A Successful New Approach to Meniere's Disease -- Official John of Ohio regimen

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by solari, May 20, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

I would also reocmmend the lysine, which can really stop the virus which causes most Meniere's. Lysine will be much easier (and cheaper) to purchase than Veritigoheel, which requires a prescription.

Keep us posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

2. ZRXDarryl

ZRXDarryl New Member

Long time sufferer of Meniere's checking in.

Very happy to have found this site, and especially this post. Thanks John, as well as all who contribute. I've alot of reading to do, but firstly I'm off to the nearby Vitamin Shoppe for the beginning of my attempt at your regimen. I'll be trying the first 3 today, and expect to add the rest as time goes by. Of course I'll be patient, have no choice really.

My story, briefly; diagnosed in '76 at the age of 15, right ear. Lots of tinnitus/dizzy spells/vomiting in a cyclical fashion. Antivert first up, no help. Phenergan/promethazine followed, did help, if not directly, by allowing me to actually sleep, most time resulting in awakening to reduced effects of vertigo/dizziness/vomiting. Never tried anything else, I take then when episodes reappear. I'd say I go long periods with no actual dizzy attacks or spells, but live with occasional mild dizziness/vertigo - the tinnitus has been present since '76. Last time in to see the Dr when a spate of episodes prompted me to see if anything new could help. The Dr basically took the "just have to learn to live with it" approach since I was not interested in any surgery or chemical destruction - too invasive.

funny how many musicians - I'm not one, I'm a drummer. I also vowed many years ago, in anger, to not let this disease stop me from doing what I love. Another passion other than music is riding motorcycles. Thankfully nothing to report about Meniere's causing a crash. Can't complain, though the prospect of reducing any of my Meniere's symptoms has me VERY excited.

I'll be back to report my results. Once again, Thanks so much.

3. Descartes

Descartes New Member

Just ordered the recommended suppliments.I have been having symptoms for about 5 months. I've Always had waxy ears and put it down to that (plus possible infection) and I suffer motion sickness at times so I am going to come at this issue from both the mechanical (Atlass bone) and immunological direction.I'll let you know how I get on in the coming weeks n months.Hopefully I've caught this early.

Thanks for all the great info everyone.

4. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

I just read hyour regime, john of ohio, recently posted. vinca is periwinkle, grows every where here as a ground cover. Yesterday I heard an interview by charlot gerson. she said salt is a culprit for cancer by imballancing the electrolytes. I've been using no salt or baking soda, I've done this before for other reasons. so far so good, no attacks since nov, & the hearing came back in the affected ear. so far so good, but 2 more months until I'll feel a bit safe. still dizzy, a bit.

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Vinca is periwinkle. But vinca is not vinpocetine. Vinpocetine is a chemical extract from Vinca, not the plant itself.

--John of Ohio

6. Descartes

Descartes New Member

Tinnitus and Vit D overdose.

Wife was doing research and discovered that vitamin overdose can indeed cause tinnitus as result of it stripping out magnesium from the body.I indeed have been taking quite a bit of vitamin D3 in recent times and so this is an avenue I need to look into.I had already started to take magnesium as part of my vitamin/mineral regime.

Link here:

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/can-too-much-vitamin-d-cause-a-ringing-in-my-ears.html

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

It is iimpossible for the small amounts of vitamin D commonly consumed, say in the 2000 to 6000 IU range, to thereby consume magnesium. Magnesium ranges in the hundreds of millgrams. Vitamin D is prohormone, a very very tiny physical amount.

If vitamin D caused magnesium depletion, then this would be common in tropical parts of the world where everyone is exposed daily to large amounts of UVB and make massive amounts of vitamin D in the skin.

But this is not to diminish the healthful role of adequate magnesium, nor the fact the virtually all modern Americans fail to get even the inadequate magnesium levels from modern food. Everyone should be taking 400 mgs or so of magnesium citrate each day.

But that's not because vitamin D depletes magnesium. It's because modern food has little bioavailable magnesium.

Plainly, vitamin D "overdose" (which never occurs, as indicated by the Vitamin D Council at http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml) doesn't cause tinnitus.

If large amounts of vitamin D caused tinnitus, lifeguards would all have it. As the Vitamin D Council webpage states:
    "Humans make at least 10,000 units of vitamin D within 30 minutes of full body exposure to the sun,...." How much, then, is made after 6 hours in the sun in one day? How about three months of this?

--John of Ohio

8. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

Good Morning-

I have been dealing with Meniere's for the last 3 years. It is in my left ear. The length between being well and being sick is getting shorter and shorter. And, the length of sickness is getting longer. I am excited about trying JOH regime! My doctor ordered Valtrex for me and is willing to work this new approach! I have been taking it for one week now along with the l-lysine. Yesterday I added the lemon bioflavonoid. Will add a new supplement every Sunday.

I have been going down hill since the middle of January. Usually steroids will bring my hearing back and stop the vertigo/dizziness. But this time they totally failed. And, it left me shocked! So, I started researching the Internet and found this wonderful site. This is the first time I have had to depend on Valium to calm down the dizziness. And, I have even been wearing a patch behind my ear, Transdem-scop, to help.

As of right now, my hearing is a little better. (I use the phone dial-tone to test it!) And, I have not put on a new patch since Thursday. Feeling slightly light-headed, but good. I visited a NUCCA doctor 2 weeks ago. My atlas was out of alignment. He adjusted me and I have been holding the adjustment ever since--which is good!

When not at work, I have been sleeping my life away on my couch since the middle of January. Totally exhaustion. I have been very good about watching my diet, but really nothing has worked long-term. I have taking allergy shots for the last two years as my doctor thought it was allergy related.
    Will keep everyone posted on my results. Let's hope that the results are good!

