the Symposium in Los Angeles. Prior to that Burcon had presented his Meniere’s research to chiropractors. He later gave two presentations to the Prosper Meniere Society in Austria and one to the Politzer Society Meeting at Cleveland Clinic.

Dr. Burcon will give his paper, “Cervical Specific Protocol and Results for 300 Meniere’s Patients,” to the Sixth International Symposium on Meniere’s Disease in Kyoto, Japan on November 16. His Session Topic will be, “Novel treatment of inner ear diseases.” He will also make himself available for patient consultations, technique demonstrations and interviews during his week in Japan. On Wednesday, Nov 17, he will give a demonstration at Dr. Wakaki’s chiropractic research clinic in Kyoto, at 11 am.

Burcon has established a link between both Meniere’s disease and Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) with whiplash injuries that misalign the base of the skull with the top of the neck creating a lesion affecting the Eustachian tube and/or the Trigeminal ganglion. About half of these traumas are caused by vehicular traumas and the other half from injuries involving head trauma. Burcon believes that the correlation was not made because it takes an average of fifteen years from the time the patient was injured until the onset of symptoms.

Patients typically get diagnosed with MD or TN in middle age. Their injuries most often happened during high school or college years from a car accident, sports injury or fall on their heads. Few patients list these old injuries on their doctor’s admission paper work. In fact, they have often forgotten about them, believing they were not hurt if they were not admitted to the hospital.

Burcon Chiropractic hosted the Meniere’s Research Center’s 10th Annual Meniere’s Disease and Trigeminal Neuralgia Seminar in Grand Rapids, MI last June. Seventy doctors, patients and caregivers from five States and Canada participated. James Tomasi, author of “What Time Tuesday?” was the featured speaker. Next years seminar will be held in Ventura, CA, hosted by Dr. Jedidiah T. Smith.

2. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Re: Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough? elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300 patient

It's what Hank has been saying all along. That makes sense to me. I had a bad whiplash from a MVA in 1994. My cervical spine is all messed up. Regular chiropractic didn't do it for me.

3. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Re: Meniere’s Disease Breakthrough? elimination of vertigo in 291 out of 300 patient

When I was 19 I had a car accident and suffered legitimate whiplash, wore a collar for some time.
    However in my case I know it was viral with perhaps a small connection here!

4. June-

June- New Member

What is the source of this article?

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

http://theuppercervicalblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/menieres-disease-breakthrough.html

6. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

While the majority of my symptoms were related to a combination of B12 deficiency and herpes zoster, cervical misalignment also played a role. Yes, this is what Henry has been saying all along!

Thank you for posting this!

7. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

I did have a pinched nerve in my neck a few years ago that was fixed with McKenzie exercises. I can't find any correlation between that and my MM symptoms, but it was on my left side, like my MM ear. I did try McKenzie exercises when the MM hit, but it didn't affect the symptoms any.

Things that make you go hmmm.

8. June-

June- New Member

the name of the website is:

THE UPPER CERVICAL BLOG
    UPPER CERVICAL CARE: SIMPLY THE GREATEST HEALTHCARE THE WORLD HAS NEVER CONSIDERED.

9. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

I wrote to Dr. Burcon when I was starting upper cervical treatment.He is in Michigan and the Nucca I wound up going to is there as well.So, the nucca guy was closer and cheaper.

Very nice response,he sent me a dvd for free which explains the technique.I think they adjust all the way down to c-2 and c-3,where Nucca just deals with c-1. There are several people on the dvd who have mm.
    Somewhere on the board is a guy's experience with going to him for treatment.

10. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

After looking at the before treatment Xray, its no bloody wonder we are all walking around and looking... like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Spark

Spark New Member

Interesting. I was in a motor vehicle accident 12 years ago, exactly two weeks before my symptoms began. I too had legitimate whiplash, and always knew that the two were connected. While I have been diagnosed with pretty textbook MAV, and have had doctors tell me that the whiplash could have set off the MAV, this may be worth looking into.

