Dizziness for Newbies

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by Wobbles, Feb 12, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Adri_onboard

Adri_onboard New Member

Ditto

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

3. Adri_onboard

Adri_onboard New Member

Good Information and not just for newbies !

Bumped

4. Seatlegirl

Seatlegirl New Member

I just wanted to add my thanks to you for articulating this. I'm a long time Menierian (13 years +), but even I found your explanations helpful. I frequently experience "vague dizziness" when waking up from a daytime nap, but couldn't put a name or description to what I was feeling. Thanks for helping me do that.

5. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Great Post......Like you I have a few types...Vertigo....sometimes just dizzy and hte 'unstable gaze' which the Vestibular Rehag has really helped me with. I recoomend that anyone with longstanding 'dizzy' problems explore this avenue. Thanks for the great explanations-Yvonne

6. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi again.....back with another question.

Can anyone please tell me what category of dizziness the following falls into. I once read what a forum member defined as 'disequilibrium' and it seem to make a lot of sense. Would that explain the following?:

- the feeling of floating on a boat out a sea
    - the dropping feeling, like an airplane hitting a low pressure pocket and dropping quickly
    for a second.
    - feeling as though the floor just dropped out from under you.

Thanks very much,
    Amethyst

7. johnny pinwheel

johnny pinwheel New Member

yeah i go through this one all the time. feels like i'm walking on an earthquake. lol... but no one else feels it. i've had all the sensations wobbles describes. but the spinning one has lessoned. if i feel any of them i have to take cover in bed or it will go to what i refer to, as the point of no return, once the puking starts theres no coming back and i'm sick for hours .

8. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Hi Amethyst,

During the first year or two, after the onset of my balance disorder, I had many episodes of dizziness in which I experienced feelings of dropping in an elevator, veering left or right, or being pushed left or right. Often, I felt as if I was in a rocking boat. I even walked as if I had sea legs. I experienced more of this type of dizziness than vertigo. Far more!

This type of dizziness is certainly not vertigo or lightheadedness. I would put it in the classification of balance (this category is better labeled balance/disequilibrium) because of the sensation of movement. However, intially, a person may feel that there are only vague feelings of being dizzy because they can not find the words to describe their feelings.

I can remember when I first had this type of dizziness. It was so strange that I thought that I might have been losing my mind. Now, I know different.

The vestibular organ has five organs that detect accelerations: three semicircular canals for detecting rotational accelerations and two additional organs (saccule and utricle) that detect linear accelerations. These latter organs also detect the orientation of the body with respect to gravity. Linear accelerations can be in three directions: forward-backward, left-right, and up-down.

When you are feeling as if you are dropping down, but are not, then it may be the saccule or utricle that are acting up. This is valuable information for your doctor.

At some point I will rewrite my first post and incorporate your ideas and comments, as well as the others.

Joe

9. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Thanks very much Joe - this information is incredibly useful. I'm also happy to hear that you had experienced these sensations more during the first couple of years. It gives me some hope that sometime in the future I may find these sensations less common.

Amethyst