Had A Hearing Test Today

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Vicki615, May 7, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

The audiologist was very pleased. My hearing did not change at all since last year. I do not have typical Meniere's hearing lost, loss moderate in mid tones.
    Back ground noise is louder for me than someone speaking in front of me, which makes it difficult to understand conversations in a restaurant etc.

Two Interesting things did happen during the testing. First test she did she called the quiet test and she said I might feel some pressure. My good ear felt fine when she put the apparatus in my ear but when she put it in my MM ear I had strong pressure pain. She said my middle ear has pressure in it due to allergies.
    Which is interesting I was always certian I have seasonal allergies by my tearing eyes, runny nose and April & May= Vertigo months for me, before I started taking AV's.
    But I don't test positive for them on allergy tests
    The pollen count must be high in my area today because I need an extra dose of AV this morning, I did not feel like vertigo coming on but definitely felt a little unbalanced at times this morning so took an extra AV this morning.

Second thing that was interesting, when I went into that room for the rest of the tests, the first ear she did was my MM ear and I was to raise my hand when I heard any sound no matter how softly I heard it. The very last tone she played in that part of the test, made me deaf in that ear, my hearing totally cut off and then turned into horrible high pitched tinnitus. Then it passed quickly within a minute or 2 as she was sending tones to my other ear.

I told her about that and she said it was high frequency or high pitched tone. ( I don't recall exactly how she said it)

I am glad my hearing didn't get worse. She will be mailing me the results.

2. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

That's great, Vicki, that your hearing has remained stable. I just posted on the "Sudafed" thread regarding my conversation with the ENT. He told me the primary reason for eustachian tube dysfunction, which causes negative pressure in the middle ear, is allergies.

3. Donamo

Donamo Guest

Yes vicki, I was just going to ask you if you take any allergy meds?

4. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Thanks Kennedy and Domano no but I did take an antihistamine a few years ago and it affected my blood pressure in a bad way.
    But I can tolerate benedryl, I take that when I get break out in hives, I tend to break out in hives now and then and I do have an allergy to shrimp.
    I might try taking it when I feel the allergies are affecting my MM (I carry the liquid with me due to my food allergy and an epi pen ofc)

5. recentlydizzy

recentlydizzy New Member

Wonderful news Vicki! We have the allergy thing in common. I swear I have seasonal allergies but nothing showed up on my scratch tests. O yeah my hearing test was "stone cold normal" at my last ENT visit but it wasn't a great test some things was left out as compared to another test I had. So the ENT said well Atypical Meniere's but because onset of symptoms was so very recent we are doing the watch and see thing. For the record I have flonase and clariton by script. They wouldn't say I didn't have allergies but thank god I don't have to do the injections. Those bastages are very expensive $600 every six months and no guarantees it will work. I would not say it if it wasn't true but in my case 1tsp of Honey a day has helped.

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Thanks recentlydizzy :) So glad your hearing is normal! From angrychickens post Dr. Gacek says "if the virus is active on the “brain end” you suffer from the vertigo without the hearing loss. If it is active on the other end you suffer from the hearing loss / fullness etc. without the vertigo. If it is active on both ends, you suffer from all of the symptoms"

So if your MM is viral in cause that could be why you do not have hearing loss.

I believe you about honey, it is a remarkable food. I have used it recently when feeling like I am coming down with a cold or virus and after 2 or 3 days of eating honey the cold doesn't seem to bloom.