cooking with MAV

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by thornapple, Oct 1, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. thornapple

thornapple New Member

New recipe, eating it RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

Drizzle some olive oil in a deep frying pan, and saute little half dollars of sweet potato in there until they are nibble tender--sometimes a lid hurrys up the process, and I usually turn them once (make sure they don't burn). then throw in with them and saute some sliced mushrooms (baby bellas are good) and chopped fresh garlic until cooked , stirring continuously. add a few broken walnut or pecan meats if you like, or some raw sesame seeds (NOT RANCID>>>keep these in the fridge or they go bad).

Finally, throw in handfuls of fresh organic baby spinach leaves and saute until they go limp and wilted.

Then eat. THIS IS REALLY GOOD, YOU GUYS. And it took me five minutes to fix. And it's PRETTY.

2. burd

burd New Member

Thornie, that sounds delicious. I've been afraid to try nuts of any kind being that it is a common offender for migraine. Have you been able to dodge that bullet or is it a matter of knowing where your threshhold is at when you indulge?

3. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Nuts don't seem to get me. Right now what seems to be getting me is the robitussin I am taking for the cold/asthma/flu that I am recovering from. I think it is throwing me into rebound, so I stop taking it and then drown....so I start taking it again and get migraine....etc.

Some of those common offenders are not triggers for me. Instant triggers: pototoes. tomatoes. bell peppers. I eat walnuts almost every day; a few chopped up in my oatmeal or salad are really, really good. I eat almonds a lot, too. Don't get me started on macademias...

today I am earing weird. I had a raisin english muffin with a scrambled egg on it and a cup of decaf green tea, and then....some canteloupe, and a bowl of homemade soup, and a Jamocha Shake, and some popcorn....it's mostly because I am so sick, and I just don't have the energy to do anything.

I wish I could stop drowning in this foaming goo and I wish I could go off prednisone. I wish my ears would stop screaming. I wish I wasn't so tired.

4. kim

kim New Member

I also follow the MAV diet. The problem with adding things back is that I have not been releived of the symptoms. My diet most days is perfect. I am too rigid, anything to stop the mm, mav and AIED. I have tried 2 preventive medications for the mav and became very sick from both of them. Still recovering from the Topamax. It tour my stomach up. Had an upper endoscopy yesterday. They need to do additional testing on my gallbadder and liver. Good news, I'm losing weight which I wanted to anyway. If you like salmon, I do it with ginger and garlic and a touch of white wine and it's good. Maybe we can write that cook book together, or at least exhange recipies. Guess what I'm having for lunch--left over salmon.

5. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Well, I have posted nothing on here since last year. So much has happened.

There is a Deekie cat on my ankles. I am eating corn chips. I have poison ivy on my wrists. I have lost hope, which is something one should never lose. I survived a life-threatening illness, which makes living with MAV seem like a blessing.

While recovering, I ate cream of wheat, tapioca pudding, oatmeal, and not much else. I lost 25 pounds because I was so ill. I lost my hope, and my joy of life. But my Brazilians are coming to visit soon, and maybe that will make things start to feel better.

6. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Ok, let's talk about what my cats are eating. That's interesting.

The oldest cat, the Queen of the Universe, Tisher (originally named Tasha, but it evolved), is 19. At 18 she developed food allergies and refused to eat the DISGUSTINGLY expensive (and unpalatable, I might add) food that you can ONLY obtain from the vet. I mean she would eat nothing. She turned into skin and bones. Cats are stubborn creatures and old cats are the worst. So I started feeding her cocktail shrimp just to keep her alive. I mean, she had to eat SOMETHING!

Eventually I figured out she was allergic to corn, which is in almost every commercial cat food. I have finally, after a couple of years of cat hell, found a couple of nutritious feline foods she is NOT allergic to that she thinks are scrumptious, one in particular which has made her much healthier in just the last few weeks. One food is called "solid gold katzenflokken">>>who in the WORLD named this weird stuff? And it is in the form of little X-es which leaves a bowl full of crumbs that only Indigo will eat. The one that really turned the Queen around is called...wait for it....EVO, The Ancestral Diet. It costs about $19.00 a bag!!!! But it has made her into a 19 year old kitten again, and it's worth it. I have to lock it up away from the other cats, though...I am not going to feed them all the expensive stuff and they keep breaking into it like thieves!

