Actual Brands - Info request

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Moogs, Jul 9, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Another product to look for are the Tumarros brand tortillas. They have 3 mg of sodium each and are made from 100% whole grains, flax and soy. They are in major supermarket chains.

2. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

AS I think of stuff I will add

'Hunts Salt free Tomato paste'..........is a great one to keep in the pantry

3. Moogs

Moogs New Member

:p

Well I think the name leaves a lot to be desired but otherwise

Dirty Potato Chips (Unsalted)

No sodium, no potassium, no nuttin
    Just potatoes with the skins on, sliced and fried in non-choloeterol oil. Apparently they were the first to make chips with the skins on and that is what the name means.

In fact, the whole family passed the Lays regular chips and scarfed these right up. I told them they DO have to finish the open bag of Lays though! ::)

4. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

I know what you mean my husband ate up my whole bag one night of michael seasons unsalted potato chips. He had ruffles on the fridge that I just bought by his request, if he wanted the salt free he should have asked for them ::)

5. tm53

tm53 New Member

FYI: My Dr. told me to target 1500-2000 mg of sodium per day as well and cautioned me about dropping below 1500 per day. Your mileage may vary of course but you really do need the stuff to live. Just a friendly suggestion, I'd confirm with the MD before you set your target min and max per day.

It does take some getting used to reading the labels and it's surprising how much one mfg can vary from the other for the "same" product. On a positive note I'd say I am eating much healthier now so that's actually been a benefit. Seen some great ideas, suggestions and recipes here since I've joined as well, thanks all!

6. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Boy, this is such a help to me too. Thanks all. I am heading for Trader Joe's soon. I need to learn easy, healthy things that I can make quickly for dinner and lunch when I get hungry. For so many years I had quick frozen things that weren't horrible in salt, but I want to do better. I love bacon so thanks Burd for that tip too! I had my laby 5 weeks ago, and am feeling great vertigo wise, but have more pressure in my ear. They plugged my ear tube and I wish I hadn't had them do that. Lots of pressure. That was not a big problem before,but it's worse now than I ever remember. I wonder why. Again, thanks, Lisa B. (Does Trader Joe's sell low so pasta?)

7. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Moogs,I have also found that ice cream treats are very low in sodium, such as nestle crunch chocolate covered ice cream bars, ice cream cups, etc. For that sweet tooth time. Lisa

8. burd

burd New Member

Most pasta is low sodium, no matter where you go, unless you are looking for pasta and sauces combined, then I can't recommend anything there. I get my uncooked naked pastas at any store.

9. Moogs

Moogs New Member

Hi folks!

I hope you are all doing well. This site has a very good breakdown for all sorts of diet restrictions (gluten, salt, sugar, etc). You have to put in your local store tho to get to the site that lists exact products for your diet.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/specialdiets

Lately, I have also found a bunch of low sodium stuff at super walmart. I am pretty happy with the breadth of stuff I have in my kitchen now.

XX
    OO

10. burd

burd New Member

Too much good info to let it fall by the wayside. Here's bumping it for newer ones to see.

11. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

Always happy to share a find and to find something new!

For salad dressings: O'Charleys Honey Mustard. (O'Charleys is a restaurant here ... don't care for the restaurant much, but the dressing is only 140 mg per 2 TBSP. Pretty awesome for creamy dressing). The dressing is so delicious, I'd buy it even if I wasn't on lo-so diet.

For dip: Best one I found was Food City's own brand of French Onion dip: 135 mg per 2 TBSP. I also use it on baked potatoes, instead of plain sour cream ... gives it a nice flavour.

Health Valley Low Fat Chicken Broth (no MSG, no added salt). Has total of 130 mg per can. I haven't tried it yet, however. I figure it would be easier to start with this rather than start from scratch and then I can punch it up a little.

For munchies: I discovered that Jelly Bellies (those really tasty flavoured jelly beans) don't have any sodium at all. I'm now a horrible Jelly Bean addict. The first step is admitting it.

12. Moogs

Moogs New Member

Hi!
    Thanks, CdnTBear that dressing sounds really good to me. These home made vinegar concoctions are getting a little boring. I have to restrict lettuce but the rest of salad fixings are fine and I am always craving a creamy dressing that is not made of sour cream.

I tried Health Valley Low Fat Chicken Broth (no MSG, no added salt) in a box and it is just fine. I used it as soup base and in stuffing made from low sodium bread. I did not taste it straight, for some reason, the very chickeny smell of it was off-putting until I added the other ingredients.

XX
    OO

13. KatiePA

KatiePA New Member

Hi all,
    I am a newbie to the site (discovered it last week) and am still discovering all it has to offer. I could go on and on forever about low sodium cooking. I love to cook and, in the past four years, think I've adjusted pretty well to producing decent-tasting meals. Glad to have a group for sharing ideas!

I will second all the Trader Joe's recommendations. We don't have one in our small Central PA city so I stock up when visiting mom or the in-laws in major cities. They make a no-salt added organic marinara sauce in a jar that is excellent! (35 mg/serving).

