How many of you had a Flu Shot right before your Meniere's attack?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by bubbagump, Apr 15, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

Been reading a lot about the immune system, and came across a lot of info and research about how flu shots can screw with your immune system and leave you more prone to infections, etc. This is not just one article, but TONS of information out there.

For me, I got my first flu shot ever in my life about 6 weeks prior to my Meniere's symptoms.

Not saying there's any relation, just doing the usual Meniere's obsession thing, you know?

So, how many of you had flu shots right before Meniere's?

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Years ago I had a Flu shot and that was the first time I had ever felt a vertigo/dizziness feeling that evening.

I was fine the next day but once I got fully hit with symptoms years later it made me think back to that day. I have no idea if there is any connection as it was years apart but I never forgot how I felt that night.

Since then, the last 2 years I have had the flu shot as I travel a lot and I have been fine and have never had that same reaction again. :)

3. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Flu shots don't bother me, but we're all different.

I forgot to get one this year, and I got walloped with a bad case of flu. Now, THAT made the Meniere's misery flare up like a son of a gun!

Ron

4. nwspin

nwspin New Member

Never had any problems. I get the flu & pneumonia shot every year.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I don't get them.

6. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

I don't either

7. upgrader

upgrader New Member

This is interesting I had my flu jab a couple of weeks before my first attack in November last year

8. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Yes, & it's all antivaccination propaganda.

If by implication anyone's suggesting that vaccinations overwhelm the immune system significantly enough to cause endolymphatic hydrops, you should know that the immune challenges your body's exposed to on a daily basis (≈2000 - 6000) absolutely dwarf the antigens found in any combination of vaccines (≈150 over an entire schedule). This means you are 9679 times more likely to contract a replicating infectious agent while eating breakfast every morning for a year, than you are by receiving a yearly flu vaccination.

I do. I understand & I'm empathetic to your circumstances. I experience them too. However antivaccination beliefs are bad science, pure & simple. Vaccines don’t cause autism. They don’t contain toxins that hurt you in the doses given. They don’t overtax the immune system. What vaccines do is save millions, hundreds of millions, of lives. They protect us from diseases that used to ravage entire populations & they save babies’ lives.

Let me repeat that: babies die because of diseases that can be prevented by a simple vaccination, & babies die by contracting diseases from those who are unvaccinated.

Encouraging even the slightest promotion of antivaxination belief is a major step in the wrong direction.

9. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

At least one mom is regretting her decision not to vaccinate and will for the rest of her life.
    http://gma.yahoo.com/mom-whose-child-died-chicken-pox-advocates-vaccines-072954362--abc-news-topstories.html

10. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

I am not anti-vaccine. I am sure it is much better for the population as a whole, than without it.

However, on an individual basis, I am not so sure. You simply cannot prove that it is beneficial (or at least without side effects) for every single person on this planet. Everybody is different, and sensitive to different things. We are different because we have Meniere's, which is pretty rare already. Meniere's is likely an immune issue...flu shots mess with the immune system.

There is nothing I could do about it, because it's already in the past. However if you ask me whether I regret the shot, hell yeah I am.

11. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Keep in mind that the job of a vaccine is to elicit an immune response. But as stated above, your body mounts a response a million times bigger to a simple cold virus or the hundreds, if not thousands, of pathogens we all breathe in, eat, touch everyday. That immune response keeps infections from overwhelming our bodies.

12. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

but the other ingredients that are in the vaccines, might cause people problems.

13. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Yes of course. That is true of any medication, including ibuprofen and the dreaded Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Drugs and vaccines are not tested on the entire population for approval but just a random sample. They don't cater to the individual; they are aimed for what researchers believe is the majority of the people.

With that in mind, vaccines do a lot of good to a vast number of people but there will always be that group that succumbs to them in a negative way. It is up to you to take that risk...as with anything in life.

14. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

obviously i'm not the only one suspecting a connection:

http://forums.webmd.com/3/cold-and-flu-exchange/forum/3991/7

15. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

wow so many people experiencing that, it sure sounds like there is a connection and I wouldn't doubt it either.