It is making the Queen so healthy I am tempted to eat it myself, but it has potato in it. I am allergic to my cat's food.

7. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I want to eat fudge. I want Murdick's fudge from Traverse City. I will order this fudge and have it delivered. Then I will eat it with the Brazilians. And I will make my daughter a sour cream cheesecake (family tradition, from scratch) for her birthday on the 4th of July.

8. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Thornapple: This is the second post I've read that you are discussing Murdick's fudge.... :) Yum! But, my question is...Did you order it yet? ;) Just looking out for your well being! Fudge, must have fudge!

9. amberini

amberini New Member

Am I to take it you might be feeling somewhat better or is it the anticipation of the Brazilian Invasion? Of course, it could be both, I like that option even better.
    How about if I just order you to feel better, would that work?

10. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Ok, that works for me. I do feel better. My guts are aching a bit as of about 6 p.m. but it was a fine day and I felt good. Now I feel tired. Hangin' out with the orange kitty, who is eating shrimp.

11. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I ordered the fudge and the Brazilians are here.

12. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Life is good..... :-* :-* :-*

13. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I made a huge batch of tapioca pudding, my "fall back" comfort food for colitis flareups, and the Brazilians tasted it today by experimental spoonfuls, then sat down and ate most of it. That was very satisfying. I love feeding people I love the stuff they love to eat.

I should change this to "cooking with MAV and colitis". If I eat the wrong thing, it's all over....I bloat up. And I keep getting very tired. Today I am very tired. I look ok, but I am sleepy as hell. I ate a ham sandwich with cheese and apple slices. It was great. But I am looking like a preggo lady. On Friday, I ate a salad for the first time since April. BLOAT CITY, then later, everything came racing through me.

You know, I feel like I am on my own. These gastroinstinal guys and my own doc have NO CLUE what to do for me. I am just experimenting with foods and find out the hard way that I ought not to eat it. I can eat fresh cherries, and bananas, and strawberries, but it seems fresh apples are not good. And beef is a very bad idea. Chicken is ok.

The adventure of eating.

14. thornapple

thornapple New Member

It's heeeeeeeeere......

http://www.murdicksfudge.com/

15. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Thornapple: What kind of fudge did you order? :)

16. thornapple

thornapple New Member

MAPLE WALNUT! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

17. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Ok, the fudge has got to go to the party at the brazilians....otherwise it will go straight to my @$$.

18. thornapple

thornapple New Member

It's on my @$$. I guess fudge is an acquired taste. They didn't eat it. For me, it has always been a drooling, wicked indulgence.

Tonight I cooked Welsh Rarebit (or Rabbit, if you like).

1-1 1/2 cups of loosely grated cheddar cheese (I never measure, I just guess--so it was handfulls)
    5 T olive oil (a blop)
    2 T flour (a palmfull)
    1 cup of vanilla stout (yes, nice black beer! half a bottle after I drank four swallows)
    1/4 tsp dry mustard (I measured this one)
    1 egg

Hot toast cut into bite-size chunks

Grate the cheese.
    Mix the olive oil and the flour and stir over medium heat with a wire wisk until the mixture bubbles.
    Pour in the beer. Cook over medium heat until it is hot enough to melt the cheese,
    Drop the cheese in by handfuls and stir until melted.
    Stir in the dry mustard.
    Beat in the egg and keep beating until the mixture is smooth.

Serve over the toast.

Yum. One seems to be enough, with lots left over for lunch.

19. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Tonight, it's gummy cherries. Did you guys know that Haagen Dazs makes GINGER ICE CREAM?

Well, I ate it.

20. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Thornapple...yes, I saw the winner on the Food Network Channel...she created the recipe. :)