Doctors say Cannabis treats Meniere’s disease...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Apr 19, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. crud

crud New Member

To the guy on this thread who called pit bulls dangerous--I have two pit bulls and the most danger they would pose to anyone is they may swat you in the kneecap with their wagging tails. The meanest dog I have ever seen happened to be a poodle. So please stop with anti pit bull rhetoric. Don't blame the breed--blame the humans who make them mean!

2. cherylmcgr

cherylmcgr New Member

I got my card today. We will see. I am just experimenting right now. I find it makes car rides tolerable if I partake before. ( I am not driver). I am not wanting to get baked and anymore stupid just trying.....

I also agree on the above statement on pitt bulls my nephew went to Marines and I had to watch his for 2 years I was scared to say yes, I have a pug. The pitt bull was more of a baby than my pug.

3. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

Good luck. I guess If I was doing it I would vape it. It doesnt take much to have an effect I have heard.

4. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

YAY!! You tell 'em crud. I've got two and they are the sweetest dogs ever. Mine are real kissers. GO PITS!!!

I know it's not about dogs on this topic but I couldn't help but reply to this...

5. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

decriminalize it & all other illegal drugs, keep the rules away from them
    first people smoked kinikikut SP?

6. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Can't find what you're talking about on line. I know you think you might've spelled it wrong but there weren't even any suggestions. So, my question is, what is it? A derivitive of cannabis?

7. crud

crud New Member

If blood vessel constriction is an issue with Menier's Disease then it seems like Cannabis would be bad for the Menier's. Doesn't Cannabis cause constriction?

8. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I found the below on line but see that they tested 54 people in the study...

Marijuana affects blood vessels

Marijauna appears to constrict blood vessels

Marijuana has a long-term effect on blood flow to the brain, potentially increasing the risk of memory damage and stroke, research finds.
    The National Institute on Drug Abuse in Baltimore found users have faster blood flow in their brains - even after a month of not smoking.

The findings suggest marijauna use narrows blood vessels, in way similar to that found in heart disease.

Details of the study are published in the journal Neurology.
    This suggests that marijuana use leads to abnormalities in the small blood vessels in the brain

Dr Ronald Herning

The researchers tested 54 marijuana users, who smoked between two and 350 joints a week, and 18 non-smokers.
    They used sophisticated ultrasound technology to measure blood flow in volunteers' brains at the beginning of the study and after a month of abstinence.

Marijauna smokers had a faster blood flow, both at the start of the study, and after they had refrained from their habit for four weeks.

The smokers also had a higher pulsatility index (PI) score. This is a measure of the resistance to blood flow.

The researchers believe the higher PI is caused by narrower blood vessels.

Abnormalities

Researcher Dr Ronald Herning said: "The marijuana users had PI values that were somewhat higher than those of people with chronic high blood pressure and diabetes.

"This suggests that marijuana use leads to abnormalities in the small blood vessels in the brain."

The research also found that after a month of not smoking, people who had been moderate users - smoking up to 70 marijuana cigarettes a week - showed signs of improved blood flow.

However, a month of abstinence had no positive impact on blood flow among heavy users, who smoked up to 350 joints a week.

Dr Herning told the BBC News website that if blood supply to the brain was reduced, then its cells would be starved of oxygen, and unable to function at full capacity.

"In the long-term one might see cognitive difficulties, such as problems with memory and thinking," he said.

He said it was also possible that using the drug may increase the risk of a stroke, which is caused by damage to the blood vessels in the brain.

There are case reports of strokes among young marijauna users.

"My advice would be to abstain from using the drug," Dr Herning said.

Research by a team at McGill University in Montreal has found that long-term cannabis users lose molecules called CB1 receptors in the brain's arteries.

This reduces blood flow to the brain, causing attention deficits, memory loss, and impaired learning ability.

