Autism, mercury and...Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Taximom5, Jan 3, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Lol :) you guys make me laugh. They don't hurt but then again you're talking to a 9 year migraneur so nothing hurts duh!

2. Funshine

Funshine New Member

Honestly, I don't know how they walk around with those things.

3. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Re: Autism, mercury and...Meniere\\\'s?

If you are a guy and you have had the Mumps, a little prick is the least of your problems.

I wish I had the vaccine. Who knows it could be another cause of MM and in rare cases it causes unilateral and bilateral sensorineural hearing loss.

4. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

never gone? you say they say, do they test the 80% of people often (or never)

5. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

regarding pap smears: speculums arn't autoclaved, when I mentioned that to a dr once e vagina isn't sterile. a non sequiter if I ever heard one

6. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Please do some research; I'm sick of doing real research on here for people who are too lazy to do it themselves. 8/10 women by the age of 50 will contract HPV. There are tests for HPV for WOMEN ONLY. Pap smears are one test and there are a few others. There is no way to detect whether a man has HPV; you cannot tell by looking at his penis, there is no test, so you can't tell.

7. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Seems like you guys are contradicting each other.

Vikinggal, Intrepid posted a source for the info she posted. Would you mind posting yours? And also, you might want to edit your reply to abigail--seems to me, that was unnecessarily harsh.

8. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Alright I'll put it this way; when you get a pap smear, they are testing for abnormal tissue growth. When there is abnormal tissue growth that is caused by HPV hence a pap is a test for HPV. But the ones that cause those abnormal cell changes are high risk HPV. And here's the proof that 80% of women by 50 will contract HPV. There is another test that I'm not going to list because it might offend some people but if you want to know what it is, send me a PM or google HPV tests. I'm also not going to edit my post, it's easy to Google things and it's very hard to follow someone who cannot even get their point across from their poor grammar. If people are curious, research.

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/hpv-genital-warts/human-papillomavirus-hpv-test

http://hpv.emedtv.com/hpv/when-can-a-person-contract-hpv.html

9. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Vikinggal, the webmd link you posted clearly states that the HPV test is a separate test from the PAP smear, done only on women with abnormal PAP results. Not all abnormal tissue growth is caused by HPV.

Also, the fact that emedtv says that 80% of women will have contracted HPV by the age of 50 doesn't constitute proof. I didn't see any studies supporting this assertion, especially since they say that genital infections can only be spread by skin-to-skin contact. They seem to be assuming that all women are sexually active outside of marriage.

10. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

The CDC states that 80% of women will develop HPV, I don't know how much more "legit" you can get without you saying once again that nope that's not true.

http://www.thehpvtest.com/about-hpv/hpv-faqs/?LanguageCheck=1#How-common-is-genital-HPV

HPV can be spread with condom use and most women yes are having sex outside of marriage. But I know a virgin that got HPV from her husband that was high risk HPV so yes unfortunantly, even virgins can get HPV. Only way to not get HPV is to not have sex.

11. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

No, the CDC states "It is estimated that at least 50% of sexually active men and women acquire genital HPV infection at some point in their lives. A recent estimate suggeststhat 80% of women will have acquired genital HPV infection by age 50."

http://www2a.cdc.gov/stdtraining/self-study/hpv/hpv1.asp

Those are estimates, not proof. The CDC's estimate of CURRENT infection rates: "An estimated 20 million people in the U.S. (15% of the population) currently have a detectable genital HPV infection."

If you are going to make nasty comments about "being sick and tired of doing real research for people here," please make sure what you post is accurate.

Most of us who are posting research here (without getting sick and tired of it) are doing so because we are trying to help others.

12. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

I never said 80% of the US right now has HPV did I, no I didn't. I'm sure the CDC's estimation is accurate. I am sick and tired of doing research and maybe you have so much time on your hands because oh let me guess you hate the world so much that you're going to sit here and do research all day because you don't have a real job, because if you did, you wouldn't have time to sit here and research the internet all day long. At least I know how to research, unlike some people on here. I know how to get information, I know how to correctly use it, what is legit or not legit and ovbiously you can't figure that one out becuase you site about.com and wikipedia.com. I doubt you want to help others; you just want people to hate life as much as you do by researching and being fearful and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of you putting fear into people that's wrong, really wrong. People come here because they're already scared to death and actually have REAL problems that are caused by a host of issues but they're not caused by diet defiencies in vitamin B12 which is incredibly RARE. B12 defiency period is rare. I have my issues under control and I'd be scared if I was new on here and did not because of all of your scare tactics.

13. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Whoa, this kind of rage does NOT sound like the vikinggal we all know and love! What's going on? Are you okay?

14. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Yeah I'm kind of sick of getting talked to like I know NOTHING, sorry it's annoying and rude!

15. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Nobody ever said that you did.
    Since it is only one estimate, even the CDC is not trying to paint it as accurate. It's presented as an estimate.
    I don't hate the world at all. I'm quite happy.

I don't do research all day long. But I have a good 10 years of research under my belt. I'm also married to a research scientist.

I have a full-time job, one that I worked very hard to get, and I'm very blessed to have it.
    You are free to have your doubts, and express them as you see fit. But don't complain about being treated like a child if you behave like one.

