Butternut Squash

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by joy, Sep 16, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. joy

joy New Member

I just looked up "Varieties of Squash" & determined what I brought home from church (for free!) is/are Butternut Squash.

Anybody got a simple recipe for this critter? Could you make soup with them? They're sure hard to peel & the slippery coating underneath the peeling will stay on your hands like "liquid skin"!

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Wow....I love butternut squash, but that hard shell intimidates me!!! I get the already-peeled-and-cubed or frozen stuff at the store.

Do you have a chain saw? :eek: :D

3. Huck

Huck New Member

We make our squad real easy. Cut it in half, the long way. Clean out the inards (seeds etc). Take out a cookie sheet and put the squash meat side down. Put the pan in the oven and fill the pan with water and bake at 350'. Depending on the squash it will take 45 min to 90 min. When the meat is soft its done. Add brown sugar and butter and serve. We usually make a few when we do it. What isnt used for the meal gets put in ziploc freezer bags and frozen enough to take out for another meal. We have squash all year!

4. joy

joy New Member

I assume that's more like a jelly roll pan & we're only talking about maybe a 1/4" of water? Or should I use a cake pan to have an inch or so of water?

Thanks!

And I swear a chain saw would have been safer! I kept imagining my thumb getting sliced off every time I got closer to the end of the chunk.

5. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I put those hard squashes into one of those white plastic grocery bags (ghost bags) and hurl them violently at a hard floor or sidewalk. Then I take the pieces out and scrape out the seeds.

The resulting shattered chunks of squash I put into a large covered pyrex bowl with half a cup of water, and I nuke them for about 12-18 minutes until they are steamed/cooked. then I cool them, and spoon out the squash and do something with it.

My sister whips the cooked squash and mixes it with nutmeg, a little sugar and butter and some eggs, and makes a squash souffle. a friend of mine runs it through a food processor and then mixes it up with cream in some home-made chicken soup stock.

6. rj

rj New Member

I cut the squash in half, lengthwise, place it on a microwave platter meat side down with a little water (maybe 1/4 inch). Cook as you would a baked potato (maybe 9-10 minutes), take out of the microwave when meat is tender, let cool. Scoop out the meat and put in mixing bowl. Add butter, brown sugar, nutmeg to taste and pepper. Whip with electric beaters until light and fluffy....MMMMMMMM wonderfully light and great tasting. You can freeze leftovers, and also bake in the oven to meld flavors after whipped.