Cookbook for Meniere's Resources, Inc

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Aladdin-Fae, Oct 28, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

I am attempting again to organize and compile a cookbook for Meniere's Resources, Inc.

I would love help. I also need recipes!

Blessings

T

2. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

No salt

take one large sweet potatoe and dice it up (skin off)

take six red skin potatoes and dice them up (skin on)

two large onions and dice them puppies up

in a very big mixing bowl put everything in with 1/4 cup of olive oil and some nature seosoning and paprika and mix reel good

now, on a none non-stick aluminum foul, spread it all out flat on top of a cookie pan

bake at four hundred for 45 minutes

Enjoy with a fish dish

by dolfan

3. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

No Salt

Rice pudding recipe passed down from generation to generation!
    I always double it!

1 cup water
    Pich of salt (or not)
    1/2 tablespoon melted butter
    1/2 cup Arborio rice
    2 cups of whole milk
    4 tablespoons of sugar (I always add extra)
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (I always add extra)
    A few dashes of Cinnamon ( I always add a lot extra)
    Whipped cream for topping if wanted

Bring water, salt and butter to a boil.
    Add rice and return to a boil.
    Reduce heat to the lowest setting
    Stir occasionally and cook until rice has absorbed the water, but is still el dente. About 15 minutes.

Bring milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon to a simmer in a separate saucepan.
    Add the cooked rice, and cook at a simmer over medium-low heat until rice absorbs most of the milk and mixture starts to get thick and silky. (about 10 to 15 minutes)
    Keep stirring so mixture doesn't stick to the bottom.

Transfer to container and let cool to room temperature.
    Place in refrigerator until cool and set.
    Sprinkle cinnamon on top and serve with whipped cream if desired.

ENJOY,

Gina

4. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Low Salt

Lemon Pound Cake

What you will need:

16 TBSP (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus 1 TBSP, softened, for greasing pan
    1 ½ cups cake flour, plus 1 TBSP for dusting pan
    1 tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp salt
    1 ¼ cups sugar
    2 TBSP grated zest plus 2 tsp juice from 2 medium lemons
    4 large eggs
    1 ½ tsp vanilla extract

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with 1 TBSP butter and dust with 1 TBSP cake flour, tapping out excess. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In glass measuring cup or microwave safe bowl, microwave butter, covered with plastic wrap, at full power until melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk butter thoroughly to reincorporate any separated milk solids.

In food processor, process sugar and zest until combined, about 5 1-second pulses. Add lemon juice, eggs and vanilla. Process until combined, about 5 seconds. With machine running, add melted butter through feed tube in steady stream (this should take about 20 seconds). Transfer mixture to large bowl. Sift flour mixture into egg mixture in 3 steps, whisking gently after each addition and just until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue baking until deep golden brown and skewer in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking time. Cool in pan 10 minutes then turn onto wire rack and prick with a toothpick or bamboo skewer on top and on all sides. Brush on Lemon Glaze. Cool to room temperature, at least 1 hour. (Cooled cake can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 5 days).

Lemon Glaze

½ cup sugar
    ¼ cup juice from 1 or 2 lemons

Bring sugar and lemon juice to a boil in small nonreactive saucepan stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened slightly about 2 minutes. Brush cake on top and all sides with glaze.

lulu

5. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Low Salt

I make this fairly often because it’s very easy and it freezes well. I usually make it without the chicken and just sauté the vegetables in the butter and continue with the rest of the recipe after that. It’s really tasty! Enjoy!

What you'll need:

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cut into strips

1 clove garlic - minced (I love garlic so I usually use 2 or 3 cloves and run them through a garlic press)

¼ cup unsalted butter – divided

1 yellow squash – julienned

1 zucchini – julienned

½ cup each green pepper and sweet red pepper – julienned

1 small or medium white onion – thinly sliced

2 TBSP. all-purpose flour

½ tsp. Kosher salt

¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper

¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth

½ cup half and half

8 oz. angel hair pasta – cooked and drained

2 TBSP. shredded or grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the chicken and garlic in 2 TBSP. butter for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Add vegetables and cook until crisp tender. Set aside. In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Add the flour, salt and pepper and stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add the broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the half and half and heat through. Pour over the chicken and vegetables and stir until well mixed. Place pasta in a greased 2 quart baking dish. Pour chicken mixture over top. Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.

Yield : 4 to 6 servings

lulu

6. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Low Salt

Ingredients

Squash Pasta

2 yellow squash as large as possible
    2 Chicken Breasts (1 if you eat smaller portions and want to share)
    Low Salt Tomato Sauce (18 ounce or larger) or make your favorite kind to avoid salt
    Garlic 1 clove
    Mushrooms 2-3 buttons
    Onions 1/3 of a small

How to do it.

