Discovering Body Logic study group

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by oaktree8, Jan 1, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

To clarify:

This a thread to study and discuss the principles in the book Discovering Body Logic, by our very own forum member mnme (Lee).

Everyone is welcome to join in (whether or not you have the book). If you want to order the book you can go to Lee's website:
    http://www.discoveringbodylogic.com/order.htm

There is also a copy donated by Lee for forum members to circulate; please contact Linda1002, who is in charge of distribution.

We'll be discussing a chapter a week----see you there!

2. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Re: DBL study group

Aren't we starting in January?

3. ariapace

ariapace New Member

that was the plan as far as i know. kim (titus) was going to moderate the thread. maybe she's recovering from the holidays. i'll send her a pm.

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Hi oaktree....I was looking forward to this also. At one point, someone talked about leading this but now isn't sure if she will be able to. I'm not sure how it would work on a forum such as this (I very new to this type of communicating) Some had mentioned, this might work better on Lee's site. Hank was willing to answer questions re Lee's methods.

It may be too early after the holidays and people who were interested haven't had a chance to think about this yet :-\

5. livestrong

livestrong New Member

im interested in it too, let me know when you all start...

6. ariapace

ariapace New Member

it can work fine here. there have been chapter-by-chapter book discussions before. lee's site isn't structured for this kind of thing.

7. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

I pm'ed Kim Titus also--I hope she hasn't changed her mind about leading the study group. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one eager to get started!

8. Julie

Julie New Member

Just to update....the last message I received from Kim, Dec 30....she said she needed a few days to think about it...(I completely understand, as it is quite a commitment). Her last post sounded like she may be away visiting family. That could be why we haven't heard back yet and it is still early in the year.

I received my book and skimmed the chapter titles and I just started trigger therapy b4 Christmas....I'm going to read the first chapter and highlite anything I may have a question about....I'm looking forward to it!

9. Titus

Titus New Member

Hi Everyone,

After much consideration, I've decided that I cannot lead the DBL discussion group. Part of what I learned in the book is knowing when to say no. That is one of the thing I "discovered". I take on too much and that affects my health.

So, in the spirit of DBL, I'm listening to my body tell me to cut way back on computer time and work. It will be very hard because I'm a Department Chair and teach 8 online classes. Hopefully, I'll be going back to teaching faculty status by this time next year. I've also stopped publishing and taking on extra writing work. So, I guess you can say I'm a recovering workaholic :D

I wish everyone on the DBL journey the best. If you have a regular thread I may drop in from time to time because I just love everyone here and want to read about your success and findings.

God bless you all.

Kim Titus

10. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Kim,

Sorry to hear that you won't be leading the group. I think you would have been the perfect facilitator with a great demeanour. You're right though, you need to say enough is enough. Sounds like you are quite the workaholic - good for you for turning over a new leaf!

Having now read the book I would imagine that we need only someone to keep us on track - the concepts are all very straight-forward, even obvious so I can't imagine a 'teacher' is really required...just someone to keep us plugging along. I've been ok at taking care of trigger points for sometime now but never have I devoted myself to giving it 100% over a longer period of time. I think that could make all the difference.

Amethyst

11. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I've had a lovely Christmas break with plenty of time to reflect on the controversy I inadvertently created through my book Discovering Body Logic. But now I can see it clearly: Do I leave because I upset a few or do I stay with the strong belief that I can help inspire others - even if it's ONE other? My driving purpose for the past 6 years here has always been to help that ONE person ... first myself, then another, then another...

I will do my utmost not to annoy those who aren't interested in these concepts. My focus will be solely on those who are. So, if these concepts annoy you then please just ignore this thread. All this is about is working out what we can do for our health and then getting busy doing something about it. That's all. It's not to get bogged down in theory/controversy, it's to read our own body's clues and start responding to them through diet, posture, stress release and of course logic. My message is how very much is possible by doing this.

Kim, you have just put your body first so GOOD FOR YOU!!! That can be a very hard thing to do, particularly for someone who is a workaholic by nature.

Amethyst, you put it perfectly. A 'teacher' isn't required as it's actually very straight forward. All that is needed is a place to share and ideally someone to keep reminding us all how much is possible. Oaktree has already established this place, and I am more than happy to act as a motivator. And feel free to say if there are parts of the book you don't agree with. For those who have already read it, you'll know that the 'unique' aspect is how it all fits together rather than the specifics. That's because it is about logic, and you can only see that with the full picture.

Although it's been hard, the past few months have demonstrated the type of resistance I have now faced for 6 years. It's surprised me all the way as I tried so hard to share a very simple message ... to respond to those things within our control through problem solving. But now at least it is all out in the open. That's the healthiest place for it to be.

