Another 5 year success.....

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nwspin, Apr 15, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. nwspin

nwspin New Member

5 years ago today I had the ESD w/shunt surgery and have been vertigo free. Today I celebrated with pizza. I have not had to restrict my diet since the surgery. I know it doesn't work for everyone but after everything else failed it was the next step. I hope to have another 5 years and more free of symptoms.

2. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Congratulations! I am always happy to hear of ANY success that people have. So very glad for you!

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Wish you continued success M! This is very happy news :)

4. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

congrats! no tinnitus, perfect hearing?

5. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Yay Mike!!

Congrats on your 5 years :)

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Great to hear! Thanks for sharing your success!

7. nwspin

nwspin New Member

Still have tinnitus but I am bilateral so most the noise comes from the non shunted ear. My hearing was quite poor in my left ear before the surgery and my right ear (non active) was not too bad. Since the surgery my left ear (shunted ear) has improved by leaps and bounds and the right ear keeps going south. No pressure in the shunted ear, sometimes some very mild pressure in my other ear.

I'm hoping the non shunted hear stays calm but if not I would not hesitate to have a shunt in that ear also since my left ear has done so well with it.

Looking back, I waited too long to have this surgery. I tried most of the other treatments but nothing gave me much relief. But I was stubborn and I was sure one of them would work. My Neurotologists did not push me into surgery at all, he would just lay out all the options for me and even let me try the non traditional treatments such as JOH, NUCCA, etc. I decided on the ESD w/ Shunt because it was fairly minor surgery compared with the VNS. He said he had been very successful with it so I gave it a shot.

If SS's treatment were around then I probably would have tried it. Between, Steroid shots (not covered by insurance but applied to deductible), NUCCA & AO Chiro (not covered), JOH Vit & Supplements, and the out of pocket expense for my shunt surgery I have spent well over $10,000 on treatments so far. So SS's treatment would have cost about the same with the same assurances if it would work as the other treatments, maybe works, maybe not.

I hope everyone will find their success no matter what treatment. It is not an easy road to travel and it does take some time but I would not have been able to travel it without the help, support and caring of the people on this site. I was lucky to have found it the day after my first vertigo attack nine years ago and still come and lurk everyday.

You can read what I have written about the success or failure of this type of surgery here:
    http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,36589.msg757171.html#msg757171

8. dizzybee

dizzybee New Member

Awesome!! I hope it continues!! :)

9. chrisk

chrisk New Member

Pizza!!! Love it! I'm a huge fan of Potato chips and onion dip, had to stay away from it for 15 years, I think about 6 months after my VNS I ate a whole bag of chips with dip!!!