Exploring the Bible in 66 days.

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Titus, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

SONG OF SONGS

A wonderful book of poetry telling the love between a bridegroom and his bride. Written by Solomon (the groom) the poetry reminds of us of how strong love can be and how much God loves His church.

I am my lover's, and my lover is mine. He grazes among the lilies. Song of Songs 6:3

2. Titus

Titus New Member

ISAIAH

The prophet Isaiah wrote this book as a call to the nation of Judah to come back to God and to tell of God's salvation through the Messiah.

Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

When you meditate on the above verse, know that it was written about 700 years before the birth of Christ.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

JEREMIAH

The prophet Jeremiah was a messenger of God who had to speak some hard truth to Judah. He lived to see many of his prophecies come true, including the fall of Jerusalem.

Your own wickedness will punish you. You will see what an evil, bitter thing it is to forsake the Lord your God, having no fear of him. I, the Lord, the Lord Almighty, have spoken. Jeremiah 2:19

4. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

I've been sort of out of the swing of things for a couple of days--do you mind if I "catch up?"

Ecc. 4:9-10 "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
    "For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow; but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."

Song of Solomon 8:7 "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be contemned."

Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the goernment shall beupon his shoulder: and hisname shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

Jeremiah 31:3 The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee."

Willie Marie

5. Titus

Titus New Member

LAMENTATIONS

A book of prophecy, ritual, and wisdom, written my Jeremiah.

I have cried until the tears no longer come. My heart is broken, my spirit poured out, as I see what has happened to my people. Little children and tiny babies are fainting and dying in the streets. Lamentations 2:11

6. Titus

Titus New Member

EZEKIEL

This book announces God's judgment on Israel and other nations and foretells the eventual salvation of God's people.

For I will gather you up from all the nations and bring you home again to your land. Then I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you wil no longer worship idols. And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart. Ezekiel 36:24-26

7. Titus

Titus New Member

DANIEL

This book gives a historical account of the faithful Jews who lived in captivity. It was written about 536 B.C.

He reveals deep and mysterious things and knows what lies hidden in darkness though he himself is surrounded by light. Daniel 2:22

8. Titus

Titus New Member

HOSEA

The book of Hosea (a prophet) was written during the end of the prosperous but morally declining reign of Jeroboam II of Israel. The upper classes were doing well, but they were oppressing the poor.

Then the Lord said to me, Go and get your wife again. Bring her back to you and love her, even though she loves adultery. For the Lord still loves Israel even though the people have turned to other gods, offering them choice gifts. Hosea 3:1

9. Titus

Titus New Member

JOEL

This book urges the people of Judah to turn back to God.

That is why the Lord says, turn to me now, while there is time. Give me yur hearts. Come with fasting, weeping and mourning. Don't tear your clothing in your grief; instead, tear your hearts. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful. He is not easily angered. He is filled with kindness and is eager not to punish you. Joel 2:12-13

10. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Our God says, "give me your hearts. Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and merciful. He is not easily angered. He is filled with kindness and is eager not to punish."

Father, my heart I give you. Thank you for your grace and mercy.

11. Titus

Titus New Member

AMOS

This book pronounced God's judgement upon Israel, the northern kingdom, for its complacency, idolatry, and oppression of the poor.

Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, a river of righteous living that will never run dry. Amos 5:24

12. Titus

Titus New Member

OBADIAH

The author's name means servant of the Lord. The book was written to show that God judges those who have harmed his people.

The day is near when I, the Lord, will judge the godless nations. As you have done to Israel, so it will be dopne to you. All your evil deeds will fall back on your own heads. Obadiah 1:15

13. Titus

Titus New Member

JONAH

According to the Life Application Study Bible this book is different from the other prophetic books because it tells the story of the prophet and does not center on his prophecies. In fact, only one verse summarizes his message to the people of Nineveh. Jonah is a historical narrative. It is also mentioned by Jesus as a picture of his death and resurrection (Matthew 12:38-42).

But Nineveh has more than 120,000 people living in spiritual darkness, not to mention all the animals. Shouldn't I feel sorry for such a great city? 4:11

14. Titus

Titus New Member

MICAH

This book warns God's people that judgment is coming and offers pardon to all who repent

No, O people, the Lord has already told you what is good, and this is what he requires: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. 6:8

15. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Father, You have showed me what is good. You require that I do what is right, that I love mercy, and that I walk humbly with You. Jesus, what do you want to say to me about this passage?

Cathy, you do know what is right. Seek mercy. Please humble yourself. Before making a decision, ask Me. My Holy Spirit will answer you. Please do not act from your flesh but by My spirit. You will be rewarded on earth when you obey. You will feel My Spirit in you, and you will have peace.

(I love asking Jesus what He wants me to know about His Word. I then quiet myself and listen. I close my eyes and start to type. When I open them, I have many typo mistakes to correct. I love seeking Him this way.)

16. Titus

Titus New Member

It's such a blessing and so exciting to have the Spirit of God speak to us. I have been so distracted lately but when I'm still, I know that He is God.

17. Titus

Titus New Member

NAHUM

This book shows that God rules over all the earth, even over those who don't acknowledge him. God is all-powerful, and no one can thwart his plans. God will overcome any who attempt to defy him. Human power is futile against God.

The Lord is good. When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge. And he knows everyone who trusts in him. But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood. He pursues his foes into the darkness of night. Why are you scheming against the Lord? He will destroy you with one blow; he won't need to strike twice. 1:7-9

18. Titus

Titus New Member

HABAKKUK

This book shows that God is still in control.

I have heard all about you, Lord, and I am filled with awe by the amazing things you have done. In this time our deep need, begin again to help us. as you did in years gone by. Show us your power to save us. And in your anger, remember your mercy. 3:2

19. Titus

Titus New Member

ZEPHANIAH

This book was written to shake the people of Judah out of their complacency and urge them to return to God.

Beg the Lord to save you--all you who are humble, all you who uphold justice. Walk humbly and do what is right. Perhaps even yet the Lord will protectr you from his anger on that day of destruction. 2:3

20. Titus

Titus New Member

ZECHARIAH

Gives hope to God's people by revealing God's future deliverance through the Messiah

Rejoice greatly, O people of Zion! Shout in triumph, O people of Jerusalem! Look, your king is coming to you. He is righteous and victorious, yet he is humble riding on a donkey--even on a donkey's colt. Your kind will bring peace to the nations. His realm will stretch from sea to sea and from Euphrates River to the ends of the earth. 9:9-10