Dexamethasone

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by debin, Apr 8, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. debin

debin New Member

Going to maybe try this route. Over the last year my symptoms have flailed with a lot of dizziness and days of just crap. How many people have had success with this injection? Looking for relief!

2. debin

debin New Member

I meant flailed...spell check

3. debin

debin New Member

Stupid spell check....lol flaired

4. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Dex injections helped me, but unfortunately, it only lasted for about a month. We're all different, though. Some people get relief for many months, even a year.

5. RedBird11

RedBird11 New Member

I have read a bit about the Dex injections but never could find a clear answer, does anyone know if it helps with ear fullness or is it mainly for vertigo?

6. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy New Member

I had my first one about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately it didn't help me, and the first week things actually got worse :( I have some other unrelated health issues suddenly going on though, and they are definitely kicking my Menieres up several notches (first vertigo attacks in 2+ years). So it's hard to tell if the shot is the cause or this other stuff I have going on.

7. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

They help with all symptoms because the steroid reduces inflammation in the inner ear. The doctor really has to know what he or she is doing, though, because the stuff has to specifically go into the round window to the inner ear. Otherwise, it goes down the eustacian tube.
    This is why Dr. Silverstein invented the Micro Wick. It aims the stuff directly into the round window, and you administer the steroid yourself, with drops. People should ask their docs about the Micro Wick.
    Bless all,
    Ron

8. debin

debin New Member

Great to know Ron! I will ask! Thank you!!

9. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Most ENT's know about the Micro Wick. It's painless, like the little grommet they put in kids' eardrums when they have ear infections. It stays in for, I guess, a week or so.

My doc doesn't use it, and I think I would have better results if he did. There was one occasion when he was having trouble aiming the needle, and another one when I swallowed a little bit, and the steroid gave me stomach trouble. The Micro Wick solves all that.

Best of luck!

10. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I had three dex injections. None of which helped for very long. My symptoms don't include vertigo, so yeah, they help with the fullness and hearing loss. As has already been stated, everyone is different. I did not find mine particularly painful and was pretty much able to go back to normal activities right away. Hope this helps.

11. RedBird11

RedBird11 New Member

Thanks for the info, Ron! And shartsoe thanks for sharing your experience as well. I have been starting to consider trying the injection because I can't take other medications right now. I have heard that the injection is safe during pregnancy because it goes directly to the ear and not through the rest of the body.

12. BumbleBea

BumbleBea New Member

I had them. I felt better each time. I went every two weeks and then every week for awhile. I heard that the Dr can put tubes in your ear and you can do the drops yourself if it helps you. It helps some people and others it doesn't.

13. debin

debin New Member

Made my appt for the 24th will keep you posted!

14. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Best wishes.
    The treatments aren't that bad. I hope you can get the Micro Wick. If not, you'll get straight injections. The shots themselves don't hurt because the doc will put numbing drops in your ear. When the steroid goes into the middle ear, you get a brief burning sensation, but it only lasts a few seconds. You may have very brief vertigo, but again, it's only a few seconds.
    You will have to lie still for about 15 minutes afterwards to let the stuff sink in. You cannot swallow because that will make the steroid go down the eustacian tube How the hell do you spell this?).

Then you can get up and check out, no problem.

I sure hope this helps you. It works well for some people.

Ron

15. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

The worst part for me was trying not to swallow for 20 minutes! The pain was bearable.