Actual Brands - Info request

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Moogs, Jul 9, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Just thought I'd put this one up on top again......thought Denise would like reading this one.-Yvonne

2. anavert

anavert New Member

I shop and cook for my husband (bilateral meniere's) and it's no big deal Besides some of the things mentioned, Trader Joe's has no salt peanut butter (both smooth and crunchy), chocolate cat cookies that you can have bunches of. We are in AZ and get Honey sprouted wheat sesame bread by Health Breads Inc.(5 mg. per serving). You can get very low sodium white bread at Fry's which is Kroger. Swiss cheese tends to be lower than any other cheese...Boars Head brand at the deli has a very good baby swiss. Schreiber Foods out of Green Bay, WI makes a low sodium cheddar cheese that we buy here. It has 5 mg./oz and is quite good. Boars Head is supposed to make a low sodium beef for sandwiches but we haven't found a store that sells it. Here in Az it's often too hot to carry foods without> salt as it needs the preservative to maintain freshness. Heinz has no salt ketchup/There are many mustards available. You just have to read the label. Trader Joe's has a few salsas that are excellent. For baking you can find Hain baking pwdr with 0 sodium.

Re eating out...He can almost always get steamed veggies and chicken or beef at a Chinese restaurant. Fried wontons are okay usually. Some places will give you egg foo young without sauce. We use Bragg liquid aminos for soy sauce. I use it as well. The sodium content says it's about 140 or so (didn't check the bottle) but we called the company years ago and they told us it's a natural sodium. My husband is extremely affected by salt and he's not had any problem with it. Guess it's like eating celery. Salty without salt. We also can eat at many Mexican restaurants. He asks them to make fajitas without salt. Many times if they make their own tortillas, you can eat the chips on the table...sometimes even the salsa. For anyone in this part of the country, In and Out will accomodate salt free hamburger and fries. He just eats part of the bun and does fine. Also WhATaburger. McDonald's will make fries without salt but you have to watch them cook it.

We've been doing this awhile now and it doesn't seem like a big deal to us. Both of us are healthier for the way we eat.

3. burd

burd New Member

This needs to stay on the first page. So much great information.

4. ET

ET Living in Charlie Brown's Classroom

Udi's granola. They have three varieties and 0mg sodium in all three. My fav is the Hawaiian. I like the touch of ginger and it has pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts. They also have the standard nut and raisin and also the cranberry walnut. It can be a bit messy, but I like it as a snack alternative. I found it at walmart in the cereal/granola section.
    Oh, and Healthy Choice has a new line out called fresh mixers..they don't need freezing or the fridge. I found them, again at walmart, in the aisle that has all the other shelf meals. The highest is 600mg but there are some at 400mg. 6 flavors..3 pasta based, 3 rice based. Easy to fix, just add water to cook the rice/pasta and then add the sauce.

5. ET

ET Living in Charlie Brown's Classroom

Oh...Vidalia Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing. Found it in the produce section (not refrigerated) at my walmart supercenter. 25mg sodium but little goes a long way. I didn't think I would like a fruit flavored dressing, but it has the vidalia onion in there as well. It is really good.

6. ttowngirl

ttowngirl New Member

I use the Trader Joes' Low Sodium Marinara in my pizza (kids LOVE it):

Make Red Star Pizza dough according to package directions (but just sprinkle sea salt - a dash, than following recipe),
    Use olive oil for pan.
    After spreading dough in pan (makes two pans or one big pan)
    Spread TJ's Lo So marinara (or any low salt marinara) around dough.
    Sprinkle lower sodium mozzerella over pizza.
    Sprinkle Mrs Dash Basil or Trader Joes No Salt Pasta seasoning on cheese
    Bake at 425 for 15 - 20 minutes in oven on low rack (this dough tends to be on the less browning side (package recommends cheese to brown dough but I omit it to go lo-so).
    Enjoy!

7. kim

kim New Member

Those of us with mm and mav need to read labels. Lots of products with no salt have other ingredents we can't have. I was really happy when I found no salt tuna in my local food store. Just something different to eat. I have not found a salad dressing that I can eat yet. so I just use oil and distilled white vinegar. I use alot of ginger and garlic in my cooking. I have to watch my carbs so I have found a bread with no salt that I can eat. McCains oatmeal is safe, just oats takes awhile to cook but has a nutty rich flavor. I only snack on fruit, the ones I can have. I keep my sodium level at about 1000 mg a day. If anyone knows of a cookbook which will also include diet for mav please pm me. Thanks and happy cooking.

8. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I just posted this but I tried Lean Cuisine gourmet mushroom pizza (they have another mushroom too), this one is 85 mg. salt and it was DELICIOUS! The cheese tasted awesome and it was a very filling serving, something I usually have problems with with Lean Cuisine. Lisa

9. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Another find for me too..........my hubby and I have taken to eating some Lite Cool Whip for dessert instead of heavier stuff. It's very creamy and a big spoonful fills my sweet craving.
    No salt at all! And low in calories.
    We keep it frozen like ice cream. I buy the big container.
    Lisa

10. dancing_kiwi17

dancing_kiwi17 New Member

I also use cool whip as desert. I get sugar free and I freeze it so its alot like ice cream...I also use it in place of frozen yogurt in my fruit smoothies...taste awesome with less calories, fat, sugar, and sodium.

11. dancing_kiwi17

dancing_kiwi17 New Member

Which bread is it you eat. I also watch carbs and only eat wheat breads for weight purposes, I would love to know.

12. ShariN

ShariN New Member

The Nutritionist said," people should be on 800 to 1000mg of salt a day, to stay healthy". So being on that kind of low salt won't hurt me.
    You also have to take in account how much salt natural foods have.. would be suprise at how much salt Spinach and tomatoes have! Fruits, Veggies and so on.. all have salt in them. When you need to count mg...one has to take that into account.

I make my own bread,, everything for sale at the markets, has wayyy too much salt. I have a recipe I like for my bread machine if anyone is interested.
    Also make my own Bangor sauage, Chili and so on. Can't buy any of those things store bought.

Mayonnaise...oh.. this stuff is good!!! Only 20mg of salt.
    http://www.pacificaculinaria.com/gourmet_mayonnaise.html

Lum taylors BBQ sauce.. Full flavored, spicy... really nice ~ 15mg of salt
    http://healthyheartmarket.com/lumtaylorsbarbequesauce.aspx

Maranatha no salt added peanut butter is really good ~ 0mg of salt
    http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172832&prrfnbr=198825

This Greek salad dressing is really good ~10mg of salt
    http://healthyheartmarket.com/farmerboyrestaurantgreekdressing.aspx

And so on.
    Hope this helps at least a little.

Still haven't found a ketchup where each serving is under 60mg..... that tastes good that is.

13. burd

burd New Member

bump

14. burd

burd New Member

Bump

15. Skyline

Skyline New Member

Thank y'all for telling me about the Lean Cuisine pizza. I found them tonight and bought 3. Even the BBQ ckicken pizza is less than 400 mg of sodium. These should be a good option with a salad for lunch at work, when I don't have leftovers from the night before. Right now I'm finishing off a big batch of pasta primavera that I made with the enricos spaghetti sauce, a bag of stir fry veggies, some hamburger meat, a can of low so stewed tomatoes, and some whole wheat pasta. One of those deals you make when you're hungry, and have a bunch of odds and ends to start with. This one turned out great. Some don't. :)

16. tm53

tm53 New Member

Kitchen Basics now makes a no salt added Chicken stock and Beef stock in a box. Found it at the regular grocery store.

17. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Lisa - I just now found this thread ::) and loved your post about Lean Cuisine Gourmet Mushroom Pizza....especially the low sodium amount!!!

But when I checked their website, it shows 540 mg of sodium in that pizza.....no wonder it tasted good!

http://www.leancuisine.com/Products/Details.aspx?ProductID=10676

Skyline - I see the BBQ Chicken Pizza has 430 mg....how much is one serving? Is it the whole pizza (are they small?) or just a portion of it?

18. Skyline

Skyline New Member

Deercharmer, yes they are single serving pizzas. About half of what I would have eaten in my pre low sodium days. ;-) But it will make a good meal with one of my super duper salads- lettuce, tomato, shrooms, and perhaps avacado.

19. Skyline

Skyline New Member

Having lunch at work right now and eating my first Lean Cuisine Roasted Vegetable Pizza. 280 mg of sodium. It' certainly not loaded down like a Pizza Hut or or Papa John's pizza, but it's a nice change of pace, quick and easy, and within my budget for daily sodium intake.

20. itsmemrsb

itsmemrsb New Member

I am very new. Some of you mentioned making your own salad dressings, could you share some recipes? Also, does anyone have a link to a website that shows the sodium count in natural items. I didn't think about spinch being high in sodium. I add it to pasta dishes a lot. This has been a great thread but unfortunatly, I live in Michigan and we don't have most of those stores/restauarants or if we do, they are 2 hours south of me. Guess I need a road trip. :)