cooking with MAV

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by thornapple, Oct 1, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Well! Now that they have me on the MAV diet, it requires a whole new way of shopping, cooking and eating. What a royal pain. I mean, everything I was eating I now can't eat, and already my diet was restricted because potato, tomato, and bell pepper make me ill, so I had cut all of those out.

So now I am trying to figure out things I can fix or eat that make sense.

So far: mushroom omlette. Fish, meats. cottage cheese and apples. applesauce. corn chips.

I need to write a MAV cookbook. With really good meals on it.

But right now I can't invent any.....finishing that other book.

And I'm so hungry....any MAV cooks out there got any good recipes?

2. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

I know you can find cook books for the diet, I've been meaning to get one but keep forgetting. Guess I'm not sick of eating like a bird yet :D You can get all sorts of free recipes on the net, but it seems none for migraine.

3. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Yeah, all the migraine recipes have potatoes and tomatoes in them! Or cajun spices, or peppers, or something else I can't eat. It's frustrating.

I am eating a ginger cookie. But it's the last one, waaaaaaaah!

4. abra

abra New Member

What is the MAV diet? What are you restricted from eating?

I'm having similar troubles with food allergy diets.

5. thornapple

thornapple New Member

the MAV diet (migraine trigger avoidance diet) restricts all kinds of things that are known triggers for migraine for lots of people generally (not necessarily for me, but oh well).

you can't eat lunch meat, cheese other than cottage or american, yogurt, raisins or other dried fruits, ham, bacon, fresh bread (day old is ok but no more nummy bakeries), booze, wine, beer, sausages, nutrasweet, caffeine, decaf anything, so no tea or coffee, no excedrin, no chocolate, no bananas, no citrus, no nuts or peanuts, yadda yadda yadda. So no peanut butter any more...

I am rather good at allergy diets, having been on one for a million years. What are you allergic to? Let me help you.

6. sbtier

sbtier New Member

Hi Thornapple,

The MAV diet I did started with all the foods you mentioned restricted, then you add them back one at a time (like one every other day), to see if it causes symptoms. At the end, I found none of the traditional trigger foods did anything to me other than MSG and caffeine. Do you know what the rationale is for restricting so many foods if they don't even know if they are triggers? It seems strange because you'll never find out what the triggers are by avoiding everything.

7. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Yeah, I actually found a book that explains it really well.

This is the book. It's a huge help (unlike the doc I saw). http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Headache-Program-Taking/dp/0761125663

What they have found is that there are a zillion triggers for migraine, but that the "trigger" for the actual migraine event is like a bucket that fills up with triggers. If you get too many triggers poured into your bucket, it overflows and you get a migraine. Which is why sometimes something will give you a migraine and another day it won't.

The triggers they list are the ones that people have said are triggers. The list is pretty consistent, even though they aren't all triggers for all people. And the triggers do not always give you a migraine, which makes it confusing. You can't think of it as an elimination diet, as for food allergies, because it does not work that way. it is the cumulative effects of all the triggers working together that does it.

I have triggers that always give me migraine headaches, like tomatoes do for me. I have others that don't always do it, like Guiness Stout (which I love). Guiness only gives me one about once every tenth time I drink it.

So if you avoid the triggers for the most part (foods and common triggers such as, scent, bright sunlight, smoke, stress, toxic people, and whatever else sets you off) then you can indulge in sins now and then, like Guiness Stout.

I do not often get migraine headaches since I gave up tomatoes. But I have now been diagnosed with vestibular migraine, which as far as I am concerned is a good guess, only I have gotten worse on the diet and medication. At the moment I am having severe symptoms, so I am avoiding every trigger but stress, which is going to take me down any day now, I swear. I still think most of my symptoms are due to the tumor they found in my cochlea. It makes more sense. But I am trying voodoo now. Really boring voodoo; the migraine diet.

8. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Ok, I am going to keep a list each day of good things I found I can eat on this farging diet.

