Baked Lays

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by angels29, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. angels29

angels29 New Member

Hi! Has anyone tried these products? From the label they look like they are alot healthier and low in sodium and everything. I only snack basically on weekends so this caught my eye as I really hate to have to give up chips totally so this is a better alternative I hope. Wondered how good they are. Thanks!

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

We bought some a couple weeks ago. They tasted different from fried and they were good. What a surprise. I think they are worth a try.

3. burd

burd New Member

For great potato chips with no sodium added, try Kettle Chips, unsalted.
    I doubted they could be good, with no salt added at all, and I was so surprised.
    I have tried baked Lays, and they are a good snack, but will not satisfy real potato chip craving because they don't taste like regular potato chips.

4. jagmi

jagmi New Member

I've had the baked Lays and they are good but when I want something to go along with a meal that dosn't add sodium, I have been getting the No salt added Jays.

5. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i just ate some in the wee hours of the morning - they are exceptionally well - had to compromise my mission during the am - was set on finding chocolate but couldn't - ie...in walks my affair with Lays potato chips but please don't tell chocolate I was stepping out ;D

6. Leon

Leon New Member

We had some a month or so ago and they weemed to be OK.
    Leon

7. KareBare

KareBare New Member

We like to unsalted Kettle Chips. Whole family likes them and now my in-laws are addicted to them as well. Do the Baked Lays have unsalted. I saw the regular Baked in the store but they sodium was higher than I expected. Or maybe my memory is not working, quite possible.

Another fav. is unsalted pretzels, though they still have some sodium in them. Something like 75mg for 20 or so mini-pretzels.

KareBare

8. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

They also have baked doritos and baked cheetos that are pretty good. And if you get the 100 Calorie pack it's only 110mg of sodium. Also, Organic lightly saled kettle chips are good. There really are alot of good options out there if you just look and eat it in moderation. I have really begun to enjoy eating again. It's alot of work to shop but it's worth every minute when you get to eat the things you like and keep your health up.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

You can find delicious salt-free veggie and potato chips in health food stores. They're usually cooked in olive oil.

10. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Titus, Are you speaking of Terra Chips? I love the sweet potato ones and the sodium count is way low......lots of those Terra ones are. BTW: One of the Low Salt websites is offering a Terra Hickory BBQ one that is new. I wrote to Terra Chips to see where I could buy them here (NYC) and they said 'just look around' as they are a 'new launch' but I've not seen them yet.

I used to eat the Baked Lays (before MM Dx and low salt sometimes) and a friend pointed out the ingredient list on the back which had so many fakey things and chemicals that I was put off of them......The Glenny's 'Lightly salted Soy chips' are O.K. but do not really address the 'potato chip' craving. I will look for those kettle ones next.-Yvonne

11. mundo1988

mundo1988 Dancing is a way of Life

I'm surprised my 11 yr old daughter who has loved Salt & Vinegar and Ketchup chips actually liked my No Salt Kettle Chips. Go figure.

12. KareBare

KareBare New Member

My family likes them better as well. Daughter still wants sour cream and onion chips from time to time, but for the most part all we buy is no salt kettle chips now.

My in-laws had a party several weeks back and had the no salt kettle and everyone there was eating them, thought most were able to eat anything. Go figure. Wish food manufacturers would realize that less salt is sometimes better.

KareBare

13. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

I havent tried the baked lays but I have tried the Ruffles - light...they have no fat and I'm not so sure about the sodium but they are good.

Maggie

14. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

ZAPPS AND CHARLES CHIPS MAKE "NO SALT" POTATO CHIPS. I LIKE CHARLES CHIPS BEST. I BUY THEM AT KROGERS AND THEY ARE GOOD WITH A SANDWICH. I DON'T EAT LUNCHMEAT BECAUSE IT IS TOOO HIGH IN SODIUM, SO I COOK MY OWN BEEF, ETC. SO I CAN MAKE A SALT FREE SANDWICH. I USE MRS DASH TABLE BLEND AND LOTS OF GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL TO COOK WITH. TONIGHT WE ARE HAVING CATFISH FILLETS. I BRUSH THEM WITH OLIVE OIL....SPRINKLE THEM WITH MRS DASH...ADD LOTS OF BLACK PEPPER, THEN ROLL THEM IN CORN MEAL. THEY ARE DELICIOUS...SERVED WITH A COLE SLAW THAT I MAKE USING APPLE CIDAR VINEGAR...OLIVE OIL AND SOME SUGAR. MY FAMILY LOVES MY NEW COOKING STYLE AND HAVEN'T MISSED THE SALT AT ALL. GOD BLESS, TWINKLE

15. samuel81

samuel81 I miss Caffeine......

They are the best thing in the world when you are fed up with carrot sticks!

16. jrw

jrw New Member

I got the mixed bag of sweet potato & white potato chips. Those sweet potato chips are addictive! Is there a brand that just sells those in a bag? Haven't seen any in our stores up north here.

17. KareBare

KareBare New Member

I believe Terra has only sweet potato, I have bought them in the past, stopped because I would eat them way to fast, you're right they are addictive. I got them at Whole Foods, sometimes our local Super Target will carry them to.

18. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

I just tried the lightly salted Kettle Chips......I thought they were great as a serving came in at 150mg of sodium and it is half a bag. The Terra Chips mostly all fall within our range too.

19. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Terra brand no-salt Hickory Barbecue Potato Chips - the best!!!

20. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

I USE THIS FACT AS A GUIDE TO A LOW SODIUM DIET. ANYTIME, THE MFG TAKES OUT FAT, THEY ADD SALT FOR TASTE!!! CANNED SOUPS, LUNCHMEAT, CHEESE AND CHIPS ARE THE HIGHEST SODIUM PRODUCTS I HAVE FOUND. I DID FIND SOME TORTILLIA CHIPS THAT HAVE NO ADDED SALT. I BUY THEM AND A LOW SODIUM SALSA (HOMEMADE) AND IT TAKES CARE OF THE CHIP CRAVING. EL MILAGRO MEXICAN KITCHEN STYLE, ALL NATURAL CHIPS AND I FIND THEM AT KROGERS. HOPE THIS HELPS. "TWINKLE"