Giving anti-virals a try

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nicmger, Apr 19, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. nicmger

nicmger New Member

So I am going to give anti-virals a try. My doctor is not open to "new" things (thus until I find a doctor who will cooperate I can't think about trying the SS protocol) but fortunately Dr Gacek is taking me on. I will start my prescription tomorrow and hope to experience improvement!

Wish me luck!

If anyone on antivirals has any advice, suggestions or thoughts on what I should watch for I would definitely appreciate hearing them!

2. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Good Luck! My advice would be, if you are taking acyclovir, make sure to spread them throughout the day. If you are taking valcylovir I am sorry the only advice I can give for that is, if you don't tolerate it well, don't give up..try the acyclovir, that is what happened to me.

Fingers and toes crossed for you!

3. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Thanks Vicki. It is Valacylovir that was prescribed so I will reach out to the doctor to request switching to the other if this one isn't tolerated well.

I think the difficulty that I have will be understanding the difference between what is a reaction to the med versus a "normal" Meniere's symptom. This darn thing is so unpredictable!

4. Donamo

Donamo Guest

Congrats! I hope it works for you. Don't be surprised if you feel worse before you get better. My own, uneducated opinion is that the dosage has to remain higher for longer than the prescription generally is for. There are ways to accomplish that later if you need to.

5. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to get into my doctor soon to discuss the SS protocol as well...or at least get the blood work done to understand if mine shows indications that the protocol will work for me.

Good luck on your journey!

6. MD1

MD1 New Member

I am gong to talk to my ENT Dr about Anti-viral treatment. I am equipped with printout from 'Anti-viral Database' threads. Hope I could convince him.

7. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I hope you get a script for AV's MD1 and I hope if helps you. Good luck!

8. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Good luck. From what I have read there is no real "harm" in taking them so the biggest question for the doctor is "why not"! :)

9. deadeye

deadeye New Member

How long have you had the beast? The longer you've had it the higher the dose you may need. I tried them 3 times before I found out. Give it a chance,several mths. Good luck

10. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Going on 3 yrs. Not as long as some; too long for me! LOL I am on 3x1000mg for the next 3 weeks, then in theory down to 2x1000mg but was told to check in towards the end of the first few weeks with an update.

I think the hardest part for me is that if I am feeling better....is it the A/V or is it "just because". The randomness of this thing is crazy!

11. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I would think if you are feeling better for a substantial amount of time then it would most likely be the AV's, not a remission. But having said that having set backs while starting AV's is not uncommon.

12. nicmger

nicmger New Member

I wouldn't disagree except for - for the first time since diagnosis - I went from April '13 - Oct '13 without any issues; then Nov was not good; Dec'13 - March '14 no issues; April has been an issue. So I have been fortunate the past year with some long periods of hiatus "just because". Which I will take and appreciate!

13. angrychicken

angrychicken New Member

From what I have gathered from folks on this board, and from my own experience is that change - any change - is a good sign on anti virals. For me the noticeable changes had to do with dramatic changes in the frequency of my tinnitus as well as the periodic nature of my symptoms. I had a very regular "cycle" before the anti-virals, then once I was on them everything became completely unpredictable, and was at it's worst right before I got relief.

14. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Just started day #5 on the a/v. So far so good. No vertigo, no off balance. I have been getting a few hours each day of significantly increased ringing in the ear, then it goes back to a low consistent sound. That is new for me so perhaps that is a good sign that the a/v is doing something!

15. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Sounds good so far! Fingers crossed you continue to improve :)

16. MD1

MD1 New Member

I have been taking Acyclovir for last 4 days, ringing is increased considerably, However no vertigo/lightheadness. My Dr has prescribed me a month supply of Acyclovir (3 * 800mg) and scheduled an appointment with hearing test to evaluate the progress. If there is an improvement ,then I can continue on it. Hope to see some progress.

17. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Good luck! MD I hope you continue to be vertigo and dizzy free.

18. nicmger

nicmger New Member

MD1 - is your doctor going to decide if the a/v are working based on how YOU feel or by the hearing test? If based on the hearing test, I would ask the others here on the a/v if hearing improved on a/v? And if so, did they that quickly??

19. MD1

MD1 New Member

Thanks Vicki.

My Dr was very reluctant to prescribe AV for me. I could convince him with copy of some of the materials from this forum.
    However he wants to see there is some positive affect after a month, It could be progress in hearing and/or the vertigo.

I am not sure the affect is measurable in a month .

20. deadeye

deadeye New Member

give it time and consider your dosage depending on how long you've had M I tried a/v's twice for a month without any luck went back and got on them for several months and a higher dosage throughout the day and have reduced symptoms can cope and enjoy life better