ENG results... anyone have any advice.. please read

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by GinaMc, Oct 3, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

ok, I had my ENG yesterday which was hard to get thru as I had to be off valium before I could have the test done. I was told today that the ENG came back normal.. which... you would think would be good right?? but my question is this... I have had 3 gentamycin injections in my bad ear... and I would of thought that should of killed out the vestibular balance in that ear with the right ear taking over right?? so, if my ENG is normal does that mean that maybe there is fluid in the inner ear throwing my balance off... or should I say having the vertigo?? If I am on the valuim I do "ok".. I can function to a point, the spinning vertigo isn't there but just an off-balance feeling. If I go off the valium then I am back to having the drop attacks. Also, if my ENG is normal is it possible that I don't even have MM? My ENT diagnosed me with MM 2 years ago and I started with the Gentamycin injections... 2 of the 3 gave me about a year of relief, the most recent injection was in June and that was only 4 months ago and I'm back to the attacks.

I am scheduled for an ECOG and Rotary Chair test on Thursday in Milwaukee which is a 4 1/2 hour ride for me.. will either of these tests help determine if I might have inner ear fluid that is flaring my MM up?? Does anybody know??

Any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

GinaMc

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I've heard that the ECOG is a better indicator, so it's good you are having it.

I had my tests a long time ago and I don't remember much about them, so I can't help with specifics.

3. GinaMc

Thanks Linda... any info at this point is so appreciated.. I guess I'm just lost trying to figure out what the next step is, I know that's the doctors job but it just seems like a week of this most recent attack has lasted a year.. im sure you can relate. thanks again
    GinaMc

4. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

GinaMc, you have made a very good point about your ear that has had gentamicin treatments. The whole point of that treatment is to ablate the vestibular organs without affecting the cochlear organ. Your ear which had the gentatamicin treatment should not have responded as a normal ear to the caloric test. It would be a good question to pose to your doctor. Joe

5. jrw

jrw New Member

Just to let you know, Gina, we have 4 of us here in Wisc. 2 of us saw Dr. Pyle at UW Madison and 2 have seen a doc in Minneapolis. We're from south of Madison, mid state, west side of the state, and Bayfield.

6. GinaMc

Thank you, if you could give me additional info on the doc you seen in madison i would appreciate it!

GinaMc