gourmet salts

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by ttcc415, Aug 23, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. ttcc415

ttcc415 New Member

Has anyone tried any of the salts on this website? http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/gourmet-salts
    If so, do they also have the bitter/metallic taste?

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

When I was diagnosed with MM a thousand years ago, I think I had 9 different types of gourmet salt in my cupboard!!! :eek: :D

Unfortunately - salt is salt. The "gourmet" versions are usually forms of harvested sea salt, which - to me - has a better "natural" flavor than regular Mortons salt in the cannister, which has added anti-caking ingredients. There are many other ways of harvesting these salts as well.

Each version of a gourmet salt has its place in cooking. Some forms have larger crystals, which have a different feel on the tongue. Salts with added minerals may have a different taste, but all - IMO - taste MUCH better than table salt.

If you are certain that sodium is a trigger for you, then sorry....gourmet salt is the same sodium you must avoid.

But if it's not a trigger, then go ahead and experiment!!! There should be a good variety of gourmet salts at the grocers....try one!