A Successful New Approach to Meniere's Disease -- Official John of Ohio regimen

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by solari, May 20, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

John, I thought your regimen stated 500mg lysine twice daily? Do you now recommend the much higher dose?

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Joe,

Yes, that was an older dose, which I found to be inadequate to control herpes infections. There is a good body of evidence for the control of herpes with lysine by people fighting cold sores. They have discovered that 3000 mgs, spread out during the day, without food, offers the best chance of suppressing herpes virus replication.

I've revised the regimen posting to reflect this, http://www.menieresresources.org/Resources/HomePage?action=download&upname=ANewApproachtoMenieresDisease-TheJohnofOhioRegimen.pdf

-John of Ohio

3. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

I'm doing well at 1000/day, should I sty there?

4. ColleenA

ColleenA New Member

I am new to this site. Came across it trying to find answers to recently being diagnosed with Meniere's. I want to try John's approach but I want to make sure it won't interact with a the other supplements I take for pvc's. Do any of your suggested supplements interact with CoQ10, Omega 3, L. Carnitine, D. Ribose, Magnesium, or Aloe Gel?

Also, my understanding of meniere's was there is a definate hearing loss. I don't experience hearing loss at all. I do have dizzy spells (NOT vertigo), ear fullness and tinnitus in my left ear. My ENT did not do any tests, he just based his diagnosis from my symptoms. Any thoughts? Should I seek another opinion?

Thanks for your information :)

5. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

I've had it for 4 years & never suffered any permanent hearing loss. Most do, but not all. I'm very lucky there! I'm sure John will reply with specifics to your other questions, Joe

6. ColleenA

ColleenA New Member

Thanks, Joe!

I'm trying my hardest to not let this condition stop my life. Is it possible to still live a normal life with Meniere's? I started having dizzy spells on/off for about a week or so in the beginning of June. Then the ear fullness and ringing started. I have been to the chiro since and he is doing his best to help with the symtoms. The dizzy spells are now very few and very mild. Mostly I have ear pain and fullness on and off and the ringing at night when all is quiet. Seems like that part is getting worse (ringing). I'm anxious to start John's approach as long as it won't cause a problem with my other supplements.

I was reading along your posts as well. I'm very happy that your symptoms are improving. It just doesn't seem right that people have to live with this.

7. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

ColleenA glad you found the site... welcome to our world.. please let us know how your doing

8. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Colleen,

I'm familiar with all of the supplements you listed, and take most of them myself. (You should also be taking a minimum of 2000 IU of vitamin D3. 4000 would be better, but that's an entirely other good health story which you can determine yourself at www.vitamindcouncil.org.) Nothing in the regimen conflicts with what you are taking at all.

Meniere's, in the early stages, does not always incur a hearing loss. Hang around long enough, and it will, however. That's why it would be good to get on the regimen right away, to maintain your hearing.

--John of Ohio

9. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Joe,

Yes, if 1000 mgs gms has stopped the progression of your Meniere's, that's fine and you should continue with it at that dose.

But at the first hint that symptoms are starting to return or intensify, I'd go right to 3000 mgs as described above.

Actually, I continue to recommend a single 500 mg dose for those with complete control of symptoms, a maintenance dose that can keep the suppressed herpes from resuming its activity. I take 500 mgs myself each evening.

--John of Ohio

10. newflady

newflady New Member

Thanks John and Joe, I woke up this morning and my unaffected ear was clogged....been a weird couple of weeks.

11. ColleenA

ColleenA New Member

Thanks all!

John, I started the D3 this morning (2000 iu) and will go to the herbal shop this afternoon fo rthe rest.

Does anyone notice symptoms are worse on days that the rain is on it's way. The Ohio weahter seems to cause a lot of pressure in my ear today. In addition, I have a lot of drainage on that side as well. Is that part of Meniere's.

When I was diagnosed by my ENT he didn't have time to explain Meniere's to me. Not to mention, he didn't do any tests other than a hearing test,which was normal. So I'm not really sure what all to expect. He told me to come back in a month. I felt bad because he was crazy busy that day, but now I'm left with a hundred unanswered questions.

Thanks for the support!

12. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

ColleenA, Barometric pressure changes DOES do a number on most of us. I can usually tell a day ahead of time when the weather is going to change, I'll get a fullness in my ears and a little off balance, foggy feeling. but it is alot better since I've started taking the vitamins. It's always a plus when anything makes you feel better than you did. I know all about the Ohio weather, that's one reason I left and that was BEFORE I had MM ha ! There's alot of research you can do on this forum, look around you'll find answers to most of your questions. In the meantime cut down on your salt & caffeine. Has your Dr. given you any prescrips?

13. ColleenA

ColleenA New Member

Basically, in the 5 minutes he was in the room, he advised no more than 1000 mg salt per day and antivert. Problem is, the antivert makes me feel worse so I do not take it. Wouldn't it make more sense to take a decongestant?

I do not have caffeine. It was hard but I emmediately gave up the coffee last month when the dizzies and fullness started.

I have been browsing through all the different posts today. There is a lot of good info to consider.

I'm leaving now to pick up the supplements. Wish me luck!

Thank you!

14. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

I was taking a prescribed allergy pill from my first doctor but the prescription on it ran out and haven't called my current dr to get it refilled or another one. Now that I haven't been taking it I don't feel any different so I'm just going to let it go for now. Good Luck!... maybe you should look for a different dr?? There is a list of all of our names on here and the dr's we go to by state, just use the search box maybe there's one where you live or close by that's better than the one your going to now.

15. ColleenA

ColleenA New Member

Thanks, Carolyn. I will.

16. ColleenA

ColleenA New Member

Carolyn,
    I'm not finding it. I can find the list of members. But it doesn't list doctors. Am I in the wrong area?

17. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

type in part or all of : doctors you would recommend in your area... that'll get you there.

18. ColleenA

ColleenA New Member

Thanks. That worked...

19. Karen26

Karen26 New Member

This is Karen26...a newbie. (Was just diagnosed this month...and my ENT told me very little.
    Can someone help me with the following questions?confirm for me the following:

1) If I take 2,000 mg.of Lysine and 4,000 mg. of Vitamin D every single day indefinitely, that should help significantly and have no side effects?

2) I work in an office and travel sometimes via car, train and plane? Should I have a letter explaining the disease on me so that someone doesn't call 911 if I get an attack?

3) I get enough notice if I'm driving to pull over to the side of the road if I get an attack, and thus far, my attacks don't last more than 1-2 hours or so and I only get them once every three weeks. My issue is on a plane or train. Should I just sit as close the the rest room as possible? On airplane, should I tell flight attendant when I get on the plane?

4) Any other advice for a newbie? I have no idea what to expect. I didn't realize how much MD would affect my life until I got on the web!!!

Thanks. Karen 26

20. pianojoe

pianojoe New Member

Hello Karen, I would recommend the whole regimen, not just lysine & D. I've never had any side affects. Your sounds just like mine, a three week cycle, which is typical of a virus. My bet is you would have good success, this is worth a try. I have seen this cycle slow down dramatically since I started in late April & the attacks aren't nearly as severe now. I've had slight pressure & slight low frequency hearing loss for the past few days, but it has not built. I cranked up to 3g lysine daily the minute I felt a symptom. Seems to have stalled the progression. I too fear having an attack while flying as I travel alot. I actually had one on a plane once but I was barely able to get up & off the plane, not quite a debilitating attack, thank God! Keep us posted ; ) Joe