Calling all writers - help!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by HeadNoise, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Sherry do you want us to pm you with these stories or whatever we write?

2. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Whatever is easiest for you. If it is something pretty long, PM me and I can give you my email address. That might work better.

3. VickiS

VickiS New Member

I'm a journalist with MAV and would like to help.

4. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

great - great - keep the ideas and words rolling

5. Joe the Bee

Joe the Bee New Member

Ok, consider me with you on this project, then, if it doesn't matter where I live.
    Because if can spare even one person the incorrect diagnosis of MM being "Laziness" and "Hysteria" and receiving the advise to find "treatment" in a mental asylum, it's worth it.
    Love, Joe

6. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

This is great guys - and you don't have to ask my permission to participate - just jump in. If you want more guidellines or suggestions on how you might put your submission together, you can PM me, but otherwise ANYBODY who has something to share is welcome to do so. Be aware though, that there will be some editing and organizing your infor so that the book has some continuity and flow to it, a purpose, and an overall theme of education and resources for others.

Reminder: Please send all information with your name and permission to use. If you site any sources other than your own thoughts, please give the source - no plagerizing. We don't want to get in trouble, but we can get the source's permssion to quote them if you give us the source.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

Sherry,

I think it would be a good idea to outline the manuscript as a first step. Then assign sections of chapters.

Once chapters are titled, those with personal experiences could write first-person stories that would be featured throughout the book in the appropriate chapters.

Step #1 in doing a manuscript outline is brainstorming. You (and others) have been doing that already. Come up with as many topics as you can thing of. Don't try to reason why or why not. Just brainstorm.

Step #2 Make a list of the topics, then categorize them....matching similar topics together to include in a given chapter

Step #3 Now eliminate topics that don't fit or are included within other topics

Step #4 See how many categories you now have....is it a viable manuscript or are things missing?

If it looks complete, assign sections of chapters.

I visualize sections of chapters being assigned. For example, there might be a chapter on the Emotional Challenge of Vestibular Disorders. I might write a section on depression; it's symptoms; dx; treatments and how it affects a chronic health problem. Paul might write a section on anxiety and how to manage anxiety that would be part of that same chapter. One person may end up writing several sections in different chapters (according to their expertise, personal experience, or interest).

How does that sound?

8. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Sherry,

You might want to have people who have some experience with a particular section review/edit it. An example I also have BPPV, I could probably catch errors in Bergie's write up on BPPV easier than someone with no experience with BPPV could.

It would be even better if we could find a medical professional to also do a review of the explaintion part of the chapter.

Tracy

9. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Kim & Tracy, we are all on the same page! Yea!!!! Great minds think alike, eh? :D

Are you getting ready to PM me with your address as Board Members?

10. Titus

Titus New Member

Sherry, Why don't you start a separate thread for the brainstorming of chapters/sections. Just let it flow for a week and see what happens. No explanations....just names of chapters and sections/sub-sections. You might even want to start it with the chapters/sections/subsections you have in mind.

11. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I create award-winning educational brochures. Just put me on your list of resources.....right now my resources are on medical leave. Heh.

12. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

THornie, you were the person I was trying to remember (poor brain!). Whoopee! I'm so excited! ;D

13. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Oh, good. Even if I can't get my sorry @$$ off this bed with these fine, purring cats, I can still design brochures that work, or help other people do it if they can follow directions (brochures by committee are a very bad thing--especially government committees).

14. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Way cool! And maybe those brochures could include some color photographs taken by somebody else here??????? :D :D