Gonna make Gumbo

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by karenlr, Sep 16, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. karenlr

karenlr New Member

My daughter made Gumbo the other afternoon but it was too spicy, so this weekend I am going to go get the goods and make a batch of Gumbo.
    I have one of the biggest pots that they sell at Walmart and I'm go to fill that dude up.
    It will take about 2 gallons of broth, 2 whole chickens and a bunch of other goodies, but this should be fun! It should take about 4 hours to make and another 2 hours to simmer.

2. pardonme

pardonme Guest

3. karenlr

karenlr New Member

I will have to tackle Ariel and get my papers back she took my receipe the other day to make some for friends.
    I will translate it onto word and then copy and paste it here.
    SSShhhh don't tell anyone else, it's our secret! lol It's Chicken and Hot sausage Gumbo.
    Do you have a place you can get file?

4. trippen1999

trippen1999 New Member

i live in new orleans and have a really good recipe for gumbo if you would like it

5. karenlr

karenlr New Member

Heck yeah! We make a mean Chicken and Hot sausage gumbo here.

6. tm53

tm53 New Member

I so miss Gumbo. Lo sodium? Had to ask.....

7. amberini

amberini New Member

LOVE gumbo. Used to have it every Friday when I live in NO

8. karenlr

karenlr New Member

I dont add a lot of salt to much of anything anymore, I take what is called out and cut it back. It does have file and lots of veggies and the hot sausage adds a lot of flavor. A good Gumbo takes a while to make, almost 3 hours of prep time alone, but the rewards are really nice!

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I've made the gumbo before (yeah, the prep time is tireing) but added shrimp as well as the chix and sausage. After I put all the ingredients together, I baked it for about an hour at 300 degrees. Awsome!! But, sadly not my own recipie...

10. trippen1999

trippen1999 New Member

Sorry away so long. Yes it is low sodium. I will go dig it up and post it for you guys today. I promise lol.

11. June-

June- New Member

Still waiting for the recipe!

12. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Oops! nevermind - it was Jambalaya. But it was still good!