Discovering Body Logic study group

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by oaktree8, Jan 1, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. ariapace

ariapace New Member

Re: DBL study group

in regard to newbies, or anyone really, i was thinking that it might be good to spell out the name of the book in the title of this thread, like:

DISCOVERING BODY LOGIC study group

and also modify the first post to say what this thread is: a thread to study and discuss the principles in the book, Discovering Body Logic, that anyone who wants to do that may join in (whether or not they have the book), that we're planning to discuss one chapter each week, etc. ... and where they can get the book.

oaktree, who started this thread, would be the one who could modify the subject and the first post.

just an idea, for clarity. this thread is likely to become really long.

2. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Re: DBL study group

Hi everyone

Last night I read the quote on page 218: "Do I truly accept that ultimately I stand alone with regard to my health....?" and I easily said yes, but today I see it's not yet so simple. I had an appointment with my ENT, and as usual he broke the news to me that because I'm bilateral I may lose all hearing and balance, and then I'll have OSCILLOPSIA. I use capitals because that's how he says it, with great emphasis, every time I see him. It's as though it's a new word he's learned and he's having fun saying it over and over. And what does he think, it's news to me?

Anyway, I always feel hopeless and sad after I leave the office, because even after all this time I realize I still have some hope that they're going to say "There's new research and now we have this magic pill that will cure you!" But of course they never say that, and as usual it becomes clear that I know more than they do about MM (thanks to you all here at .org).

So I do believe it, but perhaps not yet 100%. Maybe 96%. And I don't embrace it. There's still a part of me that wants someone else to fix it. At the same time, I feel more hopeful and empowered every time I use my own intuition.

For example, recently I went to see a new chiropractor and he prescribed an adrenal cell extract. I was unsure about taking it (I posted here for advice) but decided to go ahead. It seemed to me that it was making me dizzy, so I went back to him and talked to him about it. He said there was nothing in it that could make me dizzy, and he did muscle testing and said it was fine, so I started to take it again. I didn't trust my intuition. After a few days of dizziness I stopped taking it and the dizziness hasn't come back, which felt very validating--my intuition was right.

What I mean to say is that I can see this learning to trust myself is going to be a long process for me, and not a simple one.

3. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

HI Lee I am so happy that you have decided to come back and offer even more of your time and help. I say a huge yes to the question that I stand alone with regard to my health, as only I have direct access to my health clues. So well put. I realized a long time ago that I am the only one that can make things better. I have been at this a long long time and know that no doctor will ever cure me. I do accept that I need direction and encouragement to follow through with all concepts of your book. I plan on being a frequent visitor to your discussion group.

The past week has been extremely emotional for me. I lost my mother this morning after a long illness. I look forward to turning my energy towards positive thinking and improving my health for the sake of myself and my family. Happy New Year to everyone Carole

4. Mnme

Mnme Guest

So very sad to hear of your loss Carole.
    Thinking of you.

Lee.

5. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Some very interesting points raised. Thank you. To pick up on a few of these:

I agree that the 'gift' of the intuitive mind is 'sacred'. So I feel I am honouring that gift by using it. But naturally everyone will perceive this differently (as it should be).

I see intuition in a far broader sense than just 'gut feeling'. To me it is the astonishing intelligence that always responds just right (without conscious reasoning - or even despite it!). It tells us when we're hungry - does what's needed to heal a wound - creates a fever to fend off an invading virus - provides the sensation of pain to tell us when something is wrong etc... It reacts whether we ask it to or not. Understanding this is where I see the greatest potential for healing. It empowers us.

When you think about it, a Doctor can only make a diagnosis based on what our body is displaying/saying (pain, bloating, dizziness, hearing loss etc). So as I see it, it's our body that has the true wisdom - the rest is just interpretation. I know when I had a ridiculous number of symptoms, I would pick and choose the most intrusive ones to tell my doctor about. But that is a restriction right there. An added problem is that some symptoms have been there for so long they feel 'normal'!

Julie, I also found it very interesting that this quote came from Albert Einstein. I now wonder what happened in his life to 'discover' this. And is it being open to the intuitive mind (while blessed with a brilliant rational mind) that gave him that astonishing edge?

Lee

6. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Oaktree do you agree that we start Chapter 1 on Monday?

Although the first chapter is titled 'My Story', perhaps you will see some common links to your own.

7. ariapace

ariapace New Member

einstein realized from his own experience that all significant gains in scientific knowledge were intuitive in nature. they were sudden leaps when the mind, after having studied all the rational aspects of a problem, came to rest and suddenly, without any doing on the part of the scientist, the solution came all at once. then the scientist could work out all the details, all the rational aspects of the solution with his intellect, but the solution came all at once in one holistic package as it were. it's the mind somehow settling down into "universal" intelligence and the answer popping out from there.

it's like when we've lost something and can't find it no matter how much we try. then we give up and suddenly, at some point, without any trying, we remember where it is.

