Acyclovir anti-viral treatment : For you newbie's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Apr 3, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I have a prescription for Valtrex. I see most doctors prescribe acyclovir. What is the most common dosage for Valtrex in the beginning. My doctor was wonderful in prescribing it for me, but a little afraid of doing a high dosage for too long.

2. Mystical Wombat

Mystical Wombat New Member

Valtrex is Valcylovir. It becomes acylovir once it gets into your system, at a greater take up ratio than acylovir alone. Your doctor is the best advisor on dosage, however research suggests that Valtrex is generally well tolerated, and some individuals advocate 4 - 6 gm per day, depending on their situation. But I say again, ask your doctor about your dosage.

3. Sholly

Sholly New Member

Jerry,
    Dr. Gacek will see most people. I emailed him, and he responded personally to me the same day. I went to Boston over the summer, and he saw me and gave me antivirals. He has monitored me and my progress by email, as I am from Texas. He is actually having aortic valve surgery soon, if not already, so he may be recovering for awhile.

4. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Well, he prescribed it without any problem, but he doesn't want me on the high dosage normally required for MM treatment. His suggestion was to do the high dosage (500 mg, twice a day) for only three days and then 500 mg a day for as long as I want/need. I just wonder if I will see any improvement with that short a duration.

5. Sholly

Sholly New Member

shartsoe,
    Dr. Gacek prescribed 3 (500 mg) valacyclovir tabs a day for 3 weeks, then 2 a day for 2 weeks, then 1 a day for 6 months. I am now on the 1 per day. I never had any bad side effects with the higher doses. Is the dose you are on now helping?

6. Mystical Wombat

Hmmm. If you want to suppress a virus, you need to at least scare it, not amuse it. That dose seems conservative compared to others I have heard of. I'm currently on 4g per day (self prescribed).

7. June-

June- New Member

4grams of which antiviral? The dosages are quite different for acyclovir, famvir and valtrex.

8. cschneider

cschneider New Member

Has anyone had the procedure where the Acyclovir is placed in the middle ear in an outpatient procedure at the hospital? I tried the acyclovir orally but have still had some bad vertigo and nausea episodes so my doctor wants to try this. I see a Dr. Gacek in Mobile, AL. I wonder if he is related to the one in MA.

9. Mystical Wombat

Valtrex, or more correctly, the generic equivalent, Valcivir.

10. June-

June- New Member

Thanks just didn't want anyone to get the dosages mixed up.

11. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I didn't know about anti viral treatments until I read about it on here.
    Called my Dr.,and she prescribed it right away.
    It's been a month now, and I am still on 400mg, 3X a day, and it's amazing how much it's helping!
    I had a couple of bad days in the middle, but no real crazy spins, like I used to get. I've been in public places with no I'll effects, and I'm walking outside almost like a normal person! Still have that pesky ringing, but I can deal with it.

12. June-

June- New Member

Great news Gina ! Which antiviral are you taking?

13. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Acyclovir

Thank goodness I read about it here. That's part of what is so important about this site, isn't it?

14. June-

June- New Member

It's the main thing IMO. The numerous things which have brought success to people.

15. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Yes, I believe he is his son.

16. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

June

How long was it, with your anti virals, before you noticed a permanent difference in your symptoms?
    How long did you take them, do you still take them?

17. June-

June- New Member

I took them for about a month. I noticed the distortion cutting in and out right away (ie 5 days) but it was in and out not constant improvement. After about a month I judged my symptoms were maybe 65% improved which was terrific because they had just continued to get worse for 9 months of convention treatment with my oto. I didn't know at the time that it was a much longer process than one month. When allergy season started I started to have new symptoms and went to Dr Derebery at House Ear in LA. She tested me for allergies and started weekly allergy shots. She also prescribed 3 months worth of famvir. I really began to feel much better in the following months. I only took the famvir for those three months but continued shots. About 2 years into it I got a normal audiogram which has maintained. I did even during that time have now and then a six week period of lesser hearing which healed it self. I have learned from here at my last apt that I should have reported that and started antivirals (and prednisone) during those periods. I did take famvir for a month early this summer when I noticed a tiny bit of distortion returning. So it takes way longer than a month> Dr Derebery told me last visit that they don't know yet what the exact length of time it should be taken for optimal results but it is minimum 3 months and many take it for years. Don't give up. If you are trending in the right direction, keep taking it (assuming no medical issues with it).

18. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Thanx, June! So far, it's really been an improvement for me. Dr. Gave me four refills. I just wanted to make sure that my progress is as normal as anything can be with MM.

19. June-

June- New Member

two steps forward and one back was the rule for me but it kept getting better over all

20. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

I'm happy for you're success so far Gina!