Oatmeal with flax seed and milk.
    Eggs.
    Toast and jam.
    Regular english muffins (don't know what you brits call them...heh)
    Stir fried sweet potato with mushrooms and zuccini.
    Olive oil.
    Tazo "Calm" tea.
    Apples.
    Grapes.
    Grape juice.
    Honey Bunches of Oats cereal.
    Dutch mints.
    Candied ginger.
    Graham crackers.
    Rye crisp.

9. thornapple

thornapple New Member

carmel corn.
    grilled cheese sandwich.
    sprite.
    cantelope.
    cat hair.
    dog hair.
    it's great for roughage.

10. thornapple

thornapple New Member

pumpkin seeds.

flax seed, but make sure it doesn't have tousie merds in it.

11. charisse

Thornie,

Oh goodie, we can have cat and dog hair, got lots of that around here :D your too funny :D

12. thornapple

thornapple New Member

HEALTHY CHOICE SORBET BARS!!!! only the raspberry ones, though.

oatmeal (the flax seeds have mouse turds in them---*shudder*)
    two scrambled eggs

leftover broiled salmon
    corn
    canteloup
    too many fritos
    grapes

Chicken tits with rosemary and dill.
    Barley with butter and bay leaves.
    Milk.
    too lazy to make a veggie but had lots of them earlier.

splurged on some mead (honey wine). hey, it was white....the diet said white wine in moderation now and then was ok. I needed to be moderated.

13. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Tonic water. Wouldn't it be nice with some gin.
    Sprite.
    Insipid teas.

14. Titus

Titus New Member

SCREW the migraine, allergy, lo-so, gluten free and every other friggin diet I've been on during these past four years of HELL

Today I had a triple turtle sunday with EXTRA NUTS right after my cheesburger and loaded baked potato.

Yes I did. And I got a good rush from it......followed by a headache and dizziness.

Oh well......tomorrow's another day.

15. Titus

Titus New Member

I'm looking at the clock and it's four hours after I stuffed myself. And I'm hungry again. This Remeron is evil.

16. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Yeah, prednisone is evil, too. I keep looking in the mirror to see if I look like a baby moon hubcap yet. My @$$ is disappearing because I sit on it all the time.

They put me on lexapro. Now I feel like tee martoonis.

Actually I am working up to a binge. I am going to go down to a local pubbery and drink a BLACKBERRY, a combo of raspberry lambec and Guinness Stout. Yum, yum, yum. Served up with a plateful of ham, sausages, aged cheese, fresh sourdough bread and dried fruits---the whole mess is completely forbidden. It'll probably kill me. But I am half dead anyway.

17. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Canned "lite" apricot halves.

18. thornapple

thornapple New Member

When food is boring, one tends to not eat too much of it. That is the only thing I can think of that recommends this diet.

Today, I would like a chocolate malt, a large vanilla latte, two excedrin, a pesto pizza, deep fried chicken livers with okra, crepes with marmalade, vanilla yogurt, a payday bar, vanilla sour cream cheesecake, a peanut butter and honey sandwich on fresh whole wheat bread, a chicken cherry salad with gorganzola cheese and cherry dressing, an avocado with lemon juice and salt, a marguerita, some raisins, and a biiiiiiiiiiiig glass of Bailey's, straight.

Instead I had a can of corn, a glass of milk, oatmeal with milk, corn chips, an english muffin, applesauce, an apple, and chopped clams with parsley on pasta with no garlic or parmesan cheese. Whoopie whippy dippy woo. Feeds the body but not the soul.

19. charisse

Thornie,

I'm sick as a dog and I knew if I came to one of your posts, I'd be laughing :D bless your sweet wonderful heart :-*

20. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Well, you know, they have me on verapamil, and it makes you constipated as heck----and then they take prunes off your menu. What's up with that?

Tonight we had leathery pork steaks, the last of the green beans from the garden, some beet greens (NOT a hit), and grapes and apples. This is getting monotonous. My @$$ should be shrinking on this boring food, but it is only getting flat. Huge, flat @$$. Grrr.