But the main reason I'm posting is to champion Farmer Boy Restaurant Greek salad dressing. We get it at our local Giant. 0 MG SODIUM! I make my own salad dressing sometimes, but it's nice to have this in the fridge when I'm feeling lazy, or for my husband, who is still learning to cook. We use it to marinate fish and chicken, as a dressing for cooked vegetables as well as for salads. (It is quite sugary though, for those who have to watch that too).

Katie

14. Emily

Emily New Member

Katie - I have to look for that salad dressing. Also at Giant, look for Walnut Acres organic low sodium, fat free, tomato basil pasta sauce - 20 mg per serving!! And we love it... It's in the organic section.

Emily

15. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

Thanks to the awesome friends here at the MM forum, I discovered the website: www.healthyheartmarket.com and found some great items: Lum's BBQ sauce, is really good and very lo-so, the pasta sauce (Enrico's?) is quite good, and I also use Liquid Hickory Smoke for steaks and such. I marinate them in the liquid smoke for 1 day before grilling - adds great flavour with very little sodium.

16. KatiePA

KatiePA New Member

Emily,
    Our Giant doesn't have the organic section yet, but there are plans to expand and add it soon (hopefully it'll be as nice as the one out your way). In the meantime, I am able to get the Walnut Acres marinara at a small health food store. I agree, it is delicious!

Katie

17. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

A BIG THANKS to KatiePa for recommending the Trader Joe's Organic No Salt Marinara sauce. Just had it for dinner over some pasta and a BIG YUM!

You know I go to trader Joes about once every two weeks and I just must have been walking right past that one.....this thread is so helpful.

And here is one for you:I like the frozen grilled veg burritos. One big one has a 290 sodium count less than Amy's and so filling. I buy the lo-sodium salsa to put on them.

I also bought the low sodium butternut squash soup and I have to say it was a big disapointment in that it has way too much sugar. When they leave out salt sometimes they put in so much extra sugar.

This Marinara sauce really will fill a big void!

18. Moogs

Moogs New Member

no giant, not trader joe here but ... I did just visit that healthyheartmarket.com - my order is in... hope the tuna is good!
    thanks all!

19. tachar16

tachar16 With God, all things are possible!

I understand your delima. I had the same thing. I'd go to grocery shop or go to church or whatever and I couldn't even make it five mins before I had to leave. It's frustrating. But now that I have gotten my sodium level between 500 and 1000 mg, I am much better. Still every time the weather changes, it's still hard. In the beginning I would think that just one time with some pizza or fetticcini and even my mom's chili, I would be ok. WRONG!! If I had a smidge bit over 1000 mg of sodium, I had a horrible attack. So I have done a lot to change my diet and I haven't had an attack in almost a year!!! So here are some things that I eat. And I make no sacrifices when it comes to taste!

Any fresh veggies are a good choice. Especially for mexican foods. Tomatoes, onions, peppers. Peppers do a really good job of giving food flavor. I use a lot of individual spices. Don't use mixed spices though because they usually have mostly salt in them. My favorites are cumin, cyenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, corriander, paprika and there are many others too for different flavors such as for italian foods and such. Those veggies and spices I mentioned make a wonderful chili!!!!!

Some brands of foods I get are Uncle Ben's original long grain rice. The ones in the orange pouch that cook in 90 seconds. Be careful and don't get the flavored ones though. I get that because it cooks in the microwave fast! Of course most rices and beans don't have any sodium or very little. You just have to cook them forever. Birdseye unseaseoned steam in a bag veggies. Those are delicious. Most swiss cheeses are low in sodium and I have gotten used to putting swiss on everything.

I also just discovered Healthy Choice frozen pizzas are low in sodium. I usually am very low in sodium most of the day and then sit down to a dinner that I am really going to enjoy and lately the pizza has been it! It tasts good, is good for you and only has between 400 and 500 mg. I am so happy about that because I htought I'd never have pizza again!

Also most pastas don't have sodium in them so you can pretty much eat a lot of pasta. Another favorite dish is sauteed chicken, veggies, and a mushroom sauce over noodles. I make the mushroom sause out of a low sodium chicken brother I found at a health food store. You will probably have to one of those. They are usually small stores so you could just ask them to get it for you. It suprisingly only has 60 mg in it. Ok so I sautee mushrooms in olive oil, then put a little flour on it, then put a little bit of heavy whip cream you get in the carton and then some of the chicken broth. And stir that until it thickens. It's wonderful. For the chicken and veggies, I just sautee it in olive oil, with zucchini, broccoli, bell peppers and sometimes onion. I put all that over noodels and melt swiss cheese on it and it is to die for!!!

All of this I made up so just get some spices as staples, get a cookbook or just figure out what you want and think of ways to substitute or do without the sodium and eat them anyway. Most of what I've cooked, I don't miss the sodium at all. It tastes better to me. Oh and I've lost 25 pounds on this diet too!!! And if you can't cook, you can eat the healthy choice, smart ones, birds eye veggies with rice and cheese, buritos with rice, avacado, swiss cheese and corn tortillas, instant oat meal, maltomeal, and of course salad with limited dressing. There are ways. If you need anymore recipes or help, my myspace is www.myspace.com/stayinspiredforgod. Godd luck!!!! You'll get through this! We all will!

20. burd

burd New Member

bump