Professor Peter Weissberg, medical director of the British Heart Foundation, said: "This paper adds to the growing body of evidence that marijuana has important and persistent physiological effects on blood flow to the brain that may have longterm consequences.

"This, coupled with the likelihood that marijuana uses are often also tobacco smokers, points to potential longterm risks for frequent users."

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

There are so many drugs out there that have very serious side effects. I'm not surprised that cannabis would have some.

Here is some other information about what cannabis helps besides the effects of Meniere's disease which has been discussed throughout this topic. The information below specifically includes cannabis for Meniere's:

Frank Lucido, MD *(Berkley) is

a family practitioner who began approving patients' use of cannabis soon after the passage of Prop. 215. He conducts about 900 cannabis consultations per year (including follow-up visits)

1. Approvals issued: >3,000
    2. Previously self-medicating: 99%
    3. Conditions treated with cannabis:

Chronic pain 75% Most diagnoses are musculoskeletal, i.e. dis disease, post-traumatic injuries, etc. Others include Fibromyalgia Syndrome (2%), Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosis, Lyme Arthritis, Raynaud's Syndrome, Gout, Gulf War Syndrome.

*Psychiatric problems (33%),

including Depression, Chronic Anxiety,
    Insomnia, Bipolar, PTSD, ADHD, and OCD. Neurologic problems (14%), including headache, Multiple Sclerosis, Restless Leg Syndrome, Parkinson's, Neuropathic Pain, Tremor, Seizure Disorder.

*Genito-Urinary problems (5.6%),

including sever Dismenorrhea, Menopausal Syndrome, Endometriosis, PMS, Interstitial Cystitis, Nephrolithiasis

*Gastrointestinal (12.5%),

including chronic abdominal pain, hepatitis C, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohn's Ulcerative Colitis, GERD, Anorexia, Nausea, Diverticulitis pain.

*Others (11%), notably Glaucoma (3%),

Medication side effects (2.6%), Asthma (2.3%),

Cancer, lymphoma, leukemia, Meniere's/tinnitus.

Effects of cannabis:
    Patients are able to be more active (work, exercise, etc.); sleep, eating and overall ability to function improved.g

Drug use reduced?
    Chronic pain patients report reduced use of opioids, NSAIDs, muscle relaxants, sleeping pills. Psychiatric and insomnia patients reduce use of tranquilizers, SSRT antidepressants, and sleeping pills. Neurologic patients reduce use of opioids, muscle relaxants, NSAIDs, tiptans and other migraine headache remedies.

Unusual conditions treated?
    Gulf War Syndrome. Patients use cannabis to mitigate chronic neuropathic pain form nerve damage, chronic nausea, and migraine, as well as PTSD from his experiences in combat.

Comments re strains and dosage:
    Patients vary tremendously in their dosage needs. In general, Sativa strains seem to have a mildly stimulating effect and are best for daytime use. Indica has a mildly sedative effect and is best for evening use. Both are reportedly effective for chronic pain.

Adverse effects?
    Reported adverse effects are rare, in part because the patients coming to a medical cannabis consultation has already found cannabis to be of benefit. I have had perhaps 10 patients in 10 years who had never tried cannabis or who hadn't use it in many years and were uncertain if it would effectively treat their current illness or symptoms. Two patients have discontinued use in response to decreased productivity. The overwhelming majority report that they are MORE productive when their symptoms are controlled with cannabis.

Demographics
    In a recent series of 393 consecutive patients, 195 were male, 108 female.
    Their ages, plotted, would form a bell curve:
    <18 2 30-39 60 60-69 24
    18-20 4 40-49 80 70-79 1
    21-29 42 50-59 89 80-89 1

ADHD patients?
    Over the course of my practice I have approved cannabis use by about five
    patients per year for attention deficit disorders. In recent years,
    however, more patients report using cannabis to treat ADD and AD/HS, and I
    am issuing more approvals. The present rate is approximately one patient
    per month.