9. Ice

Ice New Member

I was originally diagnosed with Meniere's in the 1970s and in 2002 a neurotologist changed it to bilateral delayed endolymphatic hydrops since I had suffered a substantial hearing loss in childhood.

Do you think this regimen could help me? In my deaf ear the cause was viral, but in my hearing ear it is meniere's like in the temporal bone studies that have been done from what I can find. My ears have become quite active again and I fear going back to total uselessness.

10. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Ice,

There is no way I could assure you that the regimen could help your situation. First, I'm not a doctor and it would be inappropriate for me to either diagnose or prescribe anything for your condition.

But I can say this. The reginmen, particularly the lysine, has shown to often (not always) be effective against herpes viruses that are frequently the prime cause of Meniere's symptoms, from a viral inflammation in the inner ear.

Consequently, it wouldn't hurt to give at least the lysine a 3-month try, being careful to take it diligently as described int he regimen write-up here:
    http://www.menieresresources.org/Resources/HomePage?action=download&upname=ANewApproachToMenieresDisease-TheJohnOfOhioRegimenJan2010.pdf

If your symptoms are classic Meniere's ones, including vertigo and/or dizziness, hydrops (ear pressure), and any of the others, the regimen has a good chance of reducing or eliminating these.

--John of Ohio

11. KTabc

OK--I need some encouragement. Have been doing this for only 3 weeks. Starting week 4. I have been soo sick. Missed work all last week. Week 3 I lost patiences and finished adding all the supplements. Is there ANY hope here for JOH regime working for me?? What is going on with me, any ideas?

KTabc

12. GrayTopZombie

GrayTopZombie New Member

KTabc, I started the JOH 8 weeks ago and like you I started it in the middle of a very difficult time. Prior to starting I had just had the most massive vertigo episode and was having a tough time bouncing back from it. Constant ringing in my affected ear, fullness, terrible brain fog, loss of hearing, intermittent dizziness and a general feeling of malaise. I didn't feel stable enough to drive, so on the days that I could make it into work my wife had to drive me. There were also days when I was feeling more stable and drove into work only to get dizzy later in the day and have to be driven home.

I started the JOH regimen in the middle of all this taking 1 new supplement each week. Progress has been slow but steady. After 8 weeks of the JOH I am functional, working and relatively comfortable. Gone is the dizziness, brain fog, and feeling of general malaise. My ear is still ringing at about the same amplitude and I have some fullness but much less than when I started and my hearing isn't as bad. Did taking the JOH regimen help? Yeah, it did. I'm committed to continuing it.

Throughout many posts on this forum, John of Ohio encourages patience and diligence when using his regimen. Positive results sometimes take a long time. Please hang in there and continue using the info on this forum. It's been a huge ray of hope for me. I'm very grateful to have found this site.

13. KTabc

Dear GTZ-

Thanks for the reply and encourgement! I needed to hear from someone.........I started Serc at the beginning of the week and can notice an improvement. I am committed to JOH regime. But, I needed to add something to it so I could work and function. I haven't been able to drive either. But, this week now, I can drive to work--it is only 1.5 miles, thank goodness.

I will do anything to feel better.

Thanks again for your support :)
    KTabe

14. GrayTopZombie

GrayTopZombie New Member

Check out this topic in success stories and go to page 2 to read the success story post from ajm0623. A great JOH success story.

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,25041.15.html

15. JF2740

JF2740 New Member

Hey Hank,

I found this guy Dr. Denton by my house. He is a NUCCA practitioner.

http://www.nuccabirthplace.com/

Nucca birthplace, is this bullshit? Or do you think he would be able to do the job?

16. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

This is not Hank's thread - you may want to move it to 'The cause and successful treatment of my Meniere's' here in the database.

17. KTabc

Update--
    I have had to ration my Serc until I get my supply in from Canada. And, I must say, I am holding my own:) I believe that is because of JOH and having a small amount of Serc in my system--taking 12 mg just 2x a day. Can feel some fullness and light-headed-ness here and there, but no dizziness since March 29th--that is huge for me.

Have been on the full JOH regime since March 9th. Keeping my fingers crossed and my pills at the ready...........

Thanks John!

18. pamina

pamina New Member

Here's an update from me:

Started the JoH regime in September, along with 16mg x 3 Serc. No proper spins or attacks until I had 2 in January in quick succession. Since then, have been feeling fine and was starting to get very confident that the dizzies had gone onto the back burner (tinnitus and hearing loss had not changed however).

Unfortunately I had a drop attack totally out of the blue 3 weeks ago, which was a real shock as I had been feeling fine.

I've been reading with interest the Vitamin C experiment and have decided that I will add this to the current pills I'm taking. Also, when I am back at the hospital later this month I am going to push for anti-virals, but I'm not sure if they are prescribed in the UK for people with MM.

Anyway, I'd like to say that I count myself as a success so far on the Joh regime - 2 spins and 1 drop in over 7 months isn't bad at all.

19. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Pamina,

But we'd all rather that you'd have had NO spins or drops at all.

Have you been consuming 1500 mgs, or 3000 mgs of lysine each day? An older version of my regimen is still posted on the Internet, with 1500 mgs, and I've tried to get this removed, to no avail. It is clear now that at least 3000 mgs is needed, in at least three 1000 mg doses spread out through the day, taken without food.

Details are here:
    http://www.menieresresources.org/Resources/HomePage?action=download&upname=ANewApproachToMenieresDisease-TheJohnOfOhioRegimenJan2010.pdf

Please keep us posted on your progress, whether with prescription antivirals, or with megadoses of vitamin C. Both can be very helpful.

--John of Ohio

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hey John,

What is your thinking on the drop attacks Pamina had? What would cause them and what would the regimen do to offset that cause? Any ideas?