Does this sound like MM to you?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Orion, Oct 2, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Orion

Orion New Member

I am questioning my MM diagnosis and would like all of your collective wisdom and insight on this one. I also have had TMJ for 20 years with all the clicking and jaw lock, etc.. I do not have hearing loss. Salt intake does not seem to affect me. So I'm wondering what's really going on. Here are my symptoms. Does this sound like MM to you or something else? I'm calling this afternoon for another appointment with my oto-neurologist and want to do some research before hand. Here goes:

*Tinnitus (for 20 years without other symptoms except ear popping)
    *Ear popping (again, 20 years)
    *Constant dizziness which feels like when you stand up and the blood rushes to your head. Not room spinning vertigo. The dizziness is periodic. Lasts for about 8-12 weeks and then goes away. I've had two episodes in the past 18 months. Sometimes I feel slightly nauseas but it goes away if I eat ginger.
    *Ear fullness occasionally and only now when I'm having an episode. Although I've always had problems with my eustachian tubes filling up when I have a sinus cold.
    *Balance problems. Kind of like trying to walk on a moving train. Gets worse when dizziness is present, but when dizziness is gone, I am still a "klutz."
    *Brain fog -- constant, even when dizziness is gone. Some days it's worse than others.
    *Neck/shoulder pain - periodic depending on stress level
    *Ear pain only in the Fall/Winter/Spring when the wind blows and the temperature drops below 68. I get an earache. It's been this way for about 15 years
    *Headaches, behind the eyes mostly, especially when I spend too much time on the computer

So what do you think?

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Orion -

It doesn't really sound like it, but I'm not a doctor.

Here's more that might help:

http://www.menieres.org/jacki/jackis70.htm

Good luck with your next doc appt!

3. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

I have some of the symptoms like you do. Now my doctors are leaning toward an MAV diagnosis instead of an MM diagnosis. I do not have TMJ type symptoms. The headaches behind the eye sound more like a migraine. I use to get them too. Not so much anymore. Feels like someone is stabbing your eyeball with an icepick from behind. Don't have problems with earaches unless I have an ear infection which is rare. They have tried me on several migraine drugs which so far have not worked. But it is something to consider. But all of your other symptoms are like mine. It has been three years and i don't have a final diagnosis.

4. shudabenanun

shudabenanun Laters baby

I also have some same symptoms but I do not have TMJ.. not sure what to tell you.. but I think your right to call the Doc for another appt. to be sure...Goodluck

5. VickiS

VickiS New Member

I have MAV and your symptoms could indicate you do too.

You would need to see an otoneurologist for a proper diagnosis, although it's really just a process of elimination as there's no set tests you can have for it.

MAV can be helped a lot by medication, I am on Epilim which is for epilespy (which I don't have) and it has relieved my symptoms a fair bit.

6. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Hi Orion,

I am glad to see that you are making an appointment with your neurotologist. He should be able to tell you if you have Meniere’s disease. You seem to be missing the hearing loss and vertigo components of Meniere’s disease.

Joe

7. Orion

Orion New Member

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify -- the oto-neurologist gave the initial MM diagnosis when I saw her 7 weeks ago, although she did not inquire about head injuries, TMJ, headaches, etc., which I later realized through my own research might be causing these symptoms. Plus, the baseline test for MM (ENG) is subjective and not always 100% accurate.