Cannabis as a substitute for alcohol?
    I have had only three patients in 10 years whose primary diagnosis for cannabis was alcoholism. Many recovering alcoholics are using cannabis for chronic anxiety and/or depression, so to some extent they are substituting it as a treatment for problems they previously self-treated with alcohol. Because alcohol can damage the liver and cause destructive behavior, cannabis use is rightly termed "harm reduction"

Marian Fry, MD (Cool)
    Mollie Fry graduated from UC Irvine School of Medicine in 1985 and began her career as a family practitioner. She stopped practicing in 1989 to home school her children. After Prop 215 passed, Fry, who is herself a breast cancer survivor, resumed seeing patients (employing a physician's assistant to handle the initial interview). Her husband, attorney Dale Schafer, established an adjoining practice to advise patients
    of their rights. Fry and Schafer have been charged with cultivation under federal law. She continues to practive wile fighting the charges.

1. Approvals issued: 12,000
    2. Previously self-medicating: 80%
    3. Conditions being treated:

Chronic pain, 85%.
    Includes all etiologies from systemic disease, i.e., Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Rheumatlid Arthritis, to physical injuries such as fractures incurred in motor vehicle accidents, gunshot wounds, failed surgeries, Post-Traumatic Arthritis, Osteoarthritis and work-related problems.

Psychiatric disorders, 15%. Includes *PTSD*,
    Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia, Panic disorder. Other illnesses include AIDS and Cancer (2%-3%), Glaucoma (1%-2%). Psoriasis and Eczema (1%-2%). Patients report feeling better able to face whatever illness they are
    dealing with.

Results reported:
    The majority of my patients report a decrease in the use of conventional pharmaceuticals. Approximately 90% of those using narcotics decrease their usage, and about half discontinue them altogether. Patients report feeling better able to face whatever illness they are dealing with. Many express relief that their pain and anxieties are being treated through a God-given plant. Cannabis enables them to feel a part of their own treatment and a part of their own healing.

Health is a state of mind, body and spirit. By restoring their connection to nature, cannabis helps patients on all three levels. *Medications discontinued or reduced *include Oxycontin, Norco, Percoset, Vicodin, Flexeril, Soma, Valium, SSRI antidepressants, and blood-pressure medications Norvasc and Hydrochlorothiazide.

Approximately 1% of my patients report reduced reliance or discontinuation of seizure medication by substituting Cannabis for Dilantin and remain seizure free. Many of my Glaucoma patients no longer require their timoptic drops and are able to maintain normal pressures with the use of Cannabis.

Many of my patients who have lost hope in conventional pharmaceutical treatments report enhanced health, decreased pain, decreased depression and an overall sense of well-being despite chronic illness.

Unusual conditions successfully treated with cannabis?

Eczema, Psoriasis, and dermatits or all types are being treated successfully. Also, skin reactions associated with Agent Orange. Although it is not a medical condition per se, parenting problems are alleviated by the use of cannabis. Mothers and fathers report enhanced flexibility and an ability to identify the child's needs as those of a separate and unique individual. Parents are able to interpret the child's behavior in an age-appropriate manner. Improved communication leads to shared experience. The parent becomes present and the child benefits from the increase positive attention. Many patients report that cannabis stimulates their interest in art, music, poetry, writing, and other creative endeavors. Insight is manifested by an ability to recognize one's place in the universe. Patients say cannabis makes them less self-centered and egocentric and more aware of the needs of other people. It makes them aware of how their own behavior affects other people and how they may be contributing to negative interaction. Cannabis can be useful adjunct in the marital-counseling process.

Comments re strains and dosage?
    As a result of Prohibition, not enough information is available regarding strains and I don't feel comfortable making a comment on this subject. Regarding delivery methods, I feel strongly that edible cannabis is underutilized. As noted in a previous communication (Spring 2006), oral ingestion involves processing by the liver, which minimizes the differences between strains. Oral ingestion is recommended for those seeking long term relief from chronic physiological problems such as pain, glaucoma, diabetes, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis.

