Help! Need Some Low Salt Lunch Suggestions

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by CdnTBear, Dec 4, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. captainsaffi

captainsaffi New Member

That "I can't believe it's not butter" spray is AWESOME on home-made popcorn with nutritional yeast (also called "brewer's yeast"). It tastes like cheddar cheese popcorn and has like no sodium at all.

2. captainsaffi

captainsaffi New Member

Trader Joes has no salt added pinto beans in a can and instant brown rice that comes in these little microwavable bags. It's awesome! You just poke a little hole in the bag and pop in the micro at work! Mix in the beans and you have a complete protein that very tasty and very healthy. Sometimes I add salt-free cottage cheese to the mix and a little salsa. Very filling, very easy.

3. burd

burd New Member

If you are prone to migraine activity, or are suspicious your meniere's symptoms might be more of a migraine/MAV thing, pay attention to how you feel for about 24 hours after eating anything with nutritional yeast. It is a migraine trigger for many, it's related to MSG.

4. burd

burd New Member

I have recently discovered Beelor English Style Ham, and Organic Prairie ham. Both are nitrite/nitrate free, and are considerably lower in sodium than regular deli cuts. I am excited to try other products by these companies, also with Niman Ranch (the best bacon in the world, and low-so), and Applegate Farms (they make fantastic low-so hotdogs without nitrates/nitrates!)

5. joy

joy New Member

Does organic stuff tend to be nitrite/nitrate free?

6. captainsaffi

captainsaffi New Member

More often than not, that's the case, but you should check first, because it's not a requirement.