Dizziness is not vertigo!

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by gardenfish, Jun 14, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

2. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

From VEDA:

Vertigo and dizziness

Spinning or whirling sensation; an illusion of movement of self or the world (vertigo)
    Lightheaded, floating, or rocking sensation (dizziness)

3. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

The definition given would put me in the class of a person who suffers vertigo yet the vertigo I've come to understand from most of the people who have written on this topic is that movement of self/world with severe vomitting, crawling or hanging onto something to get from one place to another and complete bed rest are the words used most often when describing vertigo. I don't have to hug the walls, crawl nor do I vomit BUT the world does move about me or me about the world so that I must sit before I fall or at the least hang on to the nearest thing available. I feel nausea but do not vomit.

Sometimes I wonder when people use the word "vertigo" just what definition is in their mind. That's one reason why you'll always hear me say severe vertigo which, I believe lets people know I'm talking about hugging the walls (and toilet) instead of just the world spinning about you either from within or without.

It's why this whole topic started way back when.

shartsoe - what does vertigo verses dizziness mean to you without the book words...?

4. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Hollymm, I would say that vertigo to me, means exactly the same as the definitions put forth by VEDA. I have a post on the main page about my first episode of what I believe qualifies as vertigo, but lasted only 30 seconds. There, you'll find other people who support that position. When the floor and the ceiling/walls, what have you, switch places, that's vertigo without regard to severity, vomiting or duration. I have been "dizzy" off and on for most of my life, thanks to MM and other balance issues brought on by my deafness. This attack was nothing, absolutely remotely, anything like that. I think it's quite appropriate to define vertigo in terms of severity, much like we do any other symptoms of any other disease. But, I will say it again, I have nothing but the utmost respect for those on this board and elsewhere who suffer through the severe vertigo and manage to survive, even more so since this attack - which I will be quite happy to never have happen again.

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

"Like" button is lit ;D My feelings exactly!!

6. CGR

CGR Guest

It doesn't really matter what you call it; it sucks poo when you get the violent spins. I used to think the rotational spins were the worst until i got the vertical spins. 3 hours of that at blinding speed and you want to die and get it over with.

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Agreed. I'm sorry you ever had to endure hours of this stuff.

8. buffee

buffee New Member

all I know is in the 80's when I told my employers I am dizzy, they said "All you Blondes are dizzy" then I got fired.....it sounds alot more physical if you call it vertigo....and basically dizziness is vertigo.....at least mine is...and all 7 books I own on Meniere's disease all tslk about dizziness/vertigo......no matter what u call it, it SUCKS!!!! :mad:

9. CGR

CGR Guest

Remember when you got really wasted the first time and when you lay down in the bed, the room started spinning and made you want to puke and you wished you could die and promised the porcelain god that you'd never drink again? Now imagine that when you're sober and can't pass out and it goes on for hours.

That's how i described it to my Dept Head and he's never given me shit about it since.