Doctors you would recommend in your area.

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by Buffy-Again, Feb 6, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June

June New Member

bringing to top

2. ivyj60

ivyj60 New Member

Any good docs in Arizona (East Valley)?
    I just made an appt with a Dr. Gambino but they can't get me in til the 27th. I'll let you guys know how he is. He specializes in dizziness so I'm assuming he knows Meniere's well.

3. justcallmedizzy

justcallmedizzy New Member

I highly recommend Dr. Mitchell Schwaber - Neurotologist in Nashville, TN. Someone else mentioned him when I was looking for a dr........ and he is the best!!!

4. Brook76

Brook76 New Member

I see Dr. James E. Benecke, Jr. at Missouri Baptist Medical Center in St. Louis, Missouri. He is great and very understanding. However, he is a little over zealous with medications.

5. June

June New Member

bump

6. doodle

doodle New Member

Dr Timothy Molony
    Ochsner Clinic
    Jefferson, LA

7. jrw

jrw New Member

In Madison, Wisconsin - Dr. G. Mark Pyle with the ENT department of Univ. of Wisconsin Hospital. He's had 100's of Meniere's patients from all over the country.

8. Carolina_gal

Carolina_gal New Member

I live in North Carolina and I recently travelled 2 hours to Duke Medical Center and saw a Dr. Debra Tucci. She is an Otologist. Several weeks before my appointment I was sent a letter from Duke Medical Center telling me to be certain to bring all relevant medical records and MRI scans, as well as all medications bottles. I did all of those things and when Dr. Tucci came in for the office visit she didn't look at any of the medical records I took (and I paid $ for some of them), nor did she look at my MRI, nor did she look at the medication bottles I had brought. She only spent 15 minutes at most with me and I was VERY disappointed. I had high expectations of going to Duke since they have a great reputation---but I was sorely disappointed.

I've been considering going some place up north, maybe John Hopkins.

Claudia

9. Linda920

Linda920 New Member

Dr. Howard Francis at John Hopkins, very considerate and really wants to learn as much as possible about this illness. Has me speak with interns when I come in and very concerned for my well being. Plus they have made me feel like my old self, 5 months vertigo free!!!! *knock on wood of course*

10. choclicity1

choclicity1 New Member

I am in michigan. I go to the Michigan Ear Institute. Dr. Dennis Bojrab is my doctor. He seems pretty effective. I havent been shuffeled from dr. to dr. trying to find out what's wrong. He diagnosed me with early onset menieres and I am on tradional therapy of diuretics and potassium, low sodium diet etc....

Hi Lisa! I thought I was the only person in michigan with this problem! I'm 42 years old and feel much much older.

11. hydrops

hydrops New Member

Dr. Vincent Ostrowski - Midwest Ear Institute - Indianapolis. A consummate professional. Superb, well-rounded doctor originally trained by Dr. Timothy Hain. The staff at the clinic is excellent. The best I've ever dealt with.

The Midwest Ear Institute works in conjunction with the Balance Institute of Indiana. The physical therapists are well trained, and know more about these vestibular ailments than a lot of doctors.

12. ET

ET Living in Charlie Brown's Classroom

I am in North Carolina and found my doctor at the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejeune. Dr. Kosnik has been wonderful. He is a very caring doctor that makes you feel like a person, not a chart. The poor man has had to put up with a lot of emotions from me and has been there through it all, usually with a box of kleenex. He is a homeopathic doctor plus he is an Otolaryngologist. He works with a great team, including my favorite audiologist. He was not afraid to ask other ENT's for second opinions, has been willing to try anything I have heard/read about in an effort to get a handle on MM. Because the drive is over two hours round trip for me, they try to schedule my appointments on the same day. There was one time they couldn't, as Dr. Kosnik was in surgery the only day the audio had open, but he took the time to come up to talk over the results of my tests while his patient was in recovery so that I didn't need to come back later in the week for our appointment.
    So, if there are any military in the forum- active, retired or dependent and you live in the NC area, keep him in mind.

13. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

I am In Canada And Go to the Montreal general ..My Doc is Doctor Sweet amazing takes time with you listnens Only does light gents no operations has far has I no but he is considered one of the best he has been around a long time Dr Rappaport with the Jewis General also is on top of his game but he rushed me out to fast so I went to dr...Sweet...........I no Not to many of you are from here I wish someone was lol...Maybe one day.............

14. wileyriley

wileyriley New Member

carolina-gal
    I sent you a PM too. I highly recommend a Dr. John May at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. Also many years ago I saw Dr. Stephen Gold in Charlotte. He was pretty good too.

15. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

If you're in Florida, the Silverstein Institute in Sarasota is the number one place.

Dr. Silverstein invented the micro-wick for delivering Gentamicin and other drugs to the inner ear, and he also perfected the inner ear surgical techinques that are now being used all over the world.

The other big-time doctor there is Dr. Jack Wazen, who wrote the book "Dizzy."

Silverstein is such a genius, he can be a little obtuse; Wazen has a nicer bedside manner. But both of them are neurotologists, and they know their stuff.
    Google the Silverstein Institute.

Bless all,
    Ron

16. Upc

Upc New Member

Does anyone know a good Dr. in North Sandiego County? I belong to Secure Horizons and the one they sent me to see seems to have never heard of Meniere's disease...my internist just prescribed a tiny bit of Hydrochlorziazide included in my B/P pill. I lost the hearing in my left ear 26 years ago, and the vertigo has been very mild since my first couple of years. But the other night when I went totally deaf for a few hours I had no vertigo or nausea. I'm wondering if this could instead just be an autoimmune disease (to go along with my arthritis and low thyroid?) I can't really find any info that says that they have any more ideas of how to treat Meniere's than they did 26 years ago??? Thanks for you info...

17. eedad1

eedad1 New Member

I live in Minnesota and I have seen 5 Dr's in this state for Meniere's. Minnesota has a large number for very skilled Dr's in this area for some reason.

Dr Connelly, Park Nicollet - gave up on me after he Dx'd me, but he did very through testing to rule out everything else. This was excellent.

Dr. Levine, U of Mn - Wanted to cut my balance nerve, but I opted for Meniett instead, so he prescribed. He was put off by me explaining Meniere's to him, sort of like "if you know so much, why are you here?" "because you can write prescriptions for stuff I can't" (!!)

Dr. Paparella, Paparella Ear Clinic - He wants to do his special surgery and I refuse, so he wishes me luck and leaves quickly.....I have been told he will now do steroid injections in the ear, if asked.

Dr. ?????, Mayo Clinic - offered only surgery and nothing else.

Dr. Nissen, Ear Specialities in Bloomington, Mn - He has been great, but wants to do the surgery, too. He prescribed the Acyclovir after some discussion by me, so I appreciate his willingness to work with me.

If you want a very thorough Dx with a lot of medical testing (blood work and other stuff - no drop chairs or caloric tests), then Dr. Connelly.

If you are really desperate (world will not stop spinning and it is unmanageable) get the nerve cut by Levine. This seems to be his specialty and he does seem skilled.

If you are a believer in the mastoid surgeries, then Paparella because he is a God. His 'cure' rate is very good.....just ask him.

If your situation is not very dire and want a nice Dr. that listens and works with you, then Dr. Nissen.

This has been my experience, so far.

18. June

June New Member

bump

19. June

June New Member

to first page

20. survivedit

survivedit New Member

upc- I think there's a House Ear clinic extension office near San Diego. Take a look at their web site. Otherwise it would be worth the trip up to LA to go there in my opinion.

Bob