Peel skin off squash using potato peeler
    Use a mandolin slicer if you have one and cut the squash long ways into 2-3 millimeter thick strips (think lasagna noodles)
    Use a regular knife if you don't own a mandolin this will take a little longer.
    Dice Mushrooms, onions and garlic

Lightly season chicken (garlic powder, Italian seasoning and black pepper) on both sides
    Season your pan with nonstick spray and put chicken over medium heat until center reaches at least 165°F
    Fill medium sized sauce pan 1/2 full with water and start to boil
    Put sauce mushrooms, onions and garlic in a small sauce pot over low heat stirring occasionally season to taste
    When water gets to a boil add the cut pieces of squash and cook for 1-2 minutes drain immediately and submerge in cold water to stop the cooking process (use the sauce to make the squash warm again)

When the chicken is completed move to a plate and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes.
    Put down squash on a plate and cover with sauce
    Put chicken on top of sauce/squash pile (you can add cheese if you would like)

Enjoy.
    Sean

7. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Low Salt

Becky’s Family Summer Picnic Salad

3 heads broccoli , blanched and use florets only
    2 heads cauliflower, use florets only
    1 bunch green onions
    4 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
    1 can small black olives, drained
    16 oz Italian Dressing (or less to taste)

Entire recipe contains 480mg sodium – (depending on brands of olives and dressing). I use Wishbone brand – 320mg sodium per 16 oz
    Feeds 16-20 people

Blanch broccoli heads in boiling water. just long enough to green the heads. Cut florets into bit size pieces. Wash cauliflower and cut florets off into bit size pieces.
    Add washed tomatoes to broccoli and cauliflower. Dice up the green onions, I use a lot of the tops too for flavor and color. Drain black olives and add. Mix well and add dressing about ¼ bottle at a time and mix until desired amount. I use about ¾ a bottle for this recipe, Refrigerate until serving.

Can serve right away or let marinade. Good either way. Also holds up well without refrigeration at gatherings.

For a variation I add cooked spaghetti noodles.

8. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Low Salt
    (amberini)

Spaghetti Squash:

Cut one Spaghetti Squash in half length wise, scoop out all seeds and discard.

Drizzle olive oil over both halves, season as you wish.

Bake in 350 degree oven for ~ 45 minutes. Squash will be soft.

Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes. Then take a fork and "shred" the squash length wise to form "noodles". The shell will remain hard, throw this part away.

From this you can make many dishes.

Shrimp scampi. Stir squash noodles into melted butter and chopped garlic.
    Spaghetti and meat sauce
    Any Italian dish that uses pasta
    Veggie marinara
    Base for Beef Stroganoff
    Base for Stir fry

9. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Low Salt

Faux Twice Baked Potato

1(*approx. 2 LB) head of Cauliflower

1/2 cup sour cream
    4oz. cream cheese
    1/4 cup minced green onions
    1/2 stick soft butter
    2 fresh mushrooms, diced
    salt, pepper to taste
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    6 slices of crisp cooked bacon, crumbled - save grease

Topping:
    shredded cheddar cheese
    saved 2 slices of cook/crumbled bacon for topping

Boil Cauliflower until tender ( 20minutes)
    Drain well

Fry bacon until crisp and then crumble it. Save grease.

In large bowl ** I use my KitchenAid Mixer**, combine cooked cauliflower, cream cheese, 1/2 of the butter, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1/4 cup of minced green onions and 2 fresh mushrooms diced, bacon grease and bacon bits. Mash all together.
    * for more flavor I saute mushrooms and onion in bacon grease, then add to mixture.

Put into a greased 8X8 casserole. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and remaining crumbled bacon. Scatter small pieces of butter on top. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

amberini

10. June-

June- New Member

When I was trying to do a low sodium diet, I wanted to make my own recipes, but not consume as much sodium. I think it would be good to have a chapter about that. Maybe include some equivalencies, like a teaspoon of salt = 2500 mg sodium and a teaspoon of baking soda = 900 mg or whatever it is. (Please check me on these numbers, I haven't done lo so for several years.) Also tips such as using your own dried beans rather than canned beans to reduce the sodium to nil and save some money in the process. How to have a low sodium diet and still have a piece of regular bacon now and then by counting the mg's and journaling them and evening out the sodium through the day - have that bacon in the morning not at night when the sodium restriction is a real challenge. Stuff like that for beginners.

Or am I missing the whole point? Is this a low sodium cookbook for people with Menieres, or is it a 'regular' cookbook to raise money for Menieres Info?

11. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

It is for people with Meniere's and other inner ear disorders. I think I am trying to focus on low sodium and no sodium and other special diets that seem to help some with MM/inner ear.

The idea on beans is excellent. I need all of the advice I can get. Thanks!

for beginners is an excellent idea too. thank you again

note:
    joe trader (spices)

12. June-

June- New Member

In addition to a couple of pages containing the sodium content of common ingredients, you could have a few blank lined pages for the cooks notes on sodium content of her own dishes or ingredients. I like the idea of giving the sodium content of each recipe.

13. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

I like the idea of cook's notes. I will have to figure out sodium content. This is where I will face difficulties.

14. tm53

tm53 New Member

I think you are going to have to add a caveat that is going to be mfg/supplier specific. Purdue chicken breast are +/- 65 mg per 4 oz. Tyson, at least twice that with the "natural juices". Same goes for pork.

15. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

sigh - how do I find this information out?

16. tm53

tm53 New Member

For the most part, and not always, nutrigional contents are on the packaging label.

The lo-so folks will probably be more than happy if you reference them.

17. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

okay so reference how much salt in lo salt recipes by looking at the package of meat?

18. tm53

tm53 New Member

Perhaps just write a "your mileage may vary" introduction section in the book.

It would help folks learn to read the labels and understand how things can vary from one mfg to the other?

19. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Good idea.

The problem is - I have not seen this book in my head yet. Meaning when I was in university/college, I was one of those students who waited until the last moment sometimes. Not because I was lazy or stalled but because I had not seen my thesis or project yet in my head. Once it gets to my head and I visualize 'it' - I am ready to rock and roll. But now I am just waltzing around this cookbook. lol

20. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

And the most important ingredient is Love!