8. Rick

Rick New Member

...I think this is an excellant idea and please keep it public. Thanks Lee for spearheading the effort. Who knows, I may even sit in and eventually get on board. But I do believe as those who are lurking, start reading this post and find it helpfull to their situation, they will join in and validate what is being said. I can see that this wil have a snowball effect and will help many.
    Rick

9. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Great quote, great statement - this is where I'm at as well. (Just couldn't say it nearly as well ;))

10. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed online here. I think it's very important that we support each other. I remember a forum member on the old DBL thread made the comment: "I feel like I am invisible as no one answers my posts." The funny thing was, every time that person posted I would sit back and marvel at how wise their words were - and so without saying anything, I just thought they knew that. The reality was, they didn't. Please know that I appreciate and think deeply about every post, even though I - or anyone for that matter - may not directly respond.

For example, here are some of the things I felt, but [almost] didn't say:
    Oaktree - Thank you for starting this thread and then editing the title/first post in line with Ariapace's suggestions.
    Ariapace - Do you know that your post about Albert Einstein had me smiling for a good hour after I read it! I am now fascinated to read more about his life (not just his ideas).
    Julie - I found it interesting that you said you suffered some severe consequences by not listening to your intuition. Me too! :)
    Livestrong - Good on you for your interest. Hope to hear more from you.
    Titus - I know you wanted to run this discussion group, but you recognised that one of your problems is taking on too many tasks, so you said 'no'. That can be so hard to do. Well done for putting the DBL concepts into action.
    Amethyst - Good on you for finding a way to read the book, even though you had hurdles to cross. Great to see you here sharing your ideas/perhaps even your journey. I found you don't need 100% application ... just increasing awareness/action.
    Myesteriouswaz - I just loved your post! It was so full of insight. Funny that you wouldn't know it unless I mentioned it, but I have gone back to read it many times.
    Mya - I would love to hear more about how intuition has helped you. Hopefully I'll hear more over the coming months.
    Intrepid - Glad you have had time to reflect over the holidays (like I did) and are ready to aim for more. It feels good to be strong ... even if only we (ourselves) recognise it.
    Trinity - Your post really affected me as you wrote of following a positive path the day of your mother's death. I am sure I can learn a lot from you. Thank you for being here.
    Rick - Ah my old mate! Yep, I think it's best to keep it public as long as we can as I believe it's important that people have access to the full range of choice. I hope you do 'get on board'. The dietary aspects are so very important and you have so much to share.

And to all the 'lurkers' who are applying the logic in their lives: The most surprising feedback I receive is when someone drops me a line saying "I have been applying these ideas for months now and it has made all the difference!" There they were DOING the work even though at the time I never knew it.
    Good luck to all of you!

Please - if you post something and someone doesn't respond, just know your input is valued. Sometimes we never know just how much.

Lee.

11. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi everyone--

Lee, that sounds great--so we start with chapter 1 on Monday then!

Mysteriouswaz--thanks for the suggestion about muscle testing, I'll look into it.

I love reading this thread, in this incarnation and the earlier one--so many interesting issues raised to think about. This work gives me hope, so thanks to everyone.

12. pardonme

pardonme Guest

13. burd

burd New Member

I am so excited to see you back, Lee and pardonme. Your voices must be heard because we need options, we need choices, we need hope that something might help where other methods have failed and are continually failing, with no other options being promoted through conventional medicine that give us any real hope. Whether a person chooses conventional versus natural or alternative, being aware of their own bodes is so vital, I can't believe how many relinquish their care to the hands of strangers that have known them for only a few minutes. Responses to tests are only marginally helpful. How often the so-called answers or remedies offered through conventional medicine are in themselves dangerous, damaging, and risky. We need to be active with our own health, with our choices, with educating ourselves to all the possibilities.

I am excited by what I am learning with Lee's book and with the extra research that she has recommended. I, and my hubby, see hope with other serious health issues of ours that these methods will no doubt have an impact on, these health issues thought to be at a dead end with what little conventional medicine had to offer. If my vestibular issues improve also, then that will be a blessing also.

I will not be able to join the discussion regularly but will check into it with anticipation when I can. I don't feel like I have much more to offer with the thoughts expressed so far, as well said as they are. So for right now I thank you Lee, for opening my mind to new ideas and a refeshed awareness.

14. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Pardonme, I am so thrilled you are back!! Like Trinity (Carole), I would imagine the death of a family member was a powerful reminder of how important it is to live life to the fullest - for everyone! I miss your insights!! I am still thinking about your statement "When I leave it to my gut to tell me, I believe I’ve left it too long."
    Thinking of you Dye on this morning after the funeral.

Thanks Burd! Excitement means hope.