Just as patients who smoke cannabis learn to inhale as needed to achieve and maintain their desired effect, patients who use oral cannabis can employ an analogous titration process. If a patient is using a vegetable-oil extract, s/he calculates the amount needed top produce the desired effect without over-sedation (the "loading dose").

By determining how long it takes for the effect to come on and wear off, patients can schedule a subsequent"maintenance dose" to keep on an even keel. The sedation that may be perceived as a negative side effect during waking hours is precisely the effect that chronic pain patients and others require for a good nit's sleep.

Orally ingested cannabinoids can exert their effects for close to eight hours - adequate sleep for most patients- eliminating the need for a maintenance dose in the middle of the night. The efficacy of cannabis applied topically as an ointment or tincture is similarly underrated. Dose is controlled by the individual monitoring the
    effects on the skin lesions being treated. My patients have had great success with using 1/4 cup of extracted cannabis oil in a hot bath for overall distribution, followed by localized applications to severely inflamed areas.

Cannabinoids and possibly other healing components of the plant are absorbed directly through the skin; the anti-inflammatory properties are outstanding, reducing recovery time from injuries and promoting healing of lesions. Topical cannabis has also been used by my lupus patients and rheumatoid arthritis patients to increase the function of joints and decrease nodule formation. Many recipes are available both vegetable-oil-based and rubbing-alcohol-based preparations.

Adverse effects?
    The most significant negative reactions are due to fear of incarceration and
    the results of abuse by officers unwilling to honor California law.

Demographics
    My office does not compile this data, but I can generalize with some assurance that my patients are about two-thirds male and more than half are over 50 years old. They are predominately white, with the majority having completed high school and beyond. Those patients who are not disabled do not report problems getting and maintaining satisfactory employment. Most use Cannabis in the evening for relaxing and for chronic stresses and pains associated with the workday and are not under the influence during work hours.

ADHD patients?
    ADHD diagnoses are misleadingly low. There are many high-achieving successful, adults who use cannabis for other problems but in fact meet the criteria for an ADHD diagnosis. Most ADHD patients in my practice are teenagers with parental consent to substitute Cannabis for more dangerous and addicting drugs like Ritalin, Dexedrine, etc. These patients do much better with Cannabis, show marked improvement in appetite and sleep, and are more successful in school.

Substitute for alcohol?
    More that half my patients express a preference for Cannabis over alcohol. Those who have been alcoholics as evidenced by DUI and other court proceedings find that substituting Cannabis for alcohol makes it much easier to remain sober. Ample research demonstrates the excessive alcohol use often results in domestic violence and motor vehicle accidents. This is not the case with Cannabis use form my experience.

Philip A Denney, MD (Redding, Lake Forest, Carmichael),
    spent most of his career as a family practitioner before specializing in cannabis consultations in 1999. Aware that patients from all over the state were coming to see him in an office near Sacramento, Denney expanded his practice in 2004, opening offices in Orange and Shasta counties (in partnership with Robert Sullivan, MD, whose separate response is on page 8)).

Approvals issued: 18,900

Previously self-medicating: 95%

Conditions being treated:

Chronic pain 50% (trauma, surgical, neuropathic, etc.) Cannabis works particularly well for neuropathic pain.

Gastrointestinal conditions 15% (nausea, vomiting, Crohn's disease, hepatitis C, etc.).

Psychiatric conditions 15% (anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, PTSD, etc.).

Neurologic disorders 10% (multiple sclerosis, plegias, phantom pain, migraine, etc.).

Others 10%. Most common among these are glaucoma, addiction, and sleep disorders.

Results reported:* Cannabis is nontoxic and therefore quite safe. Dosing is easy, involving self-titration, and there is no "hangover" effect. We do not see any dependence or abuse problems.

