Did you suffer from ear infections as a child?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by redwing1951, Mar 23, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

When I was younger I had horrible ear infections. Because this was during the time dinosaurs still roamed the earth, my doctor would come to my house, sit by the side of my bed, comfort me and treat the infection. I can remember having him irrigate my inner ear after a boil burst. I also suffered with impetigo/herpes in the corners of my mouth. As an adult I have had shingles. I no doubt carry the herpes virus.

I am very curious as to how many on this board had issues as a child and have been diagnosed with meniere's? I ask because my grandson, 8 years old, has a terrible time with impetigo. He has not suffered from ear infections. I worry about him. His mom took him to the doctor and they gave him anti-virals for when he feels an outbreak is starting. I know this does not mean that he will develop meniere's but is does worry me.

2. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I had sore throats all the time, I got sick frequently, so they removed my tonsils and adenoids when I was about 10,
    I don't remember my exact age but I was young.
    I don't recall having ear infections,
    I also got tons of cold sores on my lips as a child.

3. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

well maybe not tons(poor choice of words) ..I got cold sores frequently

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Sore throats but maybe one or two ear infections (says my mother). No serious childhood illnesses. No auto immune conditions as a child or adult. No history of Meniere's or MAV in my family (although a few women were prone to migraines without auras or other bells and whistles).

Everyone in my family has lived long lives without major diseases. I am the anomaly! Not even my siblings get frequent headaches. No allergies either.

Keep in mind that ear infections are very, very common and not everyone who suffers from them ends up with MM. I wouldn't worry about your little one. Impetigo is so common at that age.

5. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Red,

I worry about my own kids as well whenever they get sick even though they are not my biological kids, they are aged 6 and 8.

I also had a pediatrician once tell me that kids getting these sorts of things only strengthens their immune system, but as someone with mm i am also on high alert with this stuff and kids.

Have a great vacation and enjoy those little guys at the beach. They are memories that will stay with them forever.

6. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

as someone who nears the end of raising children (my youngest son turns 18 in June), I look back and remember worrying about them when they got sick. I should have worried about something else, but I let my parental way dominate my common sense. It will be better I'm sure with my future grandchildren.

7. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

oh....I had everything when I was a kid. If I wasn't sick, I was injured. Do you want details???? :D

8. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

???I did not mean to click that

9. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

10. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

11. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

I never had a single ear infection, earache or ear problem of any kind until I got MM.

Wishing the best for your grandson, Redwing. I hope the impetigo is something he'll eventually outgrow.

12. MDH

MDH New Member

None at all. No ear problems what so ever.

But I've never thought that my Menieres issues had a viral origin. I lost a significant amount of low frequency hearing in my affected ear in my 20's. Then....25 years later, viola! Pressure, tinnitus, and vertigo in the same ear.

Looking back, the only thing I can correlate my hearing loss to was a typhoid vaccination. I had quite a reaction - uncontrolled fever for 10 days (often over 103). Seems my hearing deteriorated shortly after. I only mention this because I've been reading this forum for a couple years now and have yet to find anyone with even a remotely similar history (not the vaccination part, I mean hearing loss and 25 year until onset of other symptoms).

Michel

13. Juz

Juz New Member

I had 2 notable ear infections between the ages of about 12 and 14. Real doozies, with a huge amount of vertigo and vomiting. I also had about a year of what I considered at the time to be very painful headaches at the age of 12, that I would get 2 or 3 times a week. It was poor down to"growing pains" if I recall correctly. Hmmm.

I rarely get headaches these days, so I am wary of attributing my Meniere's to having a migraine brain as such. I've read Heal Your Headache, but it just doesn't se3m to fit. I dunno, I could be wrong.

I occassionally wonder if the ear infections were linked, and my 2 year old son has had his share of external ear infections, but I'm not concerned about him developing Meniere's later in life. No one in my family had ever heard of Meniere's until I was "diagnosed" (really inappropriate to even call it that).

So I don't believe that my kids are genetically predisposed to Meniere's and me being concerned about it now would not make any positive difference anyway.

As a fellow parent, I would say enjoy your grandson... Kids are such a source of joy and inspiration. Soak it all in!

14. nicmger

nicmger New Member

I had major ongoing ear infections throughout childhood. Had tubes in both ears etc...

15. Sobekins647

Sobekins647 New Member

I don't remember having ear aches all the time (assuming those are infections.) I do remember that I had one bad one and my mom waited too long to take me to the doctor and I ruptured my ear drum. Pretty sure it's the same ear that now has Menieres (cochlear hydrops).

I too have the herpes virus, so I wonder which caused the Menieres in the left ear. Maybe it's a combination of previous damage and the herpes virus? I just hope it doesn't become a bilateral issue for me.

16. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

I believe everyone fears going bilateral. My OTO said about 30% do. He also told me that I would never have to live a life of silence. If I do start in with vertigo and drops again I would most likely do another laby if my hearing bottomed out. I won't live with vertigo/drops again. I will select implants. So we do have options therefore I refuse to live in fear of what might or might not be.

17. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Bingo^^^^^ well said, my thoughts as well.

18. Sobekins647

Sobekins647 New Member

Yup well said. I always try to remind myself that most of the things I worry about have not happened yet and the odds of them happening are usually slim to none. So I'll cross that road when I get there. :)

I didn't realize implants were an option. I figured once things went south they went south for good. I had already come to grips with being 100% deaf would not be the end of the world for me. And that I would manage if it came to that.

19. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Sobekins647 here is a link that I think you will find very helpful. Dr. Rauch (is my OTO) has put together a group of videos regarding vestibular disorders and treatments. Very interesting.

http://www.meei.harvard.edu/patient/rauch.php

20. Sobekins647

Sobekins647 New Member

Thanks Redwing. I'll check it out for sure.