You're right; people come here because they are scared. But they also come here to share what they have learned, in order to help others.

B12 deficiency is NOT incredibly rare: http://www.progressivehealth.com/b12-thyroid.asp "In 2001 Tufts University came out with a study found that as many as 40% of men and women have low levels of B-12, based on the B-12 blood levels of 3,ooo adults. The subjects were healthy and ate diets that had three times the recommended daily intake of vitamin B-12."

http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/fulltext/2007/09000/subclinical_neurological_abnormalities_in_children.17.aspx"Several neurological problems, including epilepsy, migraine, peripheral neuropathy, cerebellar ataxia, myopathy, dementia, and learning difficulties have been increasingly reported in adult patients with Celiac Disease, in rates of 10% to 30%"

Nearly 1% of adults are being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. And according to a 10/2008 Finnish study quoted by Celiac.com, rates in the elderly are 2 1/2 times greater. "A team of Finnish researchers announced that they have found high rates of undetected celiac disease in elderly populations. They have also noted that a significant number of those older people diagnosed with celiac disease showed only minor symptoms. The study team was made up of doctors A. Vilppula, P. Collin, M. Maki, R. Valve, M. Luostarinen, I. Krekel¨a, H. Patrikainen, K. Kaukinen, and L. Luostarinen."

I'm glad you have your MM/MAV issues under control.
    But you do all of us--yourself included--a grave disservice by accusing me of scare tactics.

16. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Re: Autism, mercury and...Meniere\'s?

People may want to use caution when taking B12 supplements.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/335998-vitamin-b12-sublingual-2-500-mcg-side-effects/

Digestive Irritation
    Vitamin B12 supplements can cause the digestive tract to become irritated and upset. This can result in nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, Drugs.com explains. Although vomiting and diarrhea can cause significant discomfort and dehydration, the symptoms caused by vitamin B12 are rarely severe enough to cause any serious medical problems.

Leg Blood Clots
    Vitamin B12 supplements can also cause blood clots to form in the legs, EMedTV notes. When blood clots form in the legs, they can cause pain and swelling as blood accumulates in the leg due to the blood clot. In addition to these symptoms, blood clots which form in the veins of the legs can be extremely dangerous because they can break off and lodge in other blood vessels. If the blood clot gets to the lungs, it can cause a pulmonary embolism, which can be life-threatening.

Neurological Dysfunction
    Vitamin B12 supplementation can also interfere with the way the nervous system works. In minor cases, this can cause headache, dizziness and weakness, Drugs.com notes. The nerve dysfunction may also include peripheral nerve problems, which can cause parts of the body to be numb or tingle.

Allergic Reaction
    Some people are allergic to sublingual vitamin B12 supplements. If you have a mild allergic reaction, you will develop an itchy rash or hives on parts of your body. More serious allergic reactions can cause swelling of the tongue, lips, face and extremities. The most severe type of allergic reaction is called anaphylaxis, and is dangerous because it causes the throat to swell, which can prevent breathing and swallowing. Anaphylaxis can also result in hoarseness and a feeling of tightness in the chest

17. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Thank you, MrMan. Good to know.

People who suspect B12 deficiency should also confirm this with blood work before starting supplements.

18. Ladysmokeater

Ladysmokeater Peace be with you my friend

I take B-12 at the suggestion of my doc from years ago. Uh that is my doc suggested years ago I take it... LOL
    Anyhow, I can tell a difference when I dont. I feel better and have more enegery. He said as a general rule, and this again is a general rule, what your body doesnt need with B-12 you "tinkle out". Yup, you pee it right out. Sometimes, if I havent taken the B-12 for a while or if my stress level is REALLY high (like now) I dont see the extra yellow urine that follows a couple hours after the B-12. My doctor said a reasonably healthy person with no kindney or major issues that would interfere with the normal processing of things would likely see just that. Again that was years ago he told me this. I take a B-12 supplement, and I feel better than if I didnt.
    You CAN OD on anything, and some folks can OD on far less than another. Plus you can have sensitivities that make things worse for you. I cant take a run-of-the-mill plain jane multivitiman. I get sick. Have since I was a kid when mom tired us on them. I get a horriffic cold (maybe the flu) with fever aches and the whole nine yards. Winter or summer it doesnt matter. I asked my doc about it and he said maybe I was sensitive to something in them to try other brands. So I did. Same game. I tried a prenatal vit and whalah! It was okay. I dont know what the difference is, but there is one. I dont get sick in three to five days and I have been taking these (with a trial of other multis once in a while with the bad results for them) for almost 11 years. just the over the counter prenatal vitamins. weird huh?

19. Jordan

Jordan New Member

One of the first things my husband's doctor tested him for after he displayed symptoms of Meniere's was B-12 deficiency.

My husband was within the range of normal but on the low side (there is some disagreement on what a normal reading for B-12 is) and thus took supplements for a while but did not notice any improvement in his symptoms. Eventually he found relief through antivirals.

I do think it is wise to check for vitamin/mineral deficiencies of all kinds when experiencing any health problems. You just never know what the cause might be and it might be something you could solve fairly easily.