Exploring the Bible in 66 days.

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Titus, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Thank you for this thread Titus. I look forward to reading this one and the Billy Graham one everytime there is a new post.

2. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Yes, thank you Kim for posting this thread and the Billy Graham one.

Don't you love that the Old Testament pointed to Jesus. Well, the entire Bible points to Jesus. Who could doubt?

3. Titus

Titus New Member

Cathy, we had several posts last year that showed where Jesus was in every chapter in the bible. It was awesome. Before I accepted Jesus I could have read the bible (and did) till the cows came home and those revelations were not apparent. Having the Holy Spirit makes life so much better.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

MALACHI

The book confronts the people with their sins, and to restore their relationship with God.

The day of judgement is coming, burning like a furnace...But for you who fear my name the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture. 4:1-2

5. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Malachi: The book that is most quoted when it comes to tithing.

Yes, the day of judgment is coming soon. What do these mid-term elections mean to this country? Something to pray about.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

MATTHEW

This book was written to show the Jews that Jesus was their Messiah. Matthew was a Jewish tax collector who became one of Jesus' disciples.

Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them. 5:17

7. Cathy

Cathy New Member

A lot of people prefer the book of John, but my favorite gospel is Matthew. Maybe because I have read it more than any other book in the Bible. Do you ever have those times when you say, "I am going to read the Bible from cover to cover; let me start with the New Testament." It is not long before I am flipping to this book or that book.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

Yes, Cathy, I know exactly what you mean. Jesus is in every book in the bible and reading one passage leads to another. The Holy Spirit can direct us to just the right place we need to be.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

MARK

Mark accompanied Paul on his first missionary journey. He wrote this Gospel to introduce the person, work, and teachings of Jesus.

For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many. 10:45

10. Titus

Titus New Member

LUKE

Luke was a doctor and Gentile Christian. He was close with Paul. Luke was written to present an accurate account of the life of Christ.

That night some sheperds were in the fields outside the village, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord's glory surrounded the. They were terribly frightened, but the angel reaswsured them. "Don't be afraid, I bring you good news of great joy for everyone! The Savior--yes, the Messiah, the Lord--has been born tonight in Bethlehem, the city of David". 2:8-12

11. Cathy

Cathy New Member

In the current issue of Charisma magazine, there is a great article on the movie: The Miracle of the Nativity. In the article, they give some myths and facts about the Christmas story. This scripture in Luke reminded me of this:

Myth: Jesus was born on December 25.
    Fact: "Considering the description of the events surrounding His birth, this date seems improbable. It would have been too cold at that time of year for shepherds to be living out in the fields and keeping watch other their flocks, especially at night. The date was chosen by the early church fathers to replace a pagan festival that celebrated the annual return of the sun - the time of year when the days began to grow longer - with a Christian holy day."

12. Titus

Titus New Member

JOHN

John, the apostle, wrote this book to show that Jesus is the Son of God and He is the way to eternal life with the Father.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. 3:16

13. Cathy

Cathy New Member

My Father loves me so much that He gave His only Son to die for me so I might know His love.

Jack Frost, "Experiencing Father's Embrace"

14. Titus

Titus New Member

ACTS

Luke wrote this book to give an account of the bir5th and growth of the Christian church. One of the key points of this book is that the Holy Spirit dwells in all believers.

Now Peter and John went up together ato the temple at the hour of prayer, bthe ninth hour. 2 And ca certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, dto 1ask alms from those who entered the temple; 3 who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. 4 And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, “Look at us.” 5 So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. 6 Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: eIn the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” 7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 So he, fleaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 gAnd all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10 Then they knew that it was he who hsat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

The New King James Version. 1996, c1982 (Ac 3:1-11). Thomas Nelson: Nashville

15. Cathy

Cathy New Member

One of Steve's favorite stories in the Bible.

16. Titus

Titus New Member

Cathy, It's my favorite. It illustrates the power of the Holy Spirit in us. I memorized it in the Old King James version. It was powerful, for me, as a new Christian because it reminded me of how close we can still be to God, even as Jesus sits at His right hand. He told us He would send us the Holy Spirit!

17. Titus

Titus New Member

ROMANS

Paul wrote Romans to give a sample of his message before he arrived in Rome. The book presents a Statement in Faith.

Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. 5:1

18. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Thank You, Father, for making me right in Your sight. Thank You for the peace You give me because of what Your Son has done for me.

19. Titus

Titus New Member

1 Corinthians

Paul's purposeful letter to the Corinthian church was sent to teach the believers how to live for Christ in a corrupt society.

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 13: 4-7

20. Titus

Titus New Member

2 Corinthians

Another letter Paul wrote to the church in Corinth.

We ae Christ's ambassadors, and God is using us to speak to you. We urge you, as though Christ huimself were here pleading with you. Be reconciled to God. 5:20