Daily Bread

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Rhemajoy, Mar 20, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

I understand that the issues is not just about eating low salt but that the intake needs to be spread out evenly and not say 100mg in one meal and 1500 in another. I'm trying to figure out how that works. So, could some of you post what a typical day of meals looks like for you? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

Oh, and can you include what you drink as well? meaning, what you drink and how much?

3. amberini

amberini New Member

spread your sodium out over the course of the day. Yes, liquids have sodium and count towards total day intake, IF you are sodium sensitive. Sodium has a variety of names, too.

Best way to avoid, avoid cans, read labels for true sodium levels, don't rely on the proclamation "low sodium", check the back to verify.

Avoid food in boxes but if you must then read labels.

Fresh is best.

Cooking from scratch is the best way to really know what you are consuming. For instance, I make all my own stocks for soups. I make my own yogurt.

Finally, we need a certain amount of sodium to keep our electrolytes balanced.

Use FitDay to keep track of your food consumption and it will also keep track of your sodium intake.
    I found my intake was about 1300 per day. Sodium levels don't seem to have any affect for me but we are all different.

4. June-

June- New Member

I kept a log of sodium just like I might for calories if I were on a diet.

What it boiled down to for me was I ate one packaged thing a meal and the rest was food cooked from scratch. Don't forget if you make soup, you have to read the labels on the tomatoes, vegetables and broth so homemade doesn't mean no sodium unless you make everything.

That log you keep daily will put you in good order. I liked the even part because I could have a piece of bacon for breakfast sometimes.

Things with hidden salt - milk, bread, biscuits etc, ALL canned goods unless they are labeled no sodium (read the Nutrition Info label), almost everything that comes in a box frozen or not.

It's a really healthy way to eat in general cooking from scratch.