Did you know...

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Tara, Oct 22, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Tara

Tara New Member

...that there are people, who may not fall in with any particular religious group, that come to the religious and spiritual section for comfort, but end up feeling worse after they've read some of the threads? I don't call myself a Christian, but I believe in God, and I have been trying really hard to find a path that works for me. I'm on a quest of sorts, to get to know Him better.

So, from time to time I come here, to see if there's something I can learn, or contribute, but mostly what I find is hateful, mean spirited arguments. How does it help me if I'm too afraid to post because I fear someone will call me down for my beliefs, or lack therof? How am I supposed to grow if I can't express my opinions? I'm really struggling here. What do I do? I want to have conversation, give and take. I don't want to be preached to, or told my opinion is wrong if it differs from someone else's. I'm just trying to find my way here, but whenever I read some of these posts, my heart gets ripped out.

I'm sorry if this makes no sense, but I'm really upset right now.

2. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I apologize for my part in all of this Tara and would welcome you to find growth wherever you can get it.

3. Tara

Tara New Member

I know, hey? I don't want to turn this into a blame thing, or a sympathy thing either. I'm just stating how I personally feel.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

I just wish everyone would get along. I just for the life of me do not understand why everyone has to argue wether someone is a believer or not to me it doesnt matter. We are all on a journey in this life I have love and well wishes for everyone here. Tara your post breaks my heart..I wish I could fix it so everyone would get along.

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Very good point you make Tara. I just recently dropped in to the Spiritual Corner to check it out after ignoring this section of the board for several years.

What I have learned so far is why so many wars have been fought and people have died needlessly all in the name of Religion.

Larry

6. June-

June- New Member

Some people can discuss things the way you describe and some cannot. I think it is a personality thing.

7. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

It goes on on every single website I visit Larry with people from all walks of life involved in it, that is why I have seen so many sites ban religious or political conversations or threads(and we have 1/2 of that enforced here so far).

8. highway

highway New Member

sad that you feel that way but you have lots of company Tara. Hope today is joyous.

9. karenlr

karenlr New Member

I'm so sorry Tara, hopefully things will settle down and peace will come again.

10. June-

June- New Member

Tara, I had a thread called I Wonder as I Wander which had the same thing in mind. Everyone who posted on it was respectful of its intentions.
    Please feel free to use it if you would like.

11. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

I would love to partake in some of the discussions that go on here but I am so saddened by the name calling and overall tone of some of the threads that I just tend to read the postings and keep my thoughts and feelings to myself. It is hard enough for me to stomach just reading the way some people speak to one another. Especially considering this is a Religion and Spiritual Corner. But if someone started bashing me for what I believe in and feel, I think I would be crushed and disheartened to ever want to post again.

12. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

I too believe it or not felt uneasy posting my views until I realized I don't have to fight about it just bc I'm not agreed with. If you look at the end of one of the threads that's been going on you can pretty much pick out who the 'fighters' were. I believe we've come to an understanding now. We are who we are, we believe what we believe and it's cool. Look at the end of that long thread it turned into ESP, and Studio with a camera in his room.... we've come to a fork in the road, instead of splitting I believe we all took the same path as far as understanding each others position.
    Feel free Tara to post If someone starts to argue just ignore, however I don't think that will happen anymore.

13. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

Just grin and bear it..... isn't worth worrying about Tara. Live your life to the fullest without the turmoil. Post what you want and don't worry about the trolls. This section of the forum is about support regardless of beliefs.

14. rev

rev New Member

Tara - to me this is a part of the support forum, and a very special part. It should be a place of healing, hope, and many things shared by so many members of this forum. My desire is for it to be a sanctuary where we can come with hurts and joys, hopes and disappointments, discouragements and encouragements - you see where I'm going. I would like for anyone with a spiritual need to make a post and find folks to help. That can take many forms, but they should all have something to do with our faith. That is why the Corner is different than the Porch and other areas.

15. June-

June- New Member

I wonder if the mistake we make is trying to reform the people whose behavior we don't approve of rather than just ignoring them.

16. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

I haven't been around for quite a while.

I'm not sure what has been said by others here that you might have found upsetting.

I am a Christian. I don't like using that term because there are many people who give themselves the label of Christian but they are not really practicing or they are hold specifically to one Christian denominations teachings. I am a "Saved Believer" or what Jesus termed as "Born Again". I hold only hold to what can be found in the Bible. I would use the Words of the Bible to share with others if they want to hear them and understand them.

The Bible speaks readily of God as our comforter.

For example:-

Psalm 119 verse 76 May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.

Isaiah 57 verse 18 I have seen his ways, but I will heal him; I will guide him and restore comfort to him,

As Christians or Believers we find our comfort in the Word of God and His promises to us as His children.

I can only offer you this comfort. Maybe you might like to get yourself a Bible and read it for yourself. I would suggest start with the Gospels. Here you will read of the many ways Jesus brings comfort and healing to those who came to Him when he dwelt amongst us here on Earth.

I'm sorry that you may have been distressed or upset by what may have been shared with you. I hope you may find some comfort in God's Word. Feel free to contact me if you want to ask anything about what I have shared here.

17. Titus

Titus New Member

Tara, I think Bill spelled out exactly Ray's intent in creating this room. I've always considered it to be a safe place for spiritual support.....no matter what religion or belief system is involved. I come here for prayer, encouragement, advice from like-minded spiritual people. I try to offer the same when I am able. There is room for all.

I don't think it's a place for religious debate. I don't believe that was Ray's intention. There are plenty of forums on the Internet for religious/spiritual debate. Support involves encouragement. It includes. It doesn't judge. It isn't mean spirited.

At one time there WAS a "Debate Den" for religion and politics. Ray closed it down because of all the negativity. At that time he made a rule "no politics" and opened this room for spiritual SUPPORT. Tolerance is encouraged.

Everyone should feel welcome here if everyone follows Ray's rules. I'm sorry for you and for everyone who wants this room to be a room of peace and harmony.

I've had to take breaks because it was breaking my heart to see the fighting going on, especially in this room.

18. Tara

Tara New Member

That's basically what's getting me, Kim. I've been to church, and read the bible, but it just seems so hurtful the way people here talk to each other. We're all different, and approach things from different perspectives. People should just get over it.

19. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Peoples beliefs are sometimes so strongly ingrained, it's difficult to read what differs from our own. I would love to come here and have my spirit brought up by the beautiful words people pour from their heart. I believe we can do it. I also take blame for my share of heated discussions.

I see a turn around happening though. People like yourself and others who just want some religious or spiritual relief or guidance. If we keep it cool and not let our fires be fanned by the words, we can make this a happy place to come. Sometimes there's just no way of getting the anger out about how this monster has changed our lives. So, it comes out in the one place it shouldn't - here.

I'm glad you spoke your peace, it brings cooling rivers to our lake of hate.

20. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

Much hugs and love to you my friend....I hear what you're saying.....