Helpful Info for Newbies

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by Taximom5, Apr 23, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Sholly

Sholly New Member

Taximom, thanks so much for your very comprehensive helpful info for newbies. I have learned so much from this website.

2. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

GOOD HEAVENS!!! :eek:

I only just realized that I somehow ENTIRELY left out PapaJoe's info on fungal infections and their possible association with inner ear disorders.

I've corrected this (finally). :)

3. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

TM... I noticed that on the classic symptoms of Meniere's that you left our fullness/pressure.

4. Sholly

Sholly New Member

Fullness/pressure is the symptom I most detest--but then, I have not suffered that terrible vertigo symptom as of yet. Hope I can keep it at bay with JOH.

5. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Sholly:

be forever grateful you have not had vertigo, I woul not wish it on my own worst enemy.

Good luck with joh

6. Sholly

Sholly New Member

Bulldogs,
    I am sooo grateful I have not experienced vertigo--sounds like a freaking nightmare. I do worry I may yet develop it, and pray that I don't. Thanks for your good luck wishes regarding joh.

7. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Yikes! Thanks for pointing that out--on it!

8. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

While I have not been as plagued with that debilitating rotational vertigo that many of you undergo as frequently as you have undergone it ... I do know that it is the most helpless feeling, like something has just come and possessed your body and all you can do is wait till it's over ... pray that you don't just keel over in the process. You won't keel over, but it doesn't feel that way when you're enduring it.

9. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

For me, vertigo is the worst symptoms and gratefully I don't have the puking kind (crossing fingers that I never get that part) but I do get extremely nauseous along with the other stuff.

My second worst symptoms is when I am in a cycle of Hyperacusis. :p

10. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

11. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Here are more studies on B12 deficiency:

A more recent study, http://www.lib.okayama-u.ac.jp/www/acta/pdf/60_2_107.pdf concludes: Vitamin C, vitamin E and vita- min B12 could suppress the decrease in the hepatic glycogen contents in rats exposed to 95 or 110 dB of noise, a finding which suggests that the administra- tion of these vitamins could alleviate the harmful effects of noise. Little is known about the molecular responses to high-intensity noise exposure, but Cho et al. (2004) reported on gene expression under experimental conditions [16]. Gene expression anal- ysis including the use of DNA microarray technology could clarify a mechanism for reducing the harmful effects of noise exposure.

http://www.b12patch.com/blog/importance-of-b12/b12-and-tinnitus/ shows a link between B12 and age-related hearing loss:
    The Journal of Nutrition recently published a report which proves a correlation between hearing loss, levels of folate, and levels of homocysteine, an amino acid which occurs with vitamin B12 deficiency and is linked to increased risk for heart attack and age related hearing loss.

The study, which took place in the University of Sydney, Australia, focused on approximately 3,000 elderly individuals:

"Participants received blood tests which measured levels of folate and vitamin B12; also measured were their homocysteine levels.
    A folate vitamin deficiency in senior citizens aged 50 and over accounted for a 35% increased risk for age related hearing loss.
    Individuals who had high homocysteine levels were 64% more likely to suffer age related hearing loss than others who did not have vitamin B12 deficiency."

(I couldn't add these to the original post because it would have exceeded the character limit.)

12. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Good stuff!

13. jaypr

jaypr New Member

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks taximom. Food intolerance is mentioned early on in the thread but generally only covers gluten intolerance. I have been on the whole journey with menieres or whatever I've had or still have. I was diagnosed with menieres, had bppv,dizziness,vertigo and vomiting, cervicogenic vertigo, totally deaf in my left ear, no tinitus thankfully but still have fullness,drop attacks, history of shingles and stress and by my own diagnosis MAV.

My experience with food intolerance or triggers is if I avoid certain foods and drinks I can and do live a normal life, apart from the fullness and hearing loss. In order to live my normal life which includes regular exercise I avoid all alcohol and caffeine based drinks, caffeine but do drink decaf tea. MSG, gravies, sauces,boullions,soy sauce, peas, beans, bananas,orange juice and many more. If I stray and consume any of the above I will pay for it by degrees depending upon how much I have eaten.

I am biased but I believe that if more people followed the "heal your headache" migraine diet there would be more success stories similar to mine. David Buchholz the author believes that menieres is in fact migraine and should be treated as such.

My success in controlling my symptoms only came about by joining menieres.org. So I owe alot to the likes of Taximom who goes out of her way to help everyone and in particular to have a thread such as this for newbies to save alot of time and suffering. Of course not forgetting Solari who makes menieres.org possible.

14. jaypr

jaypr New Member

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Great thread, I hope it gets a lot of attention!

16. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I edited the original post to include a mention of migraine and Buchholz's book. Please feel free to add more about the book, either here or on a separate thread (that I can then link in the OP). I am running up against the character limit in the OP, so I didn't have room to go into detail.

17. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Good job! I'm reading!

Keep up the good work, I think it kind of gives you a purpose, and that's a good thing in my book!

G