Bilateral Meniere's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Andrea1962, Sep 30, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

I have a question that I have not seen addressed. I seem to have become pretty stable the past few days but I was wondering.

With Bilateral Meniere's- can you be affected on one side and flip flop to the other?

The reason I am asking is that for a while I had symptoms onone side, then the other, but not simultaneously.

I would love to hear about other's experiences with this.

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Good question! About the only thing that I can use to compare different ear activities is my tinnitus and ear fullness. Dizziness and vertigo, at least for me, never pointed to any particular ear. It just happened.

Most of the time (75% ?) both my ears acted up at the same time, a tandem performance. However, my right ear was usually worse. But my worst overall attacks occurred when my left ear was worse than my right.

I remain puzzled by this. Does it say that my triggers affected both ears equally? I guess so.

Joe

3. nwspin

nwspin New Member

4. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Andrea: I was dx'd in 1980, I've been bi-lateral since 1995. The only time I could tell it went to the bilateral ear was in 2002-2003, it was very pronounced and I could feel where the vertigo was coming from. But, since 2003, I know the vertigo is coming from the original dx'd ear.

5. woozee

woozee New Member

During Friday night's spin, I was spinning counterclockwise
    but trying to get to the bathroom I was falling to my right. Does anyone have any idea what that means concerning which ear? I am bilateral.

6. jrw

jrw New Member

The vestibular rehab person had told me that we tend to spin or turn in the direction of the more damaged ear. So when I was attempting to walk a straight line with my eyes closed, I would always veer to the right, the ear where the balance damage was worse.
    Ear fullness changes, sometimes one ear, sometimes the other, sometimes both. Just because we have 2 ears and they're both connected to our head does not mean they behave alike. :) It's like 2 separate creatures with the same weaknesses but not quite the same reactions.

7. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

I am bilateral and when the attacks happened never could identify just which ear it was as they were both going nutzo-putzo. The tinnitus in the left ear has always been louder than the right ear but deafness was more apparent in the right ear early in my life. When I started losing more of my hearing, it was the left ear that lost it faster.

Both ears are noisy 24/7 and feel full 24/7. I feel like my head is inside a bucket most of the time, or enveloped in something that makes me feel like there is a barrier between me and the rest of the world.

My hearing aid is in the right ear (which had formerly been my deafest ear.) I think that we all are so different that there isn't one single determining factor that can be used to validate any thing.

So, for me, both ears were giving me fits. I could keep my eyes open and focus on anything like some are able to do. If I so much as peeked - it would sent off another vomiting or gagging and dry heaves attack. :eek: :eek: