A simple theory on why God allows some things to happen...

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Chris0515, Nov 6, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I know in Cara's thread we were not allowed to answer for God and that's not what I wanna do here persay, but instead just offer up a simple theory on WHY diseases, poverty, hunger, and tragedies are all allowed to exist.

I believe that we are all here at our own free will and this is obviously a place where both good and evil are allowed to co-exist openly and freely, and where illness, disease, and tragedies exist and where children can die of hunger or abuse. And that's because God does not promise that EARTH will be a heavenly place and that your time spent here will be a bed of roses and sunshine, but instead it's a place full of good and evil with blessings and curses happening every single moment of every single day. He does however promise to help you get through and deal with the rough times if you allow him to(and not freak out), and that if you stay faithful to him and help others there will be huge rewards in the end that will be given out in another time & place and will be.........eternal. So for anyone to ask "why God" when it comes to so many horrible things happening here; it's because this is a place where anything can happen and we're basically on our own to sort out the good with the bad, and that this is NOT our final destination and a perfect existence is waiting for us if we choose to believe so and do what it takes to get there.

2. Jordan

Jordan New Member

From the Qur'an (2: 155-157):

And We will surely test you with something
    of fear and hunger and a loss of
    wealth and lives and fruits, but give
    good tidings to the patient,

Who, when disaster strikes them, say,
    “Indeed we belong to God, and indeed
    to Him we will return.”

Those are the ones upon whom are
    blessings from their Lord and mercy.
    And it is those who are the [rightly]
    guided.

3. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

It almost seems as though both Chris and Jordan are making the same point, just in different ways. Don't know why you take exception to Jordans explaination.

4. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

And the point also is that God doesn't "DO or ALLOW" anything; it's just all part of being on a planet where anything goes pretty much and the only thing we can do is try and make the best of it and stay faithful, and then look forward to and seek eternal rewards in the end.

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Do you think this is the only time god created a world?

6. Cara

Cara New Member

God hath not promised skies
    always blue,
    Flowers-strewn pathways all
    our lives through;

God hath not promised sun
    without rain,

Joy without sorrow, peace
    without pain.

But God hath promised strength
    for the day.

Rest for the labor, light for the way,
    Grace for the trials, help
    from above,

Unfailing sympathy Undying
    love...

By Annie Johnson Flint...............I always loved this.

7. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

It's the only one we know about.

8. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

So much of this is based on faith and knowing we cannot comprehend God, so it's all very hard to explain, understand, believe, etc.

9. June-

June- New Member

This is a question I never try to answer because I think the answer is beyond my comprehension.

10. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Looks like the "ice princess" who knows it all is back for awhile. ;)

11. Titus

Titus New Member

I agree. We, as humans of our limited understanding, try to compartmentalize or define God on our terms. God is beyond our understanding. If you are a Christian, the Bible tells us that God's ways are higher than our ways.

Just today my brother was trying to explain God as being "pure energy" and trying to scientifically explain how God might exist. He was talking higher-level physics and comparing God to the science that has been discovered within the past few decades. I asked him if he believed God created everything and he said yes. I asked him if he thought all of God's creation, including scientific discoveries, had been revealed. He said no. I asked him if he thought it would be possible that some of the science (for lack of better word describing the universal laws of physics, etc.) MIGHT be beyone anyone's capacity to understand..........

Of course, he said yes but continued to try to describe his idea of God.

God is God. We are NOT. It's as simple as that (for me.)

If you don't believe in God, you can only agree that people who DO believe have many ideas, concepts, and thoughts that have no verifiable answers. As Christians, we have the teachings of Jesus Christ and the Bible. We believe God's Holy Spirit is our teacher (if we believe in Jesus and the Bible) so we go from there and trust God for the rest.

12. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Just my theory and the way I see it, instead of just pointing my finger upto the sky and saying "whyyyyy God" and expecting an answer to come echoing out of the clouds.

13. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Yeah whatever, but in reality you were trying to say that my comments are not as intelligent or on a level that you approve of I'm sure(which is something the old "ice princess" might think or say). ;)

14. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I am actually just playfully poking fun at you because you have been a bit testy and grouchy with me and a few others since last night, and taking it to the PM's would just mean that it would get copied & then pasted onto the Front Porch anyway so I'm not gonna bother.

15. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Here we go again....... ???

16. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

Well we were created by God to have Choice.

God allows us to have our choices and to live the consequences of those choices.

We can suffer directly from our own bad choices. ("you reap what you sow")

Unfortunately we can also suffer because of the bad choices of those around us.

Back in the Garden of Eden Adam and Eve made a choice to disobey God. The result of that is SIN entered the world and they (Adam & Eve) came to a knowledge of GOOD and EVIL. In Eden they were only exposed to what was GOOD but now mankind has to deal with EVIL as well and choose between the two.

Some of our suffering is simply the World itself that God created and said it was GOOD has also been corrupted when Adam and Eve disobeyed God. So our Earth now doesn't function as it was originally intended. Oh and of course over the years mankind has done damage that has also impacted the way the Earth is, so it isn't just due to the FALL back in Eden. The Amazon drying up for example that is mainly due to over logging the rainforest.

Anyway why does God allow certain BAD events in our lives? Mainly due to God giving us CHOICE and unfortunately many people over the years have made BAD choices and we are today Reaping the outcome of those BAD choices. Some are our own bad choices and some are because of others. In other words most of it is our own fault (meaning the collective fault of mankind over the centuries).

In the Bible God does intervene and miraculously changes events for the Good of Mankind (we only have a some historic recordings of various events who knows how God many times God has intervened that hasn't been recorded for us to know about). God hasn't fully abandoned us to our own devices since the Fall in the Garden of Eden. There are some events recorded where God has saved us from bad consequences so we can know God limits what we have to suffer in this world.

I haven't been sharp enough this morning to go give a better answer here. There is more to it but I'm not up to trying to summarise it down to a few sentences.

Chris I agree with you when you say we are given over to sort out between good and bad/evil in this world today. Adam and Eve introduced to the World the need to choose between Good and Evil. We all live under that now.

However I don't agree God has left us completely alone with this task and that He is always willing to help us with this if we would allow Him into our lives to do so.

17. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

There is no end to the suffering in the world. It is incomprehensible. As Intrepid said - it would be unthinkable that a parent would do that to their own children. Believers then stress that that is exactly the point - that it is beyond human comprehension and that God requires faith and trust, not comprehension. But God created a species (us) who have conciousness and comprehension. But only up to a point apparantly. It's weird, it's unfathomable and it's certainly worthy of discussion.

Much of the suffering in the world is man made but much is not. Hurricane Katrina and the one in Haiti, the tsunami in Indonesia which killed 250,000 people - none of these are man made. These events must test the faith of even the most faithful.

Chris there is no theory on this so simple that everyone can accept it let alone understand it. That goes for the believers and the non believers. My understanding is that believers struggle with this frequently. If you put it out there (i.e. on this thread) don't get surprised and/or angry that others question it.

18. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I also believe that there are other unseen forces at work going on around us everyday that are creating opportunities for us to make bad or good decisions, and after making those decisions there will be a ripple effect that is either positive or negative somewhere down the line(I hope that's not going too deep for anyone).

19. June-

June- New Member

I will go on record as saying I don't believe there are any tricks to see if we are bad or good. First of all God made us, we are how he made us. Second, I believe like superman he has xray vision and if he wanted to see through our devious little pea brains he could. But mainly, I do not believe the creator of the universe operates on the petty level that people do. I don't think he sets up tests to see if we are sufficiently subservient to him. I think it's all on a completely different level and it's just way beyond our understanding. I think God would expect me to do my best and I try.

20. Titus

Titus New Member

I agree with you, June. Our brains are just too small to understand the complexity of God. I spent years trying to intellectualize Him before I accepted Him.

That's not to say that others can't discuss their idea on how God works......but it really does make me chuckle a bit.

I guess we're just curious creatures.