Holidays coming up....recipe swap

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by DizzYoli, Oct 21, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. DizzYoli

DizzYoli New Member

The holidays are coming up. Anyone got any wonderful baking ideas? I would love to swap one family treasure for another.

Yoli

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Yoli - sounds like fun!!!

On my way out right now...lemme think on this a bit! ::)

3. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Ooooo, this is a great idea! Thanks for starting it!!! I'll have to dig some out and post! :) Thanks again!

Sheryl

4. AaronsMom

AaronsMom New Member

I go over to my Mom's & help with the holiday cooking. I am watching to see if anyone post something I can make & take over to suprise her!!

5. Sally Forth

Sally Forth Guest

These are not necessarily good for you, but they are quite tasty, different and look really pretty on a plate of dainties or just by themselves. They've been made in my family for decades.

Pastel Cream Wafers

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups butter, divided
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    2 cups sugar
    2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    food colouring

Directions

Combine flour, one cup butter and cream; mix well. Chill for one hour.

Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick; cut out cookies with a 1-1/2 inch round cookie cutter. I use one that has serated edges. Carefully dip both sides of cookies into sugar; place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Pierce cookies lightly across top with a fork.

Bake at 375 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes. Cool completely.

Beat remaining butter for 30 seconds; gradually beat in powdered sugar, and vanilla. Divide frosting into batches and colour with food colouring. Sandwich cookies in pairs with frosting.

6. Pluto

Pluto New Member

I kinda go for plain old meat and taters........ and all the other stuff too....... ;D

7. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Sally, holidays are not time for dieting. ;)

8. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

Noah's Ark Fruit Salad

2 Pears. cored and diced
    2 apples, cored and diced
    2 handsfulls seedless grapes, halved
    2 handsfulls ripe cherries, pitted and halved
    2 ripe peaches, pitted and diced
    2 apricots, pitted and diced
    2 ripe plums, pitted and diced
    2 Bananas, peeled and cut into rounds
    2 small cans mandarin oranges in juice
    2 oranges, pitted, peeled and cut into small chunks
    2 cups either blueberries or raspberries, whole.
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups ginger ale
    2 cups water
    1/2 bottle sweet red wine (Taylor's New York State Port is best)
    2 cups chopped pecans.

Place the ginger ale in a LARGE container. Pour in the sugar and stir until it dissolves (it will fizz up). Add 2 cups water. Add all chopped fruits and berries. Pour chopped pecans on top, add wine over top. Lightly toss. Depending on how much fruit you used, you may need to add more ginger ale, a bit more red wine, and some more water until fruit is just covered. Adjust so mixture is lightly sweet, with a hint of wine. This stuff it GREAT, but my mom was born into a large family (12 brothers and sisters) so it makes quite a lot! Fortunately, it gets better after being in the fridge for a few days and soaking up the wine/ginger ale. :)

9. DizzYoli

DizzYoli New Member

This recipe is a much loved on and has been past on through my husband side of the family for years. The first year my husband and I lived together, his mother sent this to us. It arrived right after Thanksgiving. It survived being mailed beautifully and required no refrigeration. My husband had a slice. The cake sat covered on the counter until almost Christmas. Through out that month, I ate it a piece at a time. I ate it all.

The recipe is forgiving. The flavor seems to get better the longer it sits. One year I had a serious brain fart and added a pound of butter. The texture was much lighter. This is not for those on a diet.

Coconut Brunch Bread/Cake

4 eggs
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp. coconut flavoring
    3 cups sifted flour
    ½ tsp. soda
    ½ tsp. baking powder
    ½ tsp. salt
    1-cup buttermilk dry or wet
    1 cup flaked coconut
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Coconut syrup *see bottom

Preheat oven at 320 degrees.
    Beat eggs well and then add the sugar, vegetable oil and coconut flavoring. Make sure to blend well. Sift flour, soda, baking powder, and salt. Alternate adding buttermilk and the dry ingredients into the egg mixture**. Blend well after each addition. Fold in coconut and nuts. Pour into greased and floured 10 inch bunt pan. Bake at 320 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Pour hot coconut syrup over cake immediately after removing from the oven. Let stand 4 hrs before removing from pan.

*Coconut syrup:
    In saucepan combine 1-cup sugar, ½ cup water, and 2 tbs. Butter. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. Coconut flavoring.

** Dry buttermilk: Sift in the powdered buttermilk with the dry ingredients. Then use the water called for to alternate with dry ingredients, to add to egg mixture.

10. deercharmer1

Shining and Yoli - YUM!!!

This is not a family heirloom recipe, but one that I recently got from a Bible Study sister. This is NOT diet-friendly, but it IS super easy!!! :D :D :D

Caramel Cinnamon Pull-Aparts

2 cans “Grands” biscuits
    2 cubes butter
    1 ½ cups brown sugar
    1 cup vanilla ice cream
    Cinnamon sugar for topping

Separate biscuits and cut each one into six pieces. Place pieces into buttered 9x13 pan.

(All the pieces may not fit….you may want to put the extras - with a little sauce - in a small pan.)

In a saucepan, bring butter and brown sugar to a boil, stirring well. Add 1 cup vanilla ice cream and bring to a boil again, stirring well.

Remove from heat, and pour sauce over biscuit pieces in pan, making sure each piece is well covered.

Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over all to make a nice crusty top.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

11. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Holy Cow...I think I gained 10 pounds just reading these recipes! :D They sound soooo yummy...I just have to remember to find a good one and post something!

12. Sally Forth

Sally Forth Guest

Good point, gardenfish. :)

Yoli and Shining ...I am going to try your recipes and I don't even celebrate the holidays! They both sound delicious. Thanks!

13. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

14. deercharmer1

Wow!!! Cool site, Donna June!!! :D

15. joy

joy New Member

Come on ... don't stop now. I have a Sunday School "Christmas Tea" comin up next month. Need some recipes for simple stuff (for simple me) that doesn't take a lot of time to make. I'm gonna make some coconut macaroons 'cause I have a recipe for them & have made them successfully in the past.

What about this microwave fudge I always read about? Is it really that easy? Is it any good??

16. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

http://eaglebrand.com/Default.aspx

I love this site....it has easy fudge recipes...and the other recipes are just...well....YUMMY! :)

17. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies

Ingredients
    1 cup butter, softened
    1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons cherry juice
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1/2-3/4 cup chopped or crushed maraschino cherry
    1 cup granulated or decorator sugar (as needed)
    12 ounces Hershey's chocolate kisses or Hershey's Hugs chocolates (1 per cookie)

Directions
    1 Beat butter, add sugar and salt. Beat in cherry liquid and almond extract. Beat in flour. Fold in cherries.
    2 Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes (you don't have to, but dough is easier to work with when cold).
    3 Roll dough into balls, coat in sugar and place on cookie sheet. These cookies will flatten on their own, but I typically put a thumb print in the center to flatten some.
    4 Bake at 325 degrees for 14 minutes. Let cool on pan for 1-2 minutes.
    5 Add Hershey Kiss/Hug to center of the cookies. (Hugs melt especially fast, you may want to let the cookies cool a little longer before adding Hugs, but cookies should still be warm so chocolate can melt into the cookie).
    6 Transfer to wire rack to cool.

18. DizzYoli

DizzYoli New Member

Yummy in the tummy! I am drooling over these recipes. Here is a simple one for the coffee and sweets aspect of the holidays. My parents always brewed coffee and had "pan dulce" or sweet breads available for guests who were dropping by.

Cafe de Olla is a traditionaly a Mecian version of coffee with chocolate. This is an Americanized version and was given to me by a friend.

1 can Evaporated Milk
    Equal parts water
    Cinnamon sticks
    1 tablet Mexican chocolate...Abuelita or Ibarra's are the dominant brands in the US. The chocolate is spiced and sugared.
    Coffee

Add the evaporated milk, equal parts water, and cinnamon sticks to a pot with a lid. Cover and simmer on as low heat as possible, for about 20 minutes. Longer if you want more cinnamony taste. About ten minutes into the simmering start your pot of coffee.

Once you are through simmering the milk mixture, remove the cinnamon sticks. Add in the whole tablet of Mexican chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is disovled.

In a mug add in prefered amount of coffee and chocolate. I found that most people prefer to set up the coffee with things that they prefer...milk, cream, sugar, etc. prior to adding in the chocolate. It is a highly personalized drink.

Keep it on low low heat or reheat as people come through on the holidays and serve with sweets. This is also a lazy morning favorite. Stay home, savor the coffee and do nothing but read the paper.

Enjoy!
    Yoli

19. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

I tried those cherry choc. kiss cookies. OMG! They are great. I love cherries; real and marascino. And of course I love chocolate. Goodies aren't goodies without chocolate in the recipe.

From the north pole link I posted earlier, those Andies Candies cookies are great. Everyone at every age loves them; coming back for 2nds and 3rds. Also the chocolate walnut fudge crumb bars get great reviews.

I also make Raspberry Meringue Kisses with fudge filling. Not easy to make but anyway....

3 egg whites (save 2 of the egg yolks for the Fudge Filling)
    3 1/3 Tbsp. raspberry Jello
    3/4 C. sugar
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vinegar

Mix Jello & sugar together in a small bowl & set aside. Beat egg white & salt at high speed of mixer until foamy. Gradually add Jello mixture to egg whites. Beat at high speed until peaks form & sugar is dissolved. Beat in vinegar. Drop from a teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet that is covered with brown paper. (I use cut-up paper shopping bags). Make small craters in each meringue with the back of the teaspoon. This will take some finesse. Bake meringues at 250 degrees F. for 25 minutes. Turn off oven & leave meringues in hot oven for 20 more minutes. Allow meringues to cool before removing them from paper.

While the meringues are in the oven, make the Fudge Filling:
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup chocolate bits
    2 egg yolks
    2 Tbsp. powdered sugar

Melt butter & chocolate bits in saucepan. In a small bowl, beat 2 egg yolks slightly & stir powdered sugar into them. Blend egg yolk mixture into chocolate mixture. Cook at a very low heat for 1 minute; stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir until smooth & cool. Fill meringue 'craters' with a teaspoonful of Fudge Filling. Sprinkle pistachio nuts on top of the Filling in the meringues, if desired.

Can't remember how many it makes; about 3 or 4 dozen.

20. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Why not cheat and buy some goodies for the holidays?

www.harrylondon.com Harry London's Irish cremes, coffee flavored candies, and turtles are delectable. Really, everything they make is great.

www.swissmaidfudge.com Haven't tried their stuff, but saw it on "The Balancing Act" this am.