Buffalo Mead

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by aggie, Sep 28, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. aggie

aggie New Member

Shining, I noticed you said you use buffalo meat? Is it good? I've seen it in some stores and have wondered but haven't tried it. Does it taste at all like beef?

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Hello Aggie. It is a somewhat drier meat than beef and I think the taste is a bit more mild, maybe less sweet. I like beef better but that might be because I have eaten it for so many years. If you have not eaten it go ahead and try some. I would like to taste some beefalo, but have never seen any for sale. Should someone serve me some buffalo burgers I would not be disappointed. Buffalo, it's what's for dinner. ;)

3. pardonme

pardonme Guest

4. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

here we are back on bison again ;)

5. aggie

aggie New Member

Is the buffalo on the market raised for the market and not wild? I think one can't slaughter a wild buffalo. I guess there are buffalo farmers just like cattle farmers? Most of the wild meat I've tasted I didn't much like. I know some folks do, my husband included, but I'm not one of them. but I do plan to try buffalo.

6. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

Buffalo meat tastes VERY different from beef to me. A bit gamier. It has no cholesterol compared to beef. My friend has a bison farm. She raises them to eat, but you can't do it the same as cattle. Buffalo are huge and wild and PROUD. She has a local band of Native Americans who come over and bless the herd. Every buff killed has a prayer said at her farm (mostly males, the cows are kept for breeding)
    Yummy! Never tried elk steak, but can't imagine it as being better than yak! I will have to try it. My problem is that the wild meats are so scarce no one has any recipes any more.

7. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I was wondering how you make mead with buffalo.

8. aggie

aggie New Member

Sorry Thornapple, I meant Meat. I had not even noticed. Again sorry for the typo. Please forgive the mistake. Thanks guys for your input on mead or meat, I'm planning to buy some when I get back to store that sells buffalo meat. It's about 60 miles away.

9. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

try it and let us knwo what you think. No need to apologize about a spelling error. I do it all the time since I've had this stupid disease. Thornapple was being silly. She does that a lot and we love her for it. :) Drive safely and be well.

10. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Yes, aggie, I think she was just poking fun. I must admit, I was wondering how you would get honey from a buffalo hive :)

11. burd

burd New Member

I like buffalo meat.

Your typo made me giggle though...buffalo mead... 'cuz I thought, "can you do that?!"
    Doesn't sound too palatable just thinking about it. :p :D ;)