Hey Ariapace, from http://www.mtnmath.com/whatrh/node107.html:
    "Einstein is universally regarded as the greatest physicist of the 20th century. Yet for most of his adult life he was at odds with the majority of his colleagues about the nature of quantum mechanics. Einstein was an intuitive genius. He was of course intelligent, but by no means an intellectual genius. It is no accident that he was working in the patent office when he developed special relativity. He was not considered competitively qualified for a professorial appointment until he had revolutionized our understanding of time and space."

and

"Intuition is able to consider possibilities that intellect cannot deal with. Intuition is always ready to start over. Intellect is loathe to do so because without its existing conceptual framework it is lost. It has nothing to orient itself with. Intuition can play with ideas at a looser level. Intuition can leave the conceptual framework of classical particles that quantum mechanics is trapped in. Without knowing the details it can match patterns and see where connections are possible in a different framework. Of course this process is far more error prone than a more narrow intellectual approach, but for many problems it is the only possible approach."

That clarifies so much for me.

Lee.

15. Titus

Titus New Member

I visited my ex today because he's a massage therapist and psychology major. He was working on my trigger points and made a comment that really hit me. Until recently I believed the origin of my tight muscles/trigger points was poor posture and my not using my body properly. My ex suggested looking deeper into the reason for my poor posture and overuse injuries. For example, he said that my romboids were full of trigger points. They were causing the neck and head pain (up until now I didn't realize that it went that far down because I couldn't get to them properly). My ex, being a former physical trainer and massage therapist, knew exactly where to apply pressure.

Then the comment, "Kim, romboids this tight might indicate repressed anger". I just listened. As he got deeper and deeper into the romboid area I started to cry. It didn't hurt because by that time the trigger points had released but his comment rang true in my heart, somehow. So, my journey includes examining my past and present and coming to terms with what I call "deadly emotions". This can be painful but I expect it is an important part of my journey.

Now, I knew all this because I also studied psychology and I've spent thousands of dollars on counseling and training but I never explored it at the time I was getting trigger points worked on. Something just clicked.

16. byron

byron New Member

I have read Lee's book. There are some excellent insights, and I'm currently working many of them into my daily routine: I do my five exercises everyday(sometimes twice!), I am aware of my poor posture, I work my trigger points daily, and I have eliminated gluten from my diet.... I'm really trying to take control of my health, but it is so hard - I feel like a tweaker bustin' for a fix when I see pizza, nachos, beer, etc. Support is good. I am very interested in what is happening here.

Cheers,

Byron

17. kass

kass New Member

Kim, this is a subject Lee and I have often discussed and I really look forward to when we sequentially get to cover the trigger-point section of DBL, as I too experience the same level of emotional release after a good professional T/P massage session - except my emotional baggage is released in very vivid dreams for at least a week or during the rippling out of the muscle tension, which appear to hold the little pods, manifesting themselves as trigger-points; I also think that cell-memory also comes into to play...

Anyway enough said for the moment, its Monday morning here in the land down-under and I haven't done my homework on chapter one !

Cheers, Kass

18. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Before starting ...

Kim, I just made a note on page 208 to add 'repressed anger', in case it ever goes to reprint. My reality was repressed pain when I tackled those deep TP's (stuff I thought I had forgotten about). Interestingly, I held it most in the psoas muscle (p. 152). When I first tackled this muscle, Darrell happened to be in the room and made one of those funny offhand comments that are slightly funny ... but I started laughing. And laughing. And then absolute hysterical belly laughing! He thought I'd gone mad, but joined in as laughter is pretty contagious. I wanted to keep treating this muscle and the only way to do this was to stop laughing. So I thought of something sad. Next minute I'm crying ... then sobbing! What a bizarre experience for someone who generally keeps their emotions to themselves! But the thing is, when deep muscle tension sets in, there is a reason. And when we release that, we release the memory. Laughing, crying, dreams, random thoughts ... quite a process we're tackling here! But a really good, healing one.

Byron, you sure don't mess around! Good on you! The key is to take a long term view. Remember, if you look at a stock chart too close you often miss the long term trend.

Kass ... good to see you on here posting. Hey, I just did my homework! ;D

19. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Good point Intrepid. Bandura's self-efficacy theory is one of the key principles covered in teacher training.
    But I found Henry Ford summed it up perfectly:
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you're usually right".

According to Bandura, there are 4 ways to believe we can effect change in our lives:
    1. By experiencing success
    2. By seeing others model success
    3. Through persuasion
    4. Through sensory and emotional states

Here's what I believe is offered here for people who usually don't have strong self-efficacy:

1. They may not have experienced success, but they sure have experienced failure: failure to heal. That is a powerful experience to draw from. There reaches a point when we get so sick of failing to get well that we know it's time to look to a new direction.
    2. There are plenty of good models showing DBL works here in this thread. That is why it is so good to have people like Pardonme, Kass and Ariapace here. They remind us that this works.
    3. 'Discovering Body Logic' as a complete book is very persuasive as it is based on logic.
    4. This begs the personal question: HOW BAD DO YOU WANT YOUR HEALTH?

I have watched people who have never before had strong motivation in any other area of their life become VERY strong in applying body logic. This is because you can't fail. It's an internal process where no one can judge - therefore the only failure is not doing it.

People who have suffered are forced to be strong. Suffering is VERY hard. The key is to turn that strength to a positive direction.

Lee.