Medications reduced:
    Cannabis allows significant decreased use or elimination of many prescription medications, particularly narcotics. Patients usually report decreases of 50% or better.

Rare conditions being treated?
    Many, including anorexia and other eating disorders, and rare cancers such as pheochromocytoma. I am particularly impressed with the usefulness of cannabis in Tourette's Syndrome.

Comments re strains and dosage?
    There are virtually no pure Sativa or Indica strains being used by California patients because of long term crossbreeding. Nor can we subject strains in use to chemical analysis to determine their components.

The Indica type is preferred by patients for pain, spasm, sleep, and
    mania. Indicas are said to have a higher CBD-to-THC ratio than Sativas.

The Sativa type is reportedly better for appetite and to alleviate gastrointestinal symptoms. It has mild stimulant effects, elevating mood and increasing activity.

The Indica type is preferred by patients for pain, spas, sleep, and mania.

Indicas are said to have a higher CBD-to-THC ratio than Sativas.

Dosage varies widely. Approximately 80% of patients use one ounce per week or less; 20% use more. Patients ingesting via edibles or teas tend to use more. The highest use among my patients is three ounces per week.

Demographics data:
    Not kept. Average age approximately 40 years. 75% male, 25% female.

Approval for ADHD?
    A relatively common diagnosis, particularly in younger males.

Cannabis as a substitute for alcohol?
    Patients frequently report success in using cannabis to maintain sobriety.
    It is also used by many as a substitute for opiates and stimulants.
    Cannabis is an underused treatment for substance abuse.*

Overdose from edible cannabis -an unpleasant drowsiness lasting six to
    eight hours- is rare and transient.*

Adverse effects?
    Virtually none reported by patients except contacts with the legal system. Patients are able to stop using easily in order to pass drug tests or when traveling. Overdose form edible cannabis - an unpleasant drowsiness lasting 6-8 hours- is rare and transient.

10. crud

crud New Member

Doesn't cannabis cause constriction in the blood vessels? If so--seems as bad as salt.

11. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Maybe it takes the anxiety and and nausea away which makes it worthwhile for those who need it. I don't use cannabis so mine is pure speculation.

12. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Like anything we put into our bodies, there is a cause and effect thing going on. Does the good of it outweigh the bad? It's each person's personal choice.

13. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

I agree with this. We just want to know as much as we can so we can make our best choice.

14. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Like I've said before, if it didn't screw so bad with my tinnitus, I'd be using it for the pain instead of all these opioids I'm using now. There's a lot more side-effects on those labels than cannabis, that's for sure. I did really help with the all the different pains I have including the dizzies but I just couldn't handle the ear part. It says it's supposed to help with tinnitus too. Maybe I didn't smoke enough - who knows, I just too scared to try it again now...

15. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

I smoked it long ago, thought it was a single herb, turns out kinnickkinnick means that which is mixed: mostly black oak bark, 2 kinds of sumack & ?

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I don't get it. It doesn't sound like any kind of cannabis. Are you talking about the 'spice' stuff I mentioned?

17. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

nothing to do with cannabis, someone talkede about native american smoking stuff

18. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Interesting info at the link, as it explains the history of Cannabis use
    going back a few thousand years.

http://marijuanatoday.com/marijuanahistory.php

19. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Very interesting article indeed. I can just see our forefathers writing the declaration of independence while smoking a bowl :D :D

I just can't help but see so much good in a product. Best, of course for the governement and taxes but also for the average joe who just wants to relax after a hard days work.

Huge, huge product. I bet "they" just cant figure out or come to an agreement on how best to make as much money as possible.

Oil companies indeed...

20. Titus

Titus New Member

I wonder if you used the non-smoking kind if it would make a difference? If it constricts the blood vessels it would help migraine unless there was rebound dilation. If it would rid me of my pain and dizzies, I'd be baking up some brownies ASAP. Of course, between the MJ and Remeron, I'd probably eat the whole pan.