From this point on, I will not get caught responding to people's criticisms. I can list them here for you if you like. People will say:
    * You are not a Doctor
    * You are here only to make money through selling your book
    * You are trying to suggest we are responsible for our own suffering
    * Doctors could not possibly miss something that helps so much ... and is free.
    * The book is rubbish ... before even reading it.
    Just go back through old posts to see these criticisms answered over and over again. The thing is, we can get bogged down forever talking about theory when the power is in the doing.

All I am here for now is to help anyone who wants a hand. The more excited you are to help yourself, the more excited I will become. That's what it's been like for years now with people through PM's. That's why Pardonme, Kass, Heather, Jscropper etc had so much success ... they were prepared to work at it.

All those who have expressed interest to me through Pm's, posts and emails, it's time to get started! All that is needed is a strong desire to start working WITH your body. To me, the best starting point is to re-read page 217 and then tackle STEP 1 on page 218. It's impossible to move beyond that point until you firmly believe the answer to the question is YES. For those people, I'm happy to answer any questions/share any ideas.

Here's to a wonderful new year!

Lee.

12. Mnme

Mnme Guest

By the way, if there are only 7 or so interested, perhaps we could communicate via PM using cc's (saves time to keep us all in together within a supportive envionment). Whatever you think will work best. Naturally this will also depend on numbers.

Lee.

13. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Lee, thank you so much for offering to lead this study group! This is great news, to have you to lead the group!

I'm happy to work with whatever forum people prefer, though I remember how much I learned from lurking, when I wasn't yet ready to post, so I think it'd be helpful to keep it public. I do understand the concerns about getting sidetracked by controversy, though--

I've got to go read page 217 now....

Thanks again Lee!

14. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Titus suggested we treat 1 chapter a week. There are 20 chapters in total, divided up into 6 sections.
    So for the first 4 weeks we will be looking at:

SECTION ONE: OPENING THE WAY TO SUCCESS
    1 My Story
    2. What's Been Missing All Along
    3. The Logic Behind Health Clues
    4. The Nature Of Suffering (followed by Diane's success story)

If you answered 'YES' to the question on page 218 (Step 1), then rather than just discuss this book, you will be ready to start applying the concepts. If you are still unsure or have not yet reached that point in the book, then these early weeks will likely be more contemplative in nature. Just go at your own pace.

As I wrote this book, I'm by no means the ideal person to 'study' with, but by default I guess I'll just have to do. I'll try not to get in the way of an open discussion (if you have read it, naturally feel free to say if you disagree with certain points ... otherwise it's not a 'study' group at all). All I will do is point out a few key points in each chapter and most importantly, encourage you to put the concepts into action.

Lee

15. Mnme

Mnme Guest

While I'm waiting to see if this sounds OK with everyone, I'll put up the quote that comes just before chapter 1 for discussion. It is by Albert Einstein:

"Intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind a servant. We have created a society that honours the servant and has forgotten the gift."

You may find it interesting that I originally wanted to name this book 'Forgotten Body Logic'. Do you agree that as a society we have largely 'forgotten' (or at least undervalued) the intuitive mind?

16. Re: DBL study group

17. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Love this quote and a definite YES to society forgetting or maybe not even tapping into the "intuitive mind". It's such a powerful gift we all hold and such a shame to not use. It has worked wonders for me throughout my lifetime.

18. Julie

Julie New Member

I love that a man wrote this.....a smart man too!! The word "undervalued" really stood out to me. As one who has suffered some severe consequences by not listening to my intuition, it is so refreshing and validating that Albert Einstein would call this a sacred gift!!! I love this!

19. Titus

Titus New Member

Hi Lee, welcome back, and glad to hear you had a nice break :)

IMHO, I would ask that you keep the discussion "public" because there will be MANY lurkers as well as newbies who might find help. I fully expect that I will gain much. I'm one of those multiple diagnoses people (fibromyalgia, clinical depression, MAV, herniated disks, dislocated TMJ, and Menieres). I also have an on again, off again dx of Lupus because the specific tests were borderline and I keep going into remission. But I do have some sort of autoimmune thing going on and I suspect it might be put to rest by a change in diet (how's that for controversial). The interesting thing is I've managed to make two neurologists consider that their dx might be wrong (Lupus and Menieres). Anyway, the first step in my journey will be to not take ownership in ANY disease. It is not mine (to keep). I will not embrace it; I will search for clues that will help me rid myself of it and all its symptoms.

I couldn't answer 100% yes to the question on page 218 because I believe that God stands with me in regard to my health. And I believe God wants me to be well. That said, I can say YES, I am the one who is ready, willing, and able to make the changes necessary to move from illness to wellness.

20. ariapace

ariapace New Member

ditto