12. chrisk

chrisk New Member

Very interesting, however, I do not remember and real trama to my neck or back, but I did play Ice Hockey for many years.

I love the cartoon as I find my self doing that sidways head thing often.

13. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

LOL

14. Funshine

Funshine New Member

In my opinion...frankly, I do not take it seriously, but to each his own...

15. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Way cool info! I got whacked in the head a few times, mostly from getting tossed off of
    rank horses as a teen, but never put the two together since I've had ear issues since
    I was a kid.

Mike

16. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

AMAZING I was just about to post my visits to Dr. Smith the past three months and this pops up. I saw Dr. Smith yesterday and after three months of treatment my Atlas was finally straight. He has this little scan that he runs down the top of my neck that shows exactly how straight I am. He is an amazing doctor and extremely helpful and caring. . He just phoned me an hour ago to give me the name of a good ENT in my area. He trains with Dr. Burcon and he talk to him all the time about my case. I had the X-rays done and was way out of alignment. He probably will have them repeated again if my Atlas remains straight.BY THE WAY DR. BURCON IS HOSTING THE SYMPOSIUM HERE IN VENTURA CALIFORNIA IN JUNE, NOT DR. SMITH. I was just told this yesterday by Dr Smith so it is a fact. As for me, I have severe bilateral MM. I have extensive damage already done as far as my hearing is concerned and my vertigo burned out 4 years ago after my last drop attack. That being said, I do have some improvement in my distortion, fluctuation and tinnitus. Dr. Smith has several patients, that I spoke with, that have been cured of their vertigo. If you have any questio please feel free to E-mail me at [email protected]. I was very excited to see this posted. Thank you Carribean Carole

17. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Ok, you cared enough to tell us that much, but could you tell the rest of
    us why you don't take it seriously, as it's quite possible you have very valid
    reasons?

IFD

18. Funshine

Funshine New Member

This is not a debate forum. I do not take it seriiously. Period. Life is too short.

19. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Good morning Wino, I wonder if you might elaborate a little further on you're comment. Do you feel that upper cervical chiropractic care is a joke? I'll be the first one to admit I know diddly about chiropractic and MM, but I have an open mind to this topic or I wouldn't have posted these findings.

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

IFD,

We all agree that everyone has a right to his or her opinion. But what astounds me, and I never would have predicted this before I began posting about the upper cervical connections with Meniere's symptoms four years ago, is that there would be such a large number of people who would dismiss this treatment, while having no personal experience with it, even given the success strories relayed by others whom they know and trust on almost any other issue.

But in this one area of discussion, folks who publically decry and dismiss the obvious upper cervical connections with Meniere's symptoms do it for reasons I cannot fathom. I mean, why? What is in it for them? I do not know. There is even one guy here, who after many years of unilateral symptoms and 'burn out' on the one side, suffered a recurrence of Meniere's symptoms on his good side, and who undertook upper cervical treatments, and who after 2 weeks, according to him 6 months later, became symptom free, but who at the time in question also undertook beginning an exercise regimen, and who now attributes his entire success to that regimen, one which he also says he has backslid on in recent times, even though the symptoms continue to hold off. Now that might be the case. And that would mean that medical science has just not figured out that one major factor in the onset of Meniere's symptoms is the lack of exercise, which if undertaken would surely demonstrate reproducible findings for their journals. But even if that is the case, there is still the most minute possiblity in this particular case, that it wasn't the exercise, but was instead the upper cervical treatments, which were the cause of the retreat of his symptoms in the first place. That possibility cannot be ruled out mathematically. But for purposes I will never understand, that person, who claims now to be symptom free, rather than expressing thanks for that and for whatever treatment or factor that allowed it, will come on to a thread like this, meant to purely inform those who have not heard of this treatment, and denigrate it. Again, I do not understand that kind of behavior. But I have come to understand that this is just what we can and should expect.

And there is no debate about this. These are just the facts. I suggest we accept the facts and just go on. That's what I do.

Thanks, Larry, for raising the awareness of this very valid treatment for folks who have Meniere's symptoms.

Hank