How many different kinds of drugs do you take?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by hollymm, Dec 9, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earshurt

earshurt New Member

You should disagree if you see that it is inaccurate. If you participated in a debate of specific facts on specific illness, their treatments, and the aspects specifically of why they work or don't work I would welcome it. I might learn something from you and I would welcome that. Doing so in carte blanche manner serves nobody. Of course different substances of all manner can be dangerous. I don't consider that much of a revelation.

This started because I suggested she consult two pharmacists. Ok you are right. Its a bad idea. I stand corrected. She should not consult two pharmacists. Life is too short to consider your illness a "full time job" in order to stay alive if you are critically ill. Taking the time to consult more than one pharmacists is crazy.

My time is more valuable than this. Games are not interesting to me. Readers with critical thinking skills know the difference. They know disruption from information.
    ----------------------------------------

Same goes here Imnoscientist. I welcome good intentioned debate. There is no flap. I try to stay specific. If people refuse to address specifics then they just do. Notice that the messages above was referred to as "too long to read". Interesting. This is not important enough for me to continue. I have someone on my instant messanger right now that is trying to talk to me about a health problem they have and it is much more important than this frankly.

2. earshurt

earshurt New Member

The childs parents told me of the child's progress. If you consider that they lie then you just do.

3. June-

June- New Member

Imnoscientist makes a good point. Just like it is a GOOD idea to consult multiple professionals such as pharmacists, it is a GOOD idea to hear dissenting voices on 'facts' presented on this forum. Then the intelligent people can consider all the points of view and make their informed decision. If they only hear one point of view, and second opinions are considered confrontational (why, because they spoke second?) then people will have less perspective on any subject under discussion.

4. ConfusedNAnnoyed

ConfusedNAnnoyed New Member

I take L Lysine 3000mg-4000mg in 3-4 seperate doses daily, Vitamin C, Zinc Citrate 15mg, Copper 2mg, Fish Oil 1000mgs daily, Lutein 20mg once a week. I started experimenting early 2010 with different vitamins, I got this back in 2008 it wasn't until Dec 2009 that I found this site and started taking L Lysine. L Lysine, Zinc, Copper, Vitamin C are the key vitamins in fighting the herpes virus if that's what's causing it in your case. Other vitamins may be useful but I've found taking these are all I need to keep things from being as bad as they were. I still have symptoms but no were as bad as they once were. I hope another year goes by and things get even better by taking these vitamins for the rest of my life.

5. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I agree June and thanks for mentioning that.

I"m on record many times saying so in this forum but I won't cite them all. Some people don't want other people to have an opinion if it does not jive with theirs. Some people are too closed minded to come with the facts and instead they make fun of people that cannot afford the latest and greatest mainstream medicine has to offer. Some people need alternative approaches because its all they can resort to. To diss treatments some people like Holly may be able to use disses Holly at the same and it should be unacceptable.

6. June-

June- New Member

You don't have to answer all dissenting opinions. As you said, rely on the intelligence of the reader to evaluate having been given two or more points of view.

7. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I'm not dragging Holly into this. Its about poor people period. Attacking poor people's medicine of choice because you can obviously afford all that modern medicine has to offer is something that I find unnecessary. All of us don't have the luxuries that you do.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

I'm just jumping in to answer Holly's question.

Remeron - depression
    Valium & meclizine - dizziness (I use both as needed). The Valium also helps relax muscles (car accident disc damage)
    Xanax - because it makes me feel good.......less anxious
    Aciphex - reflux (as needed)
    Sectral - heart arrhythmia
    compounded topical pain med for muscle pain (as needed), pain patches, as needed, Tylenol, as needed

Magnesium, calcium, CoQ10, D, B-Complex, Flaxoil, DHA, Evening Primrose Oil

9. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Actually, I think you've hit on something here--I think there has been a lot of "dissing" and making fun of those who follow a non-mainstream-medical approach. But if you look closely, often those who resort to dissing and making fun of an approach have to resort to that because they have no valid criticism to make of what they're dissing.

It's an old tactic, and often works very well to fan the flames of an argument that draws attention away from the original discussion.

Personally, I think those who can't afford the latest that mainstream medicine has to offer (for the most part, but not for everything!) are usually better off. I just read that, according to 2009 statistics, the average child has 4 different prescriptions filled every year; the average senior citizen--FOURTEEN. That's downright scary.

10. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

On this we are in agreement - we are both well intentioned. We both want people to be well, to not have unneccessary side effects and not spend a fortune in achieving that health. Where we differ is that you see an enemy in 'Big Pharma'. I don't. I don't advocate for 'Big Pharma' but nor do I see meds as toxic evil. I see them as sometimes necessary and effective.

I won't address specifics with you because quite frankly you have posted so many herbs and spices for so many conditions I wouldn't know where to start. I haven't criticized your advocacy of any of those things. I've simply expressed a little concern at your obvious bias against anything 'Big Pharma' and unquestioning support and advocay for anything herbal.

Quite frankly, if you don't want any views other than your own then you might want to consider taking your spiels to PMs. If you put it on a public board, expect public comment.

11. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

And how would you describe the language earhurts has used to describe Big Pharma? I'd say he "disses" it quite a bit. Is that sort of language only OK when applied to Big Pharma and doctors and pharmacists? What about the language in earhurts' signature block - the tiniest bit patronising?

Doctors punch time clocks with prescription pads. Pharmacists cannot write scrips and they put pills in bottles, doctors can write scrips and do not have to fill bottles. True Physicians look for root cause of illness. Prescribing drugs is not practicing medicine. Society has confused the two

12. earshurt

earshurt New Member

If it is annoying. Done. I'll delete my sig.

13. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Based on my own experience with physicians, it's not patronizing. It's fact.

I have a friend who is in family practice. He has complained for years that patients come to him expecting and even often DEMANDING a prescription to make them feel better, for stupid little things like colds, coughs, normal virus stuff. Often, they demand antibiotics. He says he has lost more business for NOT writing prescriptions, not only from patients who then go find a physician with a freer hand with the prescription pad, but also from the insurance companies, who give bonuses based on how many prescriptions he writes within their formularies. Oh, and he gets a bonus for each vaccine, too.

14. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Actually what you are describing here is anecdote and hearsay, not fact. But everyone's Truth is valid in the post modern world so you have your Truth, I have mine.

15. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

Once again, THIS IS NOT A DEBATE FORUM.

Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.