Dizziness is not vertigo!

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by gardenfish, Jun 14, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. fizzixgal

fizzixgal New Member

http://www.meniereinfo.org/ says that's all it is, low level rotational vertigo. For myself, personally, I think it's definitely not the same in a "qualitative" and not just quantitative way. The tingling I get in my temple persists even if I stay perfectly still, and I don't feel any sense of rotation with it, more a pulling to the left. Feeling the floor move under me as if I was on an elevator also doesn't seem like rotational vertigo, and ditto for rocking feelings like being on a boat.

I'm not sure whether the non-rotational stuff is also part of a MM vertigo attack as I've never really had one. In the one definite rotational vertigo spell I had, the room spun right to left and that was all there was to it. Luckily, it was all over in 30 seconds.

2. Kelika

Kelika New Member

Every once in a while I get a couple of days that I am free from the constant dizziness. I walk around telling anyone who will listen. " I feel wonderful today" they think I'm crazy. I envy people who feel like that everyday. I used to and never appreciated it. Now I try to appreciate the dizziness, at least things aren't spinning. I have found that my MM has changed over the years as I'm sure many others have found that too. My newest episode is the nighttime spins. I just fall asleep and am awakened immediately with the room spinning. This happens 3 or 4 times each night and then I give in and take the ativan and am finally able to sleep. This has been going on for 2 weeks now and during the day I am exhausted, dizzy and off balance and then it's time for the night time spins again. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Terri

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I have a question for the folks who experience constant, or extended dizziness. When the dizziness is present, do you also experience hearing loss and/or tinnitus ? I appreciate your answers very much.

4. Kelika

Kelika New Member

I can't speak for everyone, but my tinnitus is constant and I'm not sure if my hearing fluctuates but the pressure in my ear does momentarily at times. My dizziness can become so severe it lands me flat on my back. I think the main difference for me is that my dizziness sometimes gets better when I lie down, my vertigo doesn't

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Actually at the time I'm to busy dealing with the dizziness to pay much attention - but - afterwards I usually experience pressure in both ears.

6. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I know you have thinningSCD - but could you have migraines as well?

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

you know having SCD, MAV and MM / or whatever you want to term it - i am no stranger to dizziness and vertigo - however, over the years vertigo has always been a part of my life and it changes most drastically - dizziness too is a common experience for me - a daily experience as I'm working on a compromised balance canal and bi-lateral MM and small SCD in left ear - dizziness really jacks with your everyday life - it is not pleasant and horrible...I still prefer it to vertigo but it can totally disable someone on a daily basis...

8. Kelika

Kelika New Member

I too prefer the lesser of two evils and will take the dizziness but it has a profound effect on the quality of my life.

9. fizzixgal

fizzixgal New Member

I have an appt beginning of Sept with a neuroT who is also a migraine expert, to try to sort that out. But, given that he immediately dx'd me with MdDS the last time I saw him, and that he considers MdDS a migraine variant, my guess is his answer will be yes.

10. Rona

Rona I am living Disneyland

I was diagnosed with Meniere's 11 long years ago and have had raging tinnitus on my right side. It's like Mother Nature, it seems to be doing what it wants when it wants. Just when I thought my tinnitus could not get any louder or more intrusive it decided to let me know who is in charge. I have maintained a low sodium diet and it seems to not be the only answer for control but definitly helps because when I have my chips and salsa cheating night I seem to pay the price. Dizzy and Vertigo are not even in the same categoty of being functional. If you have to ask or wonder if you have Vertigo, you don't. I have been with dizzyness on a constant basis for 9 months now and I'm getting really worn out. I have taken a leave from work for the first time in 38 years and living alone it is pretty scarry not to know the next chapter. I can't always dirve because dizzy and driving don't quite get along. I limit myself to about tree miles. I am scarred of getting stuck if my dizziness exacerbates. I had a 5 hour episode of vertigo 8 monts ago that still makes me freak out just tihnking about it. I really don't ever want to live though another attack. Everytime I start to go from my constant state of dizzy to feeling like I am going to go into an attack I have learned to reel myself in and take 8mm of Zofran and a larger dose of Xanax. I am usually in bed for 24 to 48 hours and that is no way to live. I feel as if I am living someone else's life. I don't know who this person is because this person who has a very full life is now in bed a lot watching daytime t.v. I have tried many meds and have adverse reaction to many. Meclizine, nortriptiline, valium and the list goes on and so that limits my wanting to try anything new. I have lost a lot of weight because of nausea. I have had Dr's that have done every test imaginable. I had an endoscopy two days ago to see if I had Celiac Disease even though I don't have a lot of the symptons that seem to go along with it. I am now at the point where I might consider a prodedure because my symptoms are just taking away from my ability to have a functional life. I had all the tests VNG, rotational chair, tilt table. Rt. ear showed 40% vestibular disfunction. I have severe hearing lost Starting at 50dB in lows and down to 95dB.at 6k and no hearing at 8k. Feels good just to write these words knowing someone else out there understands. Special hugs to all!

11. sunsound

sunsound New Member

Hey Buzz....I ride also, but have never had an attack while riding. I asked my Dr if he was concerned about me riding and he said I was more likely to have an acident while in a cage than on my bike because he said that I'm using all of my senses on the bike and would more aware if I have an attack thus having more control.
    I'm not gonna stop riding but if I have an attack.....I guess I'll just learn to handle it
    . ::)

12. sunsound

sunsound New Member

fizzixgal.....I've had good luck with taking Immitrex for migraines, altho sometimes I have to take a Hydrocod tab to get rid of it completely.
    I just had a cleaning out of my sinuses...overnight stay in the hospital......and still have the headaches, so I guess the Menieres is still the underlying prob.
    :-[

13. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

yea but there are different types of vertigo too.

14. andylope

andylope New Member

as a first time visitor newbie I just got one misconception cleared up.

Vertigo and dizziness is not the same, I have had vertigo so I am well aware of the debilitating effect. So now I just have dizzy spells most days and hope the devil does not reappear.

Thanks for the great info

15. DizzyinMICH

DizzyinMICH New Member

I am new to this website and I have enjoyed reading your posts. I am a true sufferer of Miniere's with all the symptoms to go along with it. I have had 3-4 episodes per week for the past month. I was diagnosed 10 years ago and it comes and goes. I went about 2 years without any episodes. Now....it seems my life has changed forever. I am afraid to go out alone or drive for that matter. I find my attacks happen around mid afternoon most times. I have two Antivert, a Xanax, motion sickness oil (for behind the ear) and a Compazine on my night stand. I find that if I can catch it in time it doesn't seem to be so severe. Some attacks happen immediately with no warning and I am down and out for at least 16 hours. Vomiting, hot and cold sweats, sensitivity to light and sound, diaharea and of course the spins....and the anxiety to go along with it! I have a constant throbbing in my left ear with 80% hearing loss at my last doctor appt. When the throbbing gets worse I lay down (if possible), takes some meds and hope that it will pass. I feel like it is taking control of my life and I just wanted to share this with others that have this terrible disease. I'm seeing yet another ENT doctor in two weeks hoping there is something else I can do to prevent these attacks from happening so frequently.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Dizzyin MICH - I am so sorry to hear about how this is taking over your life. I know there are many people here who have the same type of problems going on but it's different, somehow, when it's you. You can't even come on line for some comforting words when you're down like that. I hope the new ENT can come up with something that can help. I'm sure you're been told or have already read some stuff that John of Ohio has put out about natural remedies that might work. Maybe that will help over the long run.

I'm gonna hope you'll have some quiet from the storm that is constantly brewing around in your head. I also hope there's someone close to you that understands and can help you with the things you can't take care of when you're so sick that you can't even move. Good luck with the new ENT. Let us know what happens.

17. DizzyinMICH

DizzyinMICH New Member

Thank you....I will. I also heard that Ginger Root helps the onset of Vertigo. I'm going to give that a try. I don't know if I am posting this in the right place but I can't figure out how to post in the Living Room. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

18. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

First off, any place is the right place to get started. You can actually start a post by going to the Meniere's talk forums and deciding which 'place' you want to go. Once you get to that place, I believe on the right hand side towards the top it allows you to post a new topic. You pick a title to call it and then you post! Don't worry, the more you play with it the more you'll say Ah,ha!! About the ginger root, I've heard that it helps some people too.

It takes a while for all of us but you will get the hang of it. Good luck, and see ya around the site!

19. buschiabo

buschiabo New Member

Dizzy, you say you are seeing a new ENT. Have you seen a neurootologist? They know more about this beast than a standard ENT. Not that they seem to offer too much relief without gent injections. Just curious. Welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here. Donna

20. DizzyinMICH

DizzyinMICH New Member

I have not seen a Neurologist. I haven't even thought about it actually. I had an MRI and a CAT scan with nothing out of the ordinary to be found. With my type of health insurance we need to get a referral from our primary care physician and my doctor never even suggested a Neurologist. I don't know much about gent injections so I will be doing some research. I have seen four different ENT's and they all tell me the same thing. I went through Physical Therapy which was a complete nightmare! I guess they try to train your brain to accept the fact that your are dizzy and pretty much learn how to deal with it. Every time I went I was worse by the time I got home....it was not fun. I also need to learn more about "burn out". My symptoms and severity is getting worse so I truly hope that I am nearing the end of all this. I can't hear out of my left ear now....80% hearing loss and a continuous throbbing (like my heartbeat). Many times I can't fall asleep at night. My husband and kids have been great. They know exactly what to do when an attack comes on. I am very thankful for that. I find that in the midst of a severe episode and sweating....a fan helps. After the episode subsides, I find that I am freezing to death and no matter how many blankets I have on I can't get warm. This disease truly sucks but I keep telling myself it could be a lot worse.....I could be on my death bed with cancer or in excrutiating pain all the time or a complete vegetable. I try to have a positive attitude but sometimes (especially when having an attack) it is very difficult to remain positive. It's hard to live a normal life....I usually feel pretty good in the mornings so I make sure to schedule my work (self employed) at that time. A dear and wise friend of mine who is 93 years old gave me some good advice. He told me to take a break mid-afternoon; lie down for an hour, try to sleep or just relax. I have been trying (schedule permitting) and so far it seems to be helping. At this point (as you all know) I will take any advice I can get. I'm glad I found this website and I hope I can help others as I feel like I've learned quite a bit from you